Hardware S/N Lookup

DarkSerge

Is there a website out there where you can type in a serial number on a piece of hardware and it tells you who made it, it's model number, and other bits of info?I thought at one point I had used a site like this. Sometimes I have hardware I want to identify. Of course I can look at it and learn a bit, like I know the difference between a video card and a network card, but like the specifics you can't always tell.For example, I have a video card sitting on my desk. I know it's an ATI video card, AGP, 64 MB of memory, with VGA, DVI, and Video-out ports. That's all I know about it. Within a few days I'll pop it in my computer and it'll be easy to figure out what it is and find drivers. But I'd like a way to identify parts without installing them.My main reason for wanting to know is that I do volunteer work with a charity that builds computers from donated and spare parts and there's a lot of boxes of unidentified hardware laying around.

Guest LilBambi

I don't think there is an all encompassing serial number database. However, having said that, each hardware vendor, on their own site generally has a search where you can put the serial number.For that ATI card, you might want to try support.amd.com (since ATI was purchased by AMD, and use their built-in website search to search for the serial number.There are various ways to locate the serial number on an ATI video card.

The only thing I can suggest is the lookup of the FCC ID Number...HereGoodluckjolphil
Good one! :hysterical: