100th Post!

GolfProRM

This is just a shameless thread to get my 100th post! I thought I'd mark it in this special way ;)Now I have FOUR blocks under my name.... don't I feel special ;)

Now I have FOUR blocks under my name.
For some mysterious and arcane reason they're called "pips", so you may now call yourself a "Four pip post master". Say that ten times fast! ;)

"Four pip post master". Say that ten times fast!
Four pip post masterFour pip post masterFour pip post masterFour pip pote matterPour fip pote masterPoor pip post patterfor fip fost fasterPhour phlip phost mathterFour peppos masserFOUR PIP POST MASTER!!!! ahh... that was hard!OH WAIT... you said "Say THAT ten times fast."ThatThatThatThatThatThatThatThatThatThatThere.... that was easier!! ;)

Ah, clever caddy catches on quick. Will have to keep eye on this one. ;) By the way, congrats on 100 and thanks for being a contributing member. It's a lot more fun around here when everyone contributes.

:lol: Congratulations! How many posts before they give you a gold watch (or am I thinking of something else)?Happy Birthday!These time zones are so confusing, it is usually tomorrow here (Australia) when it is still yesterday in the US.Joy

:lol: Congratulations!  How many posts before they give you a gold watch (or am I thinking of something else)?Joy
Gold watch??? did I miss something in the member FAQs??? if that's the case, I'd better keep posting! I could use a good watch. ;) Oh wait... here it is.... 'The top poster receives a genuine Bolex watch, free*"*free with 2000 posts, plus $69.95 shipping & handlingGee... so that's how they do it! It'd be easier for me to go to one of those trade show things... could buy a Bolex for $20 :)

Welcome to the club Big Jeff... (almost makes you feel like you've got some clout around here, huh? :) )You know, Scot should implement a fifth pip.... something else for us all to work for! :)

So long as we're talking about 4 pips and 4 blocks and Post Masters, I'm hoping to redo the whole Titles/Ranks thing, and I'm open to suggestions. I can change both the pips images and also the names at the various levels. As well as set what the levels are. If anyone has a hankering to have a D&D, Beatles, or Hippie theme, well, tell it to the hand, as my wife says. But if you've got a theme idea that's more fun than that, I'm all ears (too many body parts).

These time zones are so confusing, it is usually tomorrow here (Australia) when it is still yesterday in the US.
Joy, look in My Controls. You can adjust your time settings there. The default is U.S. Eastern Time, but everyone controls their own time.Congrats to GolfProRM and Big Jeff!Oh, and then fine print about the gold watch (even at 2,000 posts), I just double checked that point and, ah, well, I accidentally deleted it, and sorry, I can't get it back. Oops. (Well, maybe if we raise the shipping and handling.)Funny part is, I just recently got a gold watch from my company. It came complete with a note signed by my boss congratulating me on years of service. I mentioned it to him and he had no idea what the **** I was talking about.So, ah, SFNL would never be so unfeeling as to give out a gold watch, eh? We'd much rather give you a virtual clap on the back (and "hail fellow well met" grin).Or is this my Scots blood rearing its ugly head again? ;) -- Scot

ahh... what sets this board apart from all the rest... An admin like Scot. I've yet to find another board that has an admin with a sense of humor :) ;) And darnit... I was so hoping for a new watch. I really could have used a Bolex. Heck, I'd have settled for a Seeko. Oh well... I guess the "hail fellow well met" grin will have to do.

Scot, So is it "Poster Boy" or "Post Haste", or I can't wait to see what's next... I think the addition of the fifth "pip" is a good one though... just curious: how many posts does it take to get there?

Scot I have actually seen some pretty good ones for post earning titles. The HP,MP, EXP is cool cause you develope levels and earn a higher level as time goes on and it is slow enough, which is nice - keeps people closer. Only bad thing about mods is when you update the board you need to keep adding it in, but only takes a few minutes. The shop rpg is neat cause as you post you earn money to buy fake stuff for your character and the Admin adds the items that you want people to buy plus cost of the item. For instance you could setup a store that sold furniture and you would enter whatever items you want and there cost. As people build up money they spend it and build up again. Lots of neat things out there, have not been to the mod section in a while to see what is new. Yup need to do something ;)

All my life, I have been a "3 pips" kinda guy, and the girls always knew it The accolades always go to the "jocks", like Golf Pro and Big Jeff. Well, I'm going to be a "4 pipper" this time, you just watch. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...SCOT, don't change everything too much before I'm a 4 pipper, cause I need a level palying field...this is a big thing for me, you know...

This thread probably isn't the best venue for suggestions but since Scot brought it up ... I am a member of a good number of forums and there are a couple ways of doing this that I think work well.One is no titles at all, except for mods, not very fun but practical. :) Another is to have generic titles like 0-25 posts = Newcomer, 25-100 posts = Member, 100-200 posts = Forum Regular, and then 200+ posts = Custom Title (if desired) or a default title = Resident. A custom title at 200 posts isn't much of a burden on admin, as there are only a few per month to deal with. Also, it's a nice gesture by admin as a token of appreciation to those who participate. After all, there's no forum without without active posters. ;) One thing I don't like is a title hierarchy scheme that implies expertise as the number of posts gets larger. Some folks with professional expertise may not be able to post frequently but their contributions to a forum are invaluable in comparison to a non-pro putz like me :) with a lot of time to post on his hands. I don't have any ideas about the pips, can they be little gif images of a monitor or something like that?My 2 cents. :)

An interesting twist on the Custom title idea would be that when a member reaches that level that the admin/mods come up with the title for the member. I would think after 200+ posts or so that the person would have developed enough of a personality for the "higher ups" to come up with a good personalized title... :) It would be really neat to see exactly what they think of us! :)

Guest LilBambi

Hey, did somebody mention free coffee! Jeber gave me a double latte but it didn't seem to have much caffeine in it ... better go back for more!Scot --

Funny part is, I just recently got a gold watch from my company. It came complete with a note signed by my boss congratulating me on years of service. I mentioned it to him and he had no idea what the **** I was talking about.
I think he was pulling your leg! Who could forget such a thing ... he would have had to sign off on it! If he really didn't remember ... "They can't do that to you! And if they do, don't worry about it!" :) Hey! I just noticed ... I am now a Message Mogul! Cool! Thanks Scot! :)

Guest LilBambi
:) :) :) Course, I don't think I received either of those when I was Post Master :) But, If I did ... it never arrived ... maybe bacause I didn't have a Post Office :) :) :)

How about...Just startingGetting up speedOn the wayAlmost thereThereWay past thereWhere's there?Needs a jobA nice, orderly, progressive flow. :)

lol @ JB... I think you're on to something there... I think my boss would be p*d off at me if he didn't spend as much time on message boards as I do :)

Hey LilBambi,You're now a Thread Head and a Six Pipper after your 500th post!! Congrats. :) :) :)Edited to add --Hey Paracelsus,I see you just hit 100 posts. :D Cool. :) We have a nice active community here. :)

Thread Head... now THAT I like.... I've got to get posting! :DJeez bambi... that's like 5 levels in one day! You were a Post Master, then a Poster Boy (working title), then Post Haste (working title number 2), then a Message Mogul, and now a Thread Head!! Who knows what you'll be tomorrow? :) Makes me wonder if there are any levels past yours? Anyway... Keep up the good posting! :D

Guest LilBambi

Big Jeff and GolfProRM --Cool! I didn't even realize I had passed the 500 post mark!Thanks for the head's up on the Thread Head!Wow GolfProRM ... I missed the working titles as they flitted on by ... Scot has been busy! And Big Jeff ... I agree with your earlier post ... the new posting titles are generic enough to be just downright fun! :)

GolfProRM,You get the award (it's like the free coffee) for being the most observant.

Jeez bambi... that's like 5 levels in one day! You were a Post Master, then a Poster Boy (working title), then Post Haste (working title number 2), then a Message Mogul, and now a Thread Head!! Who knows what you'll be tomorrow?  Makes me wonder if there are any levels past yours?
He's right, those were some of the working rank names I was trying out but thought the better of, probably for obvious reasons.There are others in the waiting, too. :rolleyes: By the way, some really great ideas in this thread about Ranks. I love the idea of a custom or Mod-assigned rank name. I don't know whether it's possible with this forum software, but I'm going to look into it (and Arena may already know).Joy, I also like the idea of "resident," although I'm going to have to come up with something to go with it, like "resident megaphone" or something. Just kidding. :( -- Scot Edited by scot