Tell Us About Your Mac!

bjf123

Since this forum is just starting, I thought it might be a good idea for those of us with Macs to post a brief description of what we've got, so I'll go first. I've got two Macs at home, a 15" 700MHz G4 iMac with 640MB of RAM and a 12" 800MHz G4 iBook with 256MB of RAM. The iMac is still running Jaguar, though I've got the upgrade to Panther sitting here ready to install. The iBook is running Pather and connects to my network via an Airport Extreme card, though at the moment the AE card and my Linksys router don't like each other if I enable WPA.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arena2045

• teacher

• ross549

• inform

Hello.I have no macs at home, however at work I have plenty :)There is about 25 Macs arround me at the moment and only 4 of us are using them.All in all different shift has another 5 guys so that's about it.On my table I have on my right side, champion in lightweight category G4-500Mhz, 512Mbs of RAM, dual boot OS9.2.2/Jaguar, recently beaten by super heavy champion, G5, on my left side, 1.8Ghz, 512Mb's of RAM, Superdrive, SerialATA 160Gb disk, Super this, Super that, Panther running monster, unbeaten so far....YEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!!!That was an introduction of my working environment ;)

To all the Mac lovers :) :Congrats with the new forum !! I hope this will be a busy place and a grand base of information ! :o:) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Hey, this new ATM is off to a roaring start!I do not own a Mac, but I have worked on a few...hoping to learn more about the Mac and OS X while helping to Mod the forum.Hope to also get a Mac one of these days (to add to my computer collection), so learning more about the Mac will come in very handy. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I feel kind of inferior here with my Macs, a MacSE, MacSE30, Mac Classic II and a Performa 6360. OK, they are not fancy new ones but they all work and I love them as much as my PCs.

Guest LilBambi

Hey Joy,I wouldn't worry about that ... if it works, don't fix it, right?Besides, why would you feel inferior about having several Macs? Heck I don't even have one yet! LOL! :unsure:

I don't own a mac... but i really wish that would change :unsure: The closest thing i have is a 20 GB iPod, but i absolutely love it!I've been able to spend a lot of time lately on the G5s at our school newspaper and love them. I must admit, OS X has totally changed my mind about macs. I didn't really like OS 9, but OS X is just amazing! It's great to see a mac forum here. I'm sure we'll all be able to learn a lot!

You are privileged to work on a Mac! My school and the school I'm working at, look the other way when someone talks about a Mac. Though, the ART dept has 5 G4's and one G3 that they use, and guess what, they have never had a problem with them. The Dells in the labs are always down for repair. LOLWhat generation of iPod do you have?

2 Apple IIe'sPerforma 430Performa 638CDPower Mac 7500/100, upgraded to a 7500/200.And they all work!!And if I had 4000 dollars I'd have a G5. :url: I am also greatly pleased to see this Mac section. The Linux section has been great to me...and I know this will be too.

You are privileged to work on a Mac! My school and the school I'm working at look the other way when someone talks about a Mac. Though, the ART dept has 5 G4's and one G3 that they use, and guess what, they have never had a problem with them. The Dells in the labs are always down for repair. LOLWhat generation of iPod do you have?
Yea, my school is all PC's too. The newspaper office is the only place that uses macs.The iPod is one of the newer ones. I just got it this christmas :url:

Ok Have 1 PowerPC 8600/200MP with MAC OS 8 installed..Have the monitor..but it's not working properly, so have VGA adapter into 4 port KVM then to reg Dell Monitor. I don't know much about it.( have info on hardware but little on MAC OS 8).other than I managed to get it online(still have figured out how to have it play on network with other OS based computers.(other than pass through to internet)..But I do look forward to learning :lol:

My first computer was a PowerBook 5400, which apple recalled 3 times. Today I'm running Yellow Dog on it which was a project to just see if I could do it. I also own a G4 400mhz with 1GB of RAM and a 10GBHD running Panther. Before the advent of Darwin and OS X I was running windows and Linux. I now work only on Mac and Linux. I love OS X.I currently have a fund going for the future acquisition of a 15" Powerbook. It is great to see this forum. Thanks to everyone involved in getting it going.

It is great to see this forum. Thanks to everyone involved in getting it going.
HEY Inform!!!!How ya doin'!! I was wondering what happened to you.....I guess you've finished moving and are back in town. WELCOME BACK!!!

Well Thank you beeTee, I have returned to NYC and am working for a small tech company managing operations and development. I plan on making my way back to consulting. How are you? How's the Sateliite? I miss Europe, but I'm happy. Paracelsus I was in Prague for two years and came back to the states in June 2003. It's nice to be participating in the forums again. Thank you for noticing my return.I was pleasantly surprised to come back and see a Mac Forum.

• 2 months later...

hi there,after years of windows OS's i bought a 17" powerbook last september and am delighted with it. i let the kids used the windows computer to download their crappy songs and thank god i have stealthed it against viruses and trojans since they havent yet learned the perils of windows based OS's. the mac is my own personal computer and i am impressed with its simplicity and speed. i am still learning how to use it and am glad to find this forum just on macs. i have used the windows forums to help me with XP in the past.kevin

I found myself in the Mac section of the store today. I was pleased with the variety and prices of what was there. Now if I could just come up with a half-way decent reason as to why I need another computer. :)Julia :D

I have moved into the emac world in the last week. My question is - how do you surf the internet with only 1 mouse button? No right click to set as wallpaper, back?? Using Safari & IE. Maybe I'm just a newbie to macs! :oBUT, I found that when working on macs running OS X, troubleshooting was much the same. Different file names, etc., but basically the same method. :D

With one-button mouse "CTRL" is your right button replacement.So hold down CTRL and click your one button you'll get alternative menu.But I would advise you to get any third party mouse with regular buttons as I can't live with one button mouse :D

So I can go to [insert computer store here] and buy an off-the-shelf mouse (OK- I'll check for compatibility) with scroll wheel & it will give the emacs extra choices like the right click on an IBM? COOL!Thanks zox - I'll try the CTRL key & see what I can find!! :D

siebkens :Congrats on the eMac, they are great computers!Zox is right about the Control button on the keyboard. I would also agree that you should buy a 3rd party mouse. All Logitech mice are compatible except for their Bluetooth models. Microsoft has also done a great job making sure their mice and keyboards are compatible.I have the Logitech Desktop Duo, keyboard and mouse combo. It's great because it's wireless, and has a charging base station/reciever (one unit) that charges the mouse. It's great! Logitech also has the Mac equivalent key text printed on the keys (example the Windows key is "alt / option" and the PC "Alt" key is the "Apple logo / Command" key). Microsoft doesn't print the PC and Mac text on the keys so you will be guessing if you get a MS keyboard.I would stick with Logitech, or Microsoft... or if you want to go with a different brand, just make sure it's compatible so you can customize the buttons etc on the mouse.WORD of WARNING!!! Do not get rid of your Apple Keyboard or Mouse! They may be required if you ever need to contact Apple Care for support. Example: You may need to hold down C when restarting to boot from the Hardware test CD. A wired or wireless 3rd party keyboard MAY NOT WORK! Just make sure you hold onto your original Apple keyboard and mouse.

Congrats on the eMac, they are great computers!
Alas - they're not mine. I only get to support them & use them from time to time. The elementary school got 25 emacs in a new lab & we've been having fun with them! :)

• 1 month later...

I bought a G3 266 Mhz, 256 Mb ram with OS X. It has a Zip drive too. I bought it on Ebay for $149 including shipping.I'm reading "Mac OS X Jaguar Edition" by Robin Williams, good book.I'll add a few essential apps: Appleworks, FTP client, Safari, and Camino and .......So far I really like it. It will be my main web surfer and email client.Ken