old notebook/netbook/stuck on dialup

zlim

I have a poster elsewhere, stuck on dialup who wants to put linux on an old laptop with only 32MB of RAM. My advice you can install an old version of Vector Linux but your chances of getting on the internet are slim in old distros. I also told him not to spend the $$$$ to increase the RAM in a laptop currently running windows 95! He then asked about netbooks. My experience has only been with the eeepc and I told him what I know. It doesn't have a modem and getting a USB modem, like the Zoom to work has been hard. This is probably because of the distro put on the eeepc.Also note that using a cellphone modem for a 3G connection in the US is too costly. I know in other countries this is a very reasonable to surf but not in his location so I'm pretty sure this is not an option.So I'm looking for any first hand experience with the Dell minis and the Acer Aspire and using dialup. Do these netbooks have modems? If not, have you tried a USB modem. If so, how good or bad is/was the experience.Thanks for any info you can give.

Edited by zlim

I will see what I can find about netbooks and build in modems.What I do know though is that USB modems are no good . . . . getting one is asking for trouble !B) Bruno

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5010953811.htmlOne A140 is with dialup modem and Linux preinstalledBut the others have serial ports you can attach a serial ( non USB ) modelAlso, apparently the Dell mini has a conexant modem build in . . . if you get the Ubuntu preinstalled I suppose it will work.There should be more . . . I will keep looking.B) Bruno

I have a Dell Mini 9 netbook in my hands (Ubuntu pre-installed) and it has no modem. Perhaps the XP version has it.

I have a Dell Mini 9 netbook in my hands (Ubuntu pre-installed) and it has no modem. Perhaps the XP version has it.
Sorry . . . Maybe my info was not correct . . . . On This site ( in Dutch ) they claim in the specifications that the acer-aspire-one-a150 ( Linux ) has a RJ-11 modem ( analog dialup )In the US the price should be something like $300UPDATE: When I google the acer-aspire-one-a150 they claim it has no modem at all . . . very confusing !B) Bruno

Thanks. At this point, I really think his best bet is to save for a netbook with windows (he knows nothing about linux) and if it has no modem at least a USB one should work okay under windows.I'm hoping raymac, who has two Dell minis to look at can chime in too.

He was actually looking for a way to run linux on an old (win 95 notebook). I guess he figured it would be a cheap way to get an old computer working. The problem is too little RAM and stuck on dialup. I'm not sure he is that interested in linux; he wants to get something working with the least out of pocket expense. I don't think it is doable for the old notebook.

He's better of with an old desktop . . . with dialup you are not "mobile" anyway ;) . . . and an old desktop has more possibilities..B) Bruno