Linus Torvalds Defects to KDE

V.T. Eric Layton

LOL, Still not sure if this is "Good" news for KDE, then again, in the long run; maybe it will bring some focus on some of the detail stuff that seem to never get fully corrected in KDE.

securitybreach
Actually he liked KDE because of the customization but he did find some things that he did not like about KDE:
[quote][color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]I'm trying out KDE after a long absense. [/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]It still looks a bit too cartoony, and the default widget/plasmoid behavior with mouse-over pretty much immediately showing the controls for it annoys the **** of me. You can lock the widgets down and they calm down and act normal, but it's some really odd and distracting default behavior. [/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]But ah, the ability to configure things. And I have wobbly windows again. [/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]I do understand why some gnome people think that KDE may have gone a bit overboard on the configuration ability, though. Because some of the "you can configure everything" things are just odd. [/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]Like being able to rotate those desktop widgets any which way you want. "I wonder what that odd rotation thing on the widget control bar does? Whee - trippy". [/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i]As a result, right now my terminal and web browser buttons look like a drunken fratboy has been messing with my desktop. I suspect I'll turn them back to their boring upright position (because that's how I roll - boring), but for now I'm mildly amused by the sheer whimsicality of it all.[/i][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i][/quote][/i][/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIyMDY"]http://www.phoronix....item&px=MTIyMDY[/url]

Guest LilBambi

I love KDE because it looks great, and I can customize it so infinitely.

I usually change the Desktop back to a folder scenario so I can put shortcuts on it more easily. That's just one area I have configured KDE. I would be very upset if they took that ability away as I really don't care for the way they have envisioned their widget Desktop.

The beauty of KDE is that you can change just about anything in the look and feel.

As long as you have enough power and RAM to run it and whatever else you want to run on top of it. ;)

I do love the transparency and the polish though.

I really like Mageia's version of KDE but I hate that Rosa Panel Mandriva includes with their distro. KDE has to be customizable because there is so much default stuff you won't want - like that bouncing cursor.

I've tried really hard to appreciate KDE, but I find that Xfce or the Cinnamon desktop suit me better.

V.T. Eric Layton

I think Linus is having some issues deciding what he likes and doesn't like. A couple years ago, he ditched Gnome when it went to the newer style interface (v.3). Later one last year, he ditched KDE because it was bloated and unstable. He announced then that he was going to use Xfce from then on. Now, he's back to KDE. *sigh* Make up your mind, Linus.

I bet he tires of KDE and goes with LXDE next. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I have to confess that ever since you first mentioned that DE a year or more ago, I still read "XGonad" each time I see it. I know. I'm bad. :(

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I can totally identify with Linus' struggle to find a GUI he likes over the last 4-5 yrs.

Back when they first went to KDE 4, I absolutely hated it. Strong words? No, not strong enough! I really hated it. I actually moved to LXDE and XFCE depending on the system and its resources.

I found I could not even work with KDE 4 even after they released the final on it. I could not customize it without breaking KDE and having to use the commandline to fix it. It really ticked me off. They broke my favorite KDE!

But in time, they finally softened the blow and I now use KDE 4.4.x and am happy with it. Happier than with any other GUI out there. Mainly because I can tinker with it without breaking it.

securitybreach

I have to confess that ever since you first mentioned that DE a year or more ago, I still read "XGonad" each time I see it. I know. I'm bad. :(

Actually it has been long than than that : http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=27155&&do=findComment&comment=274752

That was from July 2009 so I guess time does fly when your having fun :hysterical:

securitybreach

Oh no, Josh, you are starting this WAY to early in age. Slow down killer!! :)

Yeah well may as well do it big when your young. Err not really, I am kind of a boring guy. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

All that techie stuff is speeding up your life. Turn everything off. Go outside... yeah, out there beyond the door where the sun shines. Go for a nice walk around the neighborhood. Smell some flowers. :yes:

• Like 1

I've been a KDE guy almost from the start of my Linux journey.....not that other WM/DE's aren't good(or ummm sound really interesting!) But then again I've been hooked on Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia...and any distro that starts with M( or is it rpm/urpmi based... :ermm: ) Anyway, even during the early, somewhat weird KDE4 days I hung in there and enjoyed the ride ( if you heard me screaming at my computer then,you'd probably not think enjoyment was what I was going through) I still have some things I think KDE could do much better...but for some reason I still look forward to how the developers will progress it with new features and functions and included Apps. (Of couse I could be just to lazy to change o:)

Man, I do agree with the rate of change after 45...seems like what just happened a couple years ago actually happened much longer ago...and for me it seem to affect more than just techie stuff...but it is still better than the alternative :drooling:

• Like 3

I started out liking only KDE. I didn't like GNOME back then. I installed Xfce and Fluxbox a few times, and then went back and took another look at GNOME, and it seemed a lot better to me than before. I thought that maybe playing around with Xfce and Fluxbox opened my mind a bit.

Anyway, these days it doesn't matter much which DE or WM I use -- I pretty much like them all. Right now, on different systems I've "settled down" to using KDE4, GNOME Shell, Unity, Xfce, Openbox, Fluxbox. But I'll use various apps that are not native to the DE I'm using.

So, when Torvalds or anyone else doesn't like a particular DE, I kinda chuckle to myself, but it has nothing to do with how I see things here. Like, when Unity came out, I kept reading comments from a lot of people who hated it, but it also seemed that a lot of people liked it. I figured there were good reasons for that, so I spent some time with it to see for myself, ended up liking it. I'm kinda easy to please, I guess.

• Like 2

:huh: I don't get it.

I am most definitely in the 'hate GNOME' camp. I used to really like KDE , until version 4. I have not tried any of the post 4.0 (yet)

News - Sunrat uses KDE!

Can I getz da /. now? :D

I used to really like KDE , until version 4. I have not tried any of the post 4.0 (yet)

It's been good since about 4.5, 4.8 has been great for me for some time now and 4.9 is recently available. You should try it again. :thumbsup: B)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

He's just following Urmas the Gnomie who turned into a KDE fan boi. :whistling:

I was once a KDE fan.

:huh: I don't get it.

That just means you have a clean, wholesome mind, crp. That's a good thing. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

He's at my board relatively regularly. I think his interests have shifted a bit away from techie stuff lately, though.

securitybreach

Well I chatted with him a few minutes ago and it seems his work has kept him quite busy lately. He said he will be back around very soon :thumbsup:

• Like 1