Grub Install Bug Linux Mint 18.1 with UEFI and GPT Partitions

mhbell

I ran into a bug while installing LM 18.1 on my Laptop which has UEFI Firmware and GPT partitioning I have got the problem solved, but those who will be installing LM on newer hardware with UEFI Firmware and or dual booting with Windows 10 need to be aware of it.

When installing LM 18.1 if you check the box to get the updates and non free software, It gets to the part of installing Grub, and the installation will stall and you will get a error message Saying Grub has crashed and it won't finish installing. The problem is in the LM installer and when it downloads the Updates and Non Free software it installs a grub update which is looking for a key press from the user to replace the original, But during the install the user is unaware and there is no provision for the user to do anything or interact with it. You don't have a choice when installing. The work around is to not check the check box to install Updates and Non free software. You can do that after LM is installed. AFAIK this is only on UEFI with EFI and GPT partitioning. This is a bug that has existed since LM 18.1 was released and is still not fixed. Maybe Clem will fix it in 18.2

Mel

• Like 1