Linux install to replace windows

Steve_H

has been split off from other thread by BrunoOkay, one question I have not seen answered anywhere. :lol: I have a spare Win98 computer in the closet. I'd like to have Linux installed, not as a dual-boot, but Linux only (either SuSE or RedHat). If I buy/get either package, will they take me through the steps of installing this way, getting rid of Windows? If I am supposed to get rid of Win98 before installing, what steps do I do and still allow the computer to read the install disc? I won't be hooking this computer to the internet right away (I have two Windows computers that do that). Thanks!Steve H

Okay, one question I have not seen answered anywhere.  :lol: I have a spare Win98 computer in the closet. I'd like to have Linux installed, not as a dual-boot, but Linux only (either SuSE or RedHat). If I buy/get either package, will they take me through the steps of installing this way, getting rid of Windows? If I am supposed to get rid of Win98 before installing, what steps do I do and still allow the computer to read the install disc? I won't be hooking this computer to the internet right away (I have two Windows computers that do that). Thanks!Steve H
Hi Steve_HFirst: I see this is you first post, Welcome to the forum !!As for your questions, you do not have to do anything, just boot from the Linux CD´s and tell the installer to use all the windows partition(s), it will format it in native Linux filesystem and you will be all right.Hope you will have fun !Any questions during install ? You´re free to post them here and sure will get an answer !:lol: Bruno

Okay, one question I have not seen answered anywhere.  :lol: I have a spare Win98 computer in the closet. I'd like to have Linux installed, not as a dual-boot, but Linux only (either SuSE or RedHat). If I buy/get either package, will they take me through the steps of installing this way, getting rid of Windows? If I am supposed to get rid of Win98 before installing, what steps do I do and still allow the computer to read the install disc? I won't be hooking this computer to the internet right away (I have two Windows computers that do that). Thanks!Steve H
When you boot from the CD (your computer should be able to boot from CD, I hope?) and run the install you will get a chance to partition the disk. At this point, simply deleting the Windows partition will kill Windows 98 and you won't have a dual-boot system.

;) I have two Linux only computers and it was just as easy to install as a dual boot was. I just put the install CD in and when it got to the partitioning stage, I just deleted the Windows partitions and created Linux and swap partitions instead.Joy

Time to make your move Steve ! Now it´s up to you, we will see you back here for more info I´m sure.;) Bruno