Readers' choices

ian

Readers' choices: 2004 Desktop Linux survey results in!(May 4, 2005)DesktopLinux.com had questions, and 3,841 DesktopLinux.com readers chimed in with their answers. We've gathered the data on distributions, window managers, email clients, web browsers, and more in the 2004 Desktop Linux Market survey -- and some of the results are surprising!
Click here for details

I always had the feeling that was a Lindows related site . . . . . but why does Lindows come out so low ?;) Bruno

A little research shows the site is a Ziff-Davis site, not Lindows, or whatever their name is these days. I still think that is a wild survey -- Yoper???????? I wonder if they counted multiple clicks from the same IP address!

havnblast

See how Thunderbird came in so strong for first time - Got to like that and I was once a hard core Evolution person

Didn't notice that. I tried Thunderbird for a while. I don't even use it in windows anymore. I am an Evolution in Linux person and PocoMail in Windows.

greengeek

I'd like to see a poll like that one only with all Linux users taking part. Probably never happen though, I can't think of any way to get all of them to go to the same site to do a survey. :)

linuxdude32

Yoper? Oh, come on! :) Nobody in my LUG uses Yoper on a regular basis, certainly not as their top desktop. Me thinks somebody set up an auto-voting script or something. How can it go from less than 0.1 percent to 18 percent in a single year? I tried it back when it was version 1.0, maybe two years ago? It was OK but it wasn't anything special as far as I could tell.

JoyI figure what shows best is to look at distrowatch and the number of hits where they rank order the distros. Put it on 6 months and that probably gives a real picture of who is installing which distro. :)

Me thinks somebody set up an auto-voting script or something.

There were persistant rumours 2 years ago about Yoper using that tactic to get to No 1 at Distrowatch . . . and they were indeed on the first place for several weeks until the numbers were "corrected" ;):) Bruno

Please note that while we make every effort to increase result validity by limiting responses to a single submission per IP address, respondents are self-selected, and we have minimal control over multiple or dishonest voting. Additionally, our market share results are not meant to reflect upon the commercial success of individual companies. For other perspectives, as well as commercial marketshare figures, DesktopLinux.com recommends market analysts such as IDC and Gartner, among other capable sources.
Self-selected polls are always subject to abuse.I still found the results very interesting. Even the fact that Yoper stuffs ballot boxs.The significant part of this poll is that it shows the changes in a community's preferences. The browser and email trends are probably real and reflect the wider world.

Yoper at #1 that's strange, as it is a stagnate distro now, they have not had any updates for the latest stable version since late October 2004.Ubunto at distrowatch rating a #1 spot? That's funny. :lol:If these are accurate why haven't I been reading articles about them on the internet on how wonderful they are?

Ubuntu articles have been everywhere lately. It has been stuffed in the latest magazines. I ran it once and was less than impressed. Others swear by it. I'm sure glad we have choices. :D

I think every "New" distro rides an "up wave' then either settles in as a mainstream (and from what I've read Unbuntu might do that...or become a niche..or just fad away. :D ...and I think that poll reflects that to a degree..