PCLinuxOS Magazine

ChipDoc

The NEW PCLinuxOS Magazine staff is pleased to announce the release of the October 2010 issue of the PCLinuxOS Magazine. The NEW PCLinuxOS Magazine is a product of the PCLinuxOS community, published by volunteers from the community. The magazine is lead by Paul Arnote, Chief Editor, and Assistant Editors Andrew Strick and Meemaw. The NEW PCLinuxOS Magazine is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share-Alike 3.0 Unported license, and some rights are reserved.In the October 2010 issue: * LXDE: Configure LXPanel * LXDE: Get To Know Obconf * LXDE: Add Wallpapers, Panel Decorations * OpenOffice 3.2, Part 5: Draw * PCLinuxOS Takes Center Stage * Repo Spotlight: Know Your System With Systeminfo * DeaDBeeF: A Lightweight Linux Audio Player * Computer Languages A to Z: Pascal * Reading Barnes & Noble eBooks On PCLinuxOS * Getting Help In The Forum * Firefox Add-ons: Rain or Shine, Forecastfox Tells All * Two new testimonials * And much more!This month's cover, celebrating the arrival of Fall in the northern hemisphere, was created by PCLinuxOS community member and artist Timeth.Download the PDF (12.2 MB)Alternate Download SiteVisit the HTML Version

I just stumbled across this thing and, though I realize that I might be getting more out of it simply because I have less experience than most, I have to say that I'm really impressed. Not only are there lots of articles with good practical advice, but there's some fun stuff there too. It's as least as professional as any "real" publication, and frankly better than a lot of pro publications. Glad you enjoyed it!

securitybreach

Well I have read most all of the issues as well as Ubuntu's magazine FullCircle: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/magazine/I do not run either distro but both publications have great articles and howtos that are revelant to Linux in general. Another great one is Free Software MagazineAlso, here is a list of some more LInux magazines. Some of them are free and some are paid subscription: http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/02/free...dicated-to.html

Thanks for reminding me about the great Free Software Magazine, SB. I realized I was a dozen cartoons behind in The Bizarre Cathedral! :thumbsup:
Thanks for pointing that out, sunrat - I took some time and scrolled back to the beginning. What a great idea for a cartoon!

• 1 month later...
http://pclosmag.com/index.php/latest-mag"The staff of The NEW PCLinuxOS Magazine is proud to announce the release of the Gtk Lightweight Desktops: Xfce & LXDE Special Edition. This issue of the magazine is a compilation of all of the Xfce and LXDE articles that the magazine has ran over the past eight months, and will help serve as a reference source for any users wanting to use these lightweight, but mighty, desktop environments."There is also a special issue on the command line for new to GNU/linux folk."Over the past year, The NEW PCLinuxOS Magazine had ran a series of monthly articles, designed to introduce users to the command line. Magazine staff member Peter Kelly, a.k.a. critter, is responsible for all of the articles in the series. He started with the assumption that the reader knew virtually nothing about the Linux command line, and set out to walk the reader, step by step, from the command line basics to more advanced command line topics, month after month. We have collected all of the articles from that article series here, into one special issue of the magazine. We hope that it will serve Linux and PCLinuxOS users for years to come, both as a reference resource and as a way for users to learn to use the command line, as well as the value of the command line."Guess I'd better get reading then B)

Great links everyone. PCLinuxOS KDE 2010.10 is one of the 2 distros I am about to install (other being OpenSUSE 11.3 KDE4) so nice to get a jump on the new distro. Thanks for supplying that Chip. Also just DL the Command Line Interface pdf and look forward to reading and learning from that as well. Good find abarbarian. :)I'm like Chip in the fact that I am a info junky. I have printed out so many articles and references as well as tutorials from Bruno that the 3 ring binder I have is already full. Great thing is, I can get all the 3 ring binders I need here at work. Shhhhhhhh Don't tell anyone. :)

Mebees one of the mods could change the title of the thread to just read " PCLinux Magazine" and keep the thread as a rolling release. :) The link I posted also contains the November issue of the magazine but it is a bit further down the page. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
http://pclosmag.com/index.php/latest-mag/December issue out now. "In the December 2010 issue:* e17: An Overview* e17: Beginner Desktop Tweaks* e17: Shelves & Drawers Explained* OpenOffice 3.2, Part 7: Letters & Labels* Monitor Your System With GKrellM* Alternate OS: Kolibri, Part 1* Repo Spotlight: PCLinuxOS FLV Player & Converter* Computer Languages A to Z: Tcl/Tk* Firefox Add-ons: CoLT* 2nd Annual PCLinuxOS Holiday Gift Guide* And much more!This month's cover pays homage to the winter holidays. It features some original art work from ms_meme, coupled with some public domain clipart, from the OpenClipArt gallery." :yes:

• 1 month later...
http://pclosmag.com/index.php/latest-magIn the January 2011 issue:* e17: System Panel, Part 1* e17: A Look At Modules* e17: Gadgets Galore* Scribus, Part 1: Getting Acquainted* Grub: Fixing The Bootloader* Alternate OS: Kolibri, Part 2* Repo Spotlight: Radio Tray Is Music To Your Ears* Computer Languages A to Z: Unicon* Ladies Of PCLinuxOS: JRex* Wbar: A Mac OS-X Like Quick Launch Bar For Linux* And much more!Handy for me as I am going E17 with me Archy. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
http://pclosmag.com/index.php/latest-magIn the January 2011 issue:* e17: System Panel, Part 1* e17: A Look At Modules* e17: Gadgets Galore* Scribus, Part 1: Getting Acquainted* Grub: Fixing The Bootloader* Alternate OS: Kolibri, Part 2* Repo Spotlight: Radio Tray Is Music To Your Ears* Computer Languages A to Z: Unicon* Ladies Of PCLinuxOS: JRex* Wbar: A Mac OS-X Like Quick Launch Bar For Linux* And much more!Handy for me as I am going E17 with me Archy. :thumbsup:
Kewl, thanks Abarbarian. I just got my email notification it was available.

• 5 weeks later...

February 2011 issue of The PCLinuxOS Magazine ReleasedIn the February 2011 issue:* e17: System Panel, Part 2* e17 Accessories: ePDF & ePhoto* Short Story: WWW Collapse* Scribus, Part 2: Starting The Project* SSH: An Easier-Than-You-Thought Tutorial* Calibre: A High Caliber Ebook Tool* DVB Streaming In PCLinuxOS* Computer Languages A to Z: Vala & Visual Basic* Firefox Add-ons: FireFTP* Customize Your LXDE Right Click Menu* Game Zone: DOD:S & Steam Tips For Dual Booters* WindowMaker On PCLinuxOS: Introduction* PCLinuxOS Artists Win First, Second Place* And much more!This month's cover photo, shot by Chief Editor Paul Arnote, commemorates Valentine's Day on February 14, when millions of roses will be sent to express undying love and endearment to the ones we love. It was shot last summer, during a visit to the Omaha (Nebraska) Botanical Gardenshttp://pclosmag.com/index.php/latest-mag/3...inuxos-magazine B)

securitybreach
You get the PCLinuxOS magazine emailed to you? Where do I sign up for that?
I am not really for sure. I signed up a couple of years ago but I do not see the subscription on their page anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
http://pclosmag.com/index.php/latest-mag/3...inuxos-magazineIn the March 2011 issue:* e17: System Panel, Part 3* e17: Configure Everything To Do Everything* e17: Running Ecomorph* Using Scribus, Part 3: Text! Text! Text!* Video: Part 1 - Time Shifting TV Programs* Video: Part 2 - Editing Your Recorded Video* Avidemux Under PCLinuxOS* PCLinuxOS & Linux In Greece* New Forum Launched: PCLinuxOS Kids* Ladies Of PCLinuxOS: ms_meme* Synaptic & The Repositories* Free At Last! LibreOffice 3.3 Released* WindowMaker On PCLinuxOS: The Basics* Alternate OS: Icaros, Part 1* And much more!This month's cover art is by Assistant Editor Meemaw, and commemorates the "Roman Holiday" that recently swept through the PCLinuxOS Forum. Of course, since it is March, there just had to be a touch of Irish mixed in. B)

• 1 month later...

April issue with more E17 goodies. :thumbsup: http://pclosmag.com/index.php/

In the April 2011 issue:* e17: Create Your Own Custom Themes* e17: Tips & Tricks* e17: Running Ecomorph, Part 2 - Settings* Using Scribus, Part 4: Layers* Video: Part 3 - Converting Files With MyMencoder* Video: Part 4 - MyMencoderDVD* Remove Video Logos With Avidemux* Burning CDs Over The Internet With Or Without ISO Image* Learning rtmpdump By Examples* Game Zone: Pipewalker* Rudge's Rain: PCLinuxOS Makes Music* Firefox Add-ons: Video DownloadHelper* WindowMaker On PCLinuxOS: Working With Icons* Alternate OS: Icaros, Part 2* And much more!This month's cover art is by Assistant Editor Meemaw, and commemorates the start of the Major League Baseball season and America's summertime pastime, Tux style.

• 1 year later...
securitybreach

http://pclosmag.com/index.html

This months issue had some very interesting facts about Xsane, very illuminating.

I like this mag as it has some very clear facts and information about a range of programs that I am interested in. :shifty:

Excellent!! I always enjoy reading PcLos Magainze!! :thumbsup: