Linus, Linux and Civility

raymac46

Haven't seen any comments yet on Linus Torvalds' decision to step away from Kernel development to concentrate on improving his attitude. Also, the Kernel boys and girls have published a new Code of Conduct which looks like the respectful workplace stuff I went thru about 15 years ago. Is Linux becoming the kinder gentler O/S? :devil:

. . . I'm not feeling like I don't want to continue maintaining Linux . . .
Well, that's good. My first thought was it's hard to imagine Linux without Linus. My second thought was, as the old saying goes, no one's irreplaceable, and I guess that's as it should be. Still, it's good to know he'll still be around, although it's not a great situation if that many developers are unhappy--Linus can't do it himself any more. As far as the PC stuff is concerned, I know that things can get heated between developers, but there's got to be a DMZ between "polite" and abusive. Edited by ebrke

securitybreach

Mostly FUD:

Linus Torvalds and Linux Code of Conduct: 7 myths debunked

No, protesting programmers are not removing code from Linux; there are no purges of politically incorrect Linux kernel developers. And Linus Torvalds is coming back. Since Linus Torvalds announced he was taking time off to work on his behavior in the Linux developer community and a new Linux kernel developer Code of Conduct (CoC) was introduced, there has been endless malarkey written about both moves. Here are some of the more hysterical myths regarding what's happening:

Myth 1. The Linux kernel has been taken over by Social Justice Warriors (SJW)!

Hardly! The new CoC is based on Coraline Ada Ehmke's Contributor Covenant, version 1.4. It's been been adopted by many open-source projectssuch as Eclipse, Ruby, and Kubernetes. While the code isn't that controversial, Ehmke has spoken out against transphobia, which has been seen by some as pushing her own agenda on open-source projects. Her sarcastic tweet ("I can't wait for the mass exodus from Linux now that it's been infiltrated by SJWs. Hahahah.") helped bring on the flames. But Ehmke has no leadership role in the Linux community. And Ehmke later tweeted, "Maybe they think I have a commit bit on the Linux kernel? Maybe they can't read git and so they think that I merged the commit. " Torvalds, with other senior Linux kernel developers, added the CoC. No one else did. The Linux Foundation's Linux Technical Advisory Board (TAB) is in charge of enforcing it. Theodore "Ted" T'so, a senior Linux kernel developer and Google engineer, explained on the LKML, "The TAB can make a recommendation, but the decision to act on that recommendation resides with the Maintainers in general, and ultimately, Linus."

Sage Sharp, the former kernel developer who left the Linux community because of its toxicity, doesn't trust TAB to do its duty by the code. Sharp tweeted, "I have no faith that the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board will respond to a Code of Conduct violationpromptly or with a well-thought out response. Please push the board to release an anonymized transparency report on all past Linux kernel Code of Conduct violation cases." Does this sound like SJWs are taking over Linux? I don't think so.....