Nobody..

ReleaseRoderick

ReleaseRoderick

Full set-up, bought exactly as it was on the day the company ceased trading.

HP Proliant blade DL360-G5 - Monitor/keyboard - Netgear router - Modems - Watchguard Firebox - All phone answering kit, cables, rack cabinet with door alarm etc.

I set to with screwdriver and have it all out of the building piece by piece and into the truck.

Problem...Here I am not a stone's throw from Central London and do you think I can find a competant dude to do me a Linux install?

Nay, Nay and thrice nay. Windows no prob but Ubuntu 12.04 LTS no way. I'd even settle for CentOS or some such if there was a body that knows which buttons to press.

It is so much more than I am able to cope with.

Edited by ReleaseRoderick

V.T. Eric Layton

abarbarian is just down the road from you. Maybe he'd stop on by and (fer a few hunnert quid) resolve your issues. ;)

Ian meet Erik. Erik meet Ian. You already have a few things in common to start your friendship:

• both of you live in the UK
  • both of you speak English
  • both of you like to play with computers
  • both of you prefer Linux as your OS
  • both of you are friends with the "Nocturnal One" (Erik from here and Ian from Avant Browser Forums and my own boards)

Have fun. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Or contact another old friend of mine, Steven Burn (MysteryFCM) also from the Avant Support Team and from http://www.it-mate.co.uk/ . He may be able to connect you up with some nearby Linux folks who have server experience.

You do know that Ubuntu is currently at version 14.x. Also, if you're wanting to run this blade server for some purpose other than just to play around with it, you might want to be using a real server Linux. If you like Ubuntu, they have a server version of their distribution. You can also run straight Debian, Slackware, OpenSuSE, etc. as a server OS. I don't know diddly-do about blade servers, so I cannot be of much assistance to you, mate. Sorry. :(

• Like 1

ReleaseRoderick

Re: abarbarian, yes that is a name I recall in here. Don't think I've had the pleasure of conversation though.

Re: meetup com londonlinux I had seen this online but my impressions are that as a group they are not so active all the time, just rare meetings.

Re: Steven....Dear me no. If there were 10 Steven Burn's they could not get through the work that one guy tries to do. For a long while, I have not been able to log in at it-mate or the forum due to not having my info to hand and I shudder to think what gen shows up on his terminals as some cack-handed herbert like me tries to enter his portals with anything less than absolute clarity. If I recall Steven has a birthday in August...and I've missed the customary geeting.

Re: Unbuntu 14...Sure, I'm up 14.04 on all my PC's and Laps but I have 12.04LTS Server disc from Cannonical at my elbow.

I can learn all if I am taught. I desire to sit and watch/sit and be tutored/put my hand up and ask questions....lots and lots of Qs. No way can I have someone come in by appointment and charge by the hour to hit Filezilla unless I am being tutored at the same time. I have to learn to hit it for the future, there is no other way. As plans go, far too much rests on my own I.T skills. If I cannot master the basic art then I have to give it up.

You might try an email to my old Unilever pal Ian Wilson. ian@redgrittybrick.org.

He was/is a good Linux guy back in the day and is an IT consultant and software developer. He's within train journey distance of London and used to work at Unilever House near Blackfriars. Tell him an old Unilever guy in Canada sent you. He might be able to help or suggest someone who can.

Here's his software company website info:

http://www.compulink.co.uk/~infotop/contact.html

ReleaseRoderick

I cannot really contact anybody officially as it is a Bank Holiday here in England this weekend and Monday.

It'll wait till Tuesday.

ReleaseRoderick

You might try an email to my old Unilever pal Ian Wilson. ian@redgrittybrick.org.

raymac, I have mailed Ian Wilson today.

• Like 1

ReleaseRoderick

No, I'd better not - When I viewed his web sites I was reasonably sure my need was well basic and below anything he would want to spend time on.

I did wonder that he might have a lead on some young student guy with basic Linux server knowledge and wanting to earn a shilling or two.

There is one local lad that advertises his trade online but I think a mail or call on Monday will return a 'I can do it if its Windows' or 'Not my line, I only do laptop Win7 installs' response. That has actually occurred twice so far.

Back under the Thinking-Cap I go.

ReleaseRoderick

You could check with the local community or technical college. They might have students/professors with the skills you need.

I've a bin askin, mate. After I explain that Linux does exist. I'll keep tryin.

no leads from http://www.gllug.org.uk ?

Followed all the links from there. Seems their last meet was June 2014.

I expect they kinda enclose themselves into small cliques and work together from there. Now and again they may have a bit of a get together when there is a topic that requires full response, like Windows launch bid for major Cannonical market share or some such.

But seriously, I feel I can get all the help I need if I want to go into online music but as a first-off way of getting a basic web-site onto a server that I'm currently leaning against is well nigh impossible. It's me though, and I'm the first to admit it. I'm a one-trade guy and that trade sure ain't 'computers.

abarbarian is just down the road from you. Maybe he'd stop on by and (fer a few hunnert quid) resolve your issues. ;)

Ian meet Erik. Erik meet Ian. You already have a few things in common to start your friendship:

• both of you live in the UK
  • both of you speak English
  • both of you like to play with computers
  • both of you prefer Linux as your OS
  • both of you are friends with the "Nocturnal One" (Erik from here and Ian from Avant Browser Forums and my own boards)

Have fun. :)

Thanks for the thought Eric.

Hi Ian, if I can offer any help I would be glad to do so. However my penguin mojo seems to have deserted me at the moment.I am having troubles installing a fresh Arch and also have trouble getting Makulu to configure my graphics card. As to server installation I am a server virgin so would be as much in the dark as you seem to be.

There are some, what look like very easy to follow guides on the net that I have come across though I have no links to them. If you have linux installed and running on desktops then a server set up should not present you with any difficulties and be well within your skill set. The fine tuning of the install would I fear require a great deal of reading and research though.

:breakfast:

A read of the manuals for the HP Proliant blade DL360-G5 might be useful.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=1121486

securitybreach

Thanks for the thought Eric.

Hi Ian, if I can offer any help I would be glad to do so. However my penguin mojo seems to have deserted me at the moment.I am having troubles installing a fresh Arch and also have trouble getting Makulu to configure my graphics card. As to server installation I am a server virgin so would be as much in the dark as you seem to be.

There are some, what look like very easy to follow guides on the net that I have come across though I have no links to them. If you have linux installed and running on desktops then a server set up should not present you with any difficulties and be well within your skill set. The fine tuning of the install would I fear require a great deal of reading and research though.

:breakfast:

A read of the manuals for the HP Proliant blade DL360-G5 might be useful.

http://h20566.www2.h...4ts.oid=1121486

Post any Arch issues you have in BATL and Ill see if I can assist you.

ReleaseRoderick

Post any Arch issues you have in BATL and Ill see if I can assist you.

I don't think I have enough of my life left now.

Had a look here today: http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/linux-network-and-system-administration

There is an open evening next Wednesday 10th. But I feel I may not even have the basic skills for the course and getting the £££s together would be a bit difficult too.

All the other Linux groups seem to be stagnant near me and that includes the whole of London UK.

Fired up the server today and feed it with an Ub 12.04 Server disc, re-started but she just keeps going to the Win Server 2003 without recognising and I don't have the password.

I don't think I have enough of my life left now.

Had a look here today: http://www.city.ac.u...-administration

There is an open evening next Wednesday 10th. But I feel I may not even have the basic skills for the course and getting the £££s together would be a bit difficult too.

All the other Linux groups seem to be stagnant near me and that includes the whole of London UK.

Fired up the server today and feed it with an Ub 12.04 Server disc, re-started but she just keeps going to the Win Server 2003 without recognising and I don't have the password.

If you can , go to the open evening .It may be the start of a networking scenario for you .

There may be a password jumper in the server .

ReleaseRoderick

Oh... cannot put up a photo. The bits in the Help list don't apply.

I wanted to put up a resized little pic from my computer.

• 2 weeks later...
ReleaseRoderick

How does £800 quid a day grab you for a Ubuntu server install and test.

Yes....that was what I thought too.

It will have to sit there unused until that kind of money presents itself.

Meantime, I've decided I can just about shell out for

ESET Smart Security for Linux.

Because I cannot sit here any longer feeling worried.

• Like 1