Arch Anywhere In 2 Minutes

securitybreach

securitybreach

Here is a neat project someone posted on the G+ Arch community

Dylan James Schacht

I've created a new version of the archiso I call Arch Linux Anywhere. Arch Anywhere allows you to install Arch Linux from anywhere with, or without an active internet connection. My installer features dual local repos (x86_64 and i686) containing a total of 424 packages each, allowing you to preform a full arch linux base/base-devel install, with xorg and a desktop or WM of your choice, plus a list of extra programs, all 100% locally.

My installer script checks the status of your connection, if active it will download all packages from the official repos, ensuring the latest packages, however still gives you the option to install locally. If no active connection is found all packages are installed from the local repo located at /repo/install-repo. My custom archiso effectively makes it so anyone can install Arch Linux anywhere in a matter of a few minutes, which is why I have dubbed it, Arch Anywhere.

The latest version of Arch Anywhere can be found on sourceforge, local package repos are updated every 2 weeks:

https://sourceforge..../arch-anywhere/

The code which went into creating Arch Anywhere, including the built in installer script can be found on my github repo:

https://github.com/d...-linux-anywhere

In this video I demonstrate using Arch Anywhere to install Arch with xfce4 in 2 minutes. Arch Anywhere is a dual ISO with a size of 1.5G, containing the following list of packages and package groups and all dependencies:

base base-devel

libnewt

grub

os-prober

xorg-server xorg-server-utils xorg-xinit xterm

xfce4

awesome

openbox

i3

dwm

screenfetch

openssh

lynx

htop

wireless_tools

wpa_supplicant

netctl

xf86-video-ati

nvidia nvidia-340xx nvidia-304xx

xf86-video-intel

lightdm

lightdm-gtk-greeter

zsh

conky

htop

midori

pulseaudio

cmus

virtualbox-guest-utils

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXQ7aqZPplc

• Like 1

securitybreach

Really nice, I've to get some new usbs to get my arch installer ready. How's everything btw ?

Not too bad. I had my 'not even a year old' motherboard short out the other day so I had to buy a motherboard (and cpu since I went the cheaper AMD route and to rule that out as well).

Three days ago I went to reboot and the computer wouldn't turn back on. So I opened the case up and tried again. Well it just flashed the lights and then went off. Since I had this happen before, my first thought was that the PSU died. So I went out and bought a new one and tried again. The same thing happened. So I removed all the components and tried again to power on the machine with just the psu and the cpu/motherboard but I was still not getting any power at all so. Well since I couldn't bare to have my setup down for long and my cousin loaned me some dough, I went ahead and ordered a nice MSI motherboard, a AMD processor and I just ordered a nice heatsink since the stock one is garbage.

All in all, it's been an aggravating and stressful few days but I am good to go now. Thanks for asking

Oh and my RMA is approved for the old motherboard so I will have a backup Intel one if I every need it or build another machine.

Tough luck on the blow out. Neat replacement set up though. I figured out why you bought that particular mobo,

Also, two things that were awesome that I didn't see or read about was that the heatsinks surrounding the CPU are in the shape of dragons. And that the built-in sound card is lit-up like the bad guys from Tron.

:Laughing:

securitybreach

Tough luck on the blow out. Neat replacement set up though. I figured out why you bought that particular mobo,

Also, two things that were awesome that I didn't see or read about was that the heatsinks surrounding the CPU are in the shape of dragons. And that the built-in sound card is lit-up like the bad guys from Tron.

:Laughing:

Actually I didn't even notice the audio part but I did read about the dragon style heatsinks. I just took the side door off and looked at it. That is pretty neat but really I only cared about the specs....

It did come with a neat looking Case badge:

SsuMpze.jpg

I actually had that in my Amazon wishlist from a few months ago... Must of felt a problem coming....

securitybreach

That badge just may sway me to get a MSI rather than ASUS mobo, it is so cool. :breakfast:

It also feels like a metal badge so yes, it is very cool

That badge just may sway me to get a MSI rather than ASUS mobo, it is so cool. :breakfast:

My Achilles heel is dragons so it could be made from anything as long as it has dragons on it. :clap:

• Like 1

securitybreach

My Achilles heel is dragons so it could be made from anything as long as it has dragons on it. :clap:

Then you'll like looking at the better picture/specs here: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/A88XM-GAMING.html#hero-overview

securitybreach

You will of course be trialling this then.

owBQCIn.png

:whistling:

When I do game it's on Linux/Steam so no, I will not be using a window's application.

Besides virtualbox, there are no window's partitions on any of my machines.