Good Reads (Split off from My IT Certification thread)

books reading classics

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

These are "read by the pool" books for me.  In South Florida "by the pool" is pretty much all year.

I like the dead tree variety because they are free from my local library and my city government has dumped tons of (my) tax money into libraries.

I can't complain too much about my taxes, though, because I can play 9 holes of golf (walking) for $5.50. Red Reef
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#102 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

Very nice Webb re: 9 holes for such a good price. Makes it much easier to handle than most courses.

I hear ya about the local library! Great resource! I have been known to get my limit on books and audiobooks from the local library as well. They have nice wifi too. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#103 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Well worth reading although a bit heavy - not exactly poolside reading.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The Gulag Archipelago - 50 years of Soviet show trials and Siberian prison camps

One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich - One day in a Siberian prison camp.  There is a video available on YouTube.

The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#104 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

The stuff of nightmares, eh? Think I will pass.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#105 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

You probably wouldn't like Inside The Third Reich.

Inside the Third Reich is a memoir written by Albert Speer, the Nazi Minister of Armaments from 1942 to 1945, serving as Adolf Hitler's main architect before this period. It is considered to be one of the most detailed descriptions of the inner workings and leadership of Nazi Germany but is controversial because of Speer's lack of discussion of Nazi atrocities and questions regarding his degree of awareness or involvement with them.

Posted Image
Jim

#106 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostWebb, on 03 June 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Well worth reading although a bit heavy - not exactly poolside reading.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The Gulag Archipelago - 50 years of Soviet show trials and Siberian prison camps

One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich - One day in a Siberian prison camp.

You should give Cancer Ward a go if you managed to survive the othere two books.Here is a nice qutoe from Cancer Ward,

"We are so attached to the earth and yet we are incapable of holding on to it"  :cool:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#107 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostWebb, on 04 June 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

You probably wouldn't like Inside The Third Reich.

Inside the Third Reich is a memoir written by Albert Speer, the Nazi Minister of Armaments from 1942 to 1945, serving as Adolf Hitler's main architect before this period. It is considered to be one of the most detailed descriptions of the inner workings and leadership of Nazi Germany but is controversial because of Speer's lack of discussion of Nazi atrocities and questions regarding his degree of awareness or involvement with them.

I have read enough sickening crap of non-fiction about the Third Reich....what would compel me to want to read that one?
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#108 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Ah, OK, might be worth a read. About the author from goodreads:

Albert Speer, born Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer, was a German architect who was, for a part of World War II, Minister of Armaments and War Production for the Third Reich. Speer was Adolf Hitler's chief architect before assuming ministerial office. As "the Nazi who said sorry", he accepted responsibility at the Nuremberg trials and in his memoirs for crimes of the Nazi regime. His level of involvement in the persecution of the Jews and his level of knowledge of the Holocaust remain matters of dispute.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#109 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Just now I'm reading . *The United States of Anger* by Gavin Esler. 1997. Unusual take on political scene in the US.
Linux counter no . 393441

#110 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

The Hasheesh Eater: being passages from the life of a Pythagorean is an autobiographical book by the American novelist and journalist Fitz Hugh Ludlow in which he describes his altered states of consciousness and philosophical flights of fancy while using a cannabis extract.

Cult figure Terence McKenna would describe Ludlow as beginning “a tradition of pharmo-picaresque literature that would find later practitioners in William Burroughs and Hunter S. Thompson.… Part genius, part madman, Ludlow lies halfway between Captain Ahab and P.T. Barnum, a kind of Mark Twain on hashish. There is a wonderful charm to his free-spirited, pseudoscientific openness as he makes his way into the shifting dunescapes of the world of hashish.” (Wikipedia)

http://publicdomainr...esh-eater-1857/

I just started the above. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#111 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

Anyone read "The Kool Aid Acid Test" Ken Keasey. That and" Down and out in London and Paris "Before I walked from Calais to Gibralter.  "Ulyssus" Just bored me to sleep.

Brendan Behan 'The Borstal Boy" a really good read. .

#112 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

I've tried to start Ulysses two or three times. I think I got all the way to page 50 once. :(

#113 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

I've been reading mysteries lately, nothing heavy.  Came across some novels by Joseph Finder in the library--fairly good mystery/thriller type reading, although I definitely felt some were better than others.  Unlike you, Eric, I usually read straight through all I can find of a particular author, trying to read by publication date if possible.  I'm nothing if not methodical. :whistling:
Posted Image

#114 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

I read fav authors works, too. I just don't read them one after another after another. I break them up with other stuff.

#115 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 05 June 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

Anyone read "The Kool Aid Acid Test"

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is remembered as an accurate and “essential” book depicting the roots and growth of the hippie movement.

Read it in the early 70's and then went on to live the life. :whistling:
Install ARCH

#116 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Just been handed a bunch of Neville Shute novels .. Guess the guy new I was into S.E.P.'s once . Until it got way too expensive..

Flew around the top of Mont Blanc once and landed at Mejeve ,for a coffee before heading back to Meyrin.

Know yall know I'm a daft Paddy :th_run-around-smiley: :th_run-around-smiley: :th_run-around-smiley: :blissysmile: :runaway:

I like playing with these yokes :alien:

#117 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 06 June 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Just been handed a bunch of Neville Shute novels .. Guess the guy new I was into S.E.P.'s once . Until it got way too expensive..
Searched to see if your Neville Shute was the same one I had in mind and came across this:
http://boingboing.ne...-nevil-shu.html
Never knew much about him except that he wrote On The Beach.  Apparently he wrote a lot more than that.
Posted Image

#118 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 06 June 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Just been handed a bunch of Neville Shute novels ..

On the Beach (1957) is excellent. You might also like Trustee from the Toolroom (1960). :yes:

#119 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Yes, excellent author!

I recently came into some of Tom Clancy's best novels in paperpack and a prior box that contained some wonderful Michael Crichton hard cover novels from Eric that I hope I will be able to read. The hard cover ones should be no problem, but the text on the paper backs is a bit small for my eyes these days, but maybe with a magnifier slider I can read them since I love Tom Clancy books! :thumbup:

I am looking at these two ... they are not perfect but better than the others I have seen recently:

First Choice:

Carson® MagniLine 4.5x LED Lighted Magnifier with 10x Spot Lens (MT-25)

Second Choice:

1 1/2 in. x 9 in., 2 X Power Bar Magnifier (Clear)

Know of a better one that is at least 2-4x?

I think that Jim would be able to read the Tom Clancy books without that help.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#120 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

You may find some good advice here,

http://www.allaboutv.../magnifiers.htm

If you are an avid reader, you will find that simple magnifiers are inadequate to help you sustain the concentration needed for an extended time period.
A small, handheld magnifier greatly enlarges a few words or sentences on a page. But reading something like a novel requires an expanded field of view and the ability to scan ahead in order to see and process information quickly

http://www.magnifyin...gnifiers_6.html

http://www.magnifyin..._Stands_12.html

I bought one of the full page plastic magnifiers for me mum. Yes it did enlarge but it was not uniform and glare was a problem in electric light. Ok for very short periods but not for long term reading.
Over here we can get magifier spectacles very cheaply which are a much better bet, still not perfect for long term reading though.

Scanning to a pc screen with the text enlarged is a good way to go. Though it is not curling up on the sofa style and you generally have to crack the book spine to get a decent scan.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#121 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I have an aunt who is a voracious reader, but she is nearly blind and requires the big print books. Sadly, I don't have any of those to give to her. :)

#122 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

Go to a "Dollar" store and get some reading glasses.  They cost about $1.

An optometrist told me they will not degrade your vision.

I keep three pairs around the house in various locations because I got tired of guessing where I last put them down.

Posted Image
Jim

#123 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

I keep 1x cheaters all over the place around my house, shop, truck, etc. I have the "over-50" eyes these days, but I've also found that good lighting makes it much better. I don't even need the cheaters if the lighting is sufficient. :)

#124 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostWebb, on 07 June 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

Go to a "Dollar" store and get some reading glasses.  They cost about $1.

An optometrist told me they will not degrade your vision.

I keep three pairs around the house in various locations because I got tired of guessing where I last put them down.

Already have a pair of these at 2x. They work OK, but not great.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#125 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

The smaller magnifiers that can be used across a single hard cover page, or paperback page is best for me to read. One that can double as a bookmark so much the better and lighted even better yet.

Not a bad idea to scan the pages, but that's a lot of work plus, the resultant pdf would be a bit large don't you think? If it's gonna be decent quality to enlarge....
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, reading, classics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users