Mozilla Firefox Version 29 Released

Corrine

Mozilla sent Firefox Version 29.0, referred to as Australis, to the release channel. No security updates are included in the update. Rather, the update to Australis incorporates major GUI (Graphic User Interface) changes. Some of those changes include are listed in my blog post, Mozilla Firefox 29.

What are your thoughts of the update? Personally, I didn't find anything in the update to be value added -- move value removed. Glad I switched to the Pale Moon browser.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I saw this on Mashable this morning. Interesting. I think I might like the new customization features, as I usually heavily customize my FF. Unfortunately, unless I compile on my own, I won't see FF 29 in Slackware for quite some time. Currently running 24.4.0 ESR (Extended Support Release).

• Like 1

Oh dear, my 86-year-old mother doesn't adjust easily to changes (come to think of it, I really don't either). I'm still dealing with change from Outlook to Thunderbird for her email. I guess I'll have to keep Pale Moon in mind for her.

V.T. Eric Layton

The older we get the more cat-like we become. Cats HATE change. They like everything just as it was yesterday. ;)

• Like 1

My first thought is that it resembles Chrome quite a bit. if you are a Chrome user, this would feel roughly the same.

Adam

I like the sync feature in Chrome/Chromium so I'm sure I'll like it in the "New" Firefox. I'm just waiting for the complaints from my wife when she signs on for the first time. She's a diehard FF user. :yes:

The older we get the more cat-like we become. Cats HATE change. They like everything just as it was yesterday. ;)

And anything pleasant that happens once immediately becomes a law set in stone, now and forever more (I know cats, too).
  • Like 1

Back on topic--I just upgraded mother's FF to 29.0 and it isn't much different for her use. I already had her set up to display the menu toolbar (from when I set up the laptop, I'm old-fashioned, I LIKE the drop-down menus), and she accesses her bookmarks from there or the bookmarks toolbar. She rarely prints, but if she does, that's there in File|Print on the menu toolbar, so I think she's set.

I won't see FF 29 in Slackware for quite some time

Eric, I was amazed to find OpenSuSE is at 28.0 now. I don't remember their being so cutting-edge. :shifty:

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Umm... well, Slackware started using the ESR version of FF because Pat Volkerding was getting a bit tired of the every-other-week updates to FF a year or so ago. It was a pain in the rear to compile and add to the Slackware repos each time. So now we're using the Extended Support Release of FF... it's sorta' like Ubuntu's LTS (Long Term Support).

Security updates were not included with the release of the new version of Firefox 29 yesterday. Since then the Security Updates have been published.

The update includes five (5) Critical, six (6) High and three (3) Moderate updates.

Security updates were not included with the release of the new version of Firefox 29 yesterday. Since then the Security Updates have been published.

The update includes five (5) Critical, six (6) High and three (3) Moderate updates.

I'm a little confused--were these security updates included in 29.0 release? I updated yeseterday, and today FF still shows as up to date.

Correct, someone at another forum told me about the security updates, indicating they were posted a day after the release.

abarbarian

What a load of utter rubish. Improvements my arse.

The icons have shrunk in size. No forward and back arrows. The tabs are now above all the toolbars,with no indication of how to change the position.

Why ! :angry2:

• Like 1

What are your thoughts of the update? Personally, I didn't find anything in the update to be value added -- move value removed. Glad I switched to the Pale Moon browser.

Corrine, I just downloaded Pale Moon 24.5 32bit version. I have been a very satisfied user of RoboForm password manager for many years, and I found by searching the Pale Moon Forum, that RoboForm does not work natively on Pale Moon. I'm using WIN7 Pro 64bit, but use the 32bit version of IE. But, after reading through the thread that it doesn't work in the 64bit version of Pale Moon, but seems to work in the 32bit version. Do you think that is correct? If I can't get RoboForm to work, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

I haven't bothered with the 64-bit version of Pale Moon on my Windows 7 laptop. From the linked thread, it sounds like it work on the 32-bit version.

• Like 1

abarbarian

What a load of utter rubish. Improvements my arse.

The icons have shrunk in size. No forward and back arrows. The tabs are now above all the toolbars,with no indication of how to change the position.

Why ! :angry2:

Well I found a way to get back most of the things I like in FF. You can use a add-on called "Classic Theme Restorer". The developer asks for a small donation. Apart from the fact that some of the add -on icons are a little small I have managed to get my tabs back on the bottom and most other things I like. Also I can now have coloured tabs which is neat. :breakfast:

sWK0bfSl.png

Edited by abarbarian

abarbarian

Nowt wrong with the look though it is not for me. Criticism was aimed at removal of customisation features which in my book is not an improvement. B)

One of the most common comments I've seen about FF29 is by Chrome users because the update resembles Chrome. Not having a reason to use Chrome, I don't have that comparison. Rather, I've used Mozilla browsers from the days of K-Meleon, switched to Phoenix, which was renamed Firebird and finally renamed Firefox. Having used it for so many years, I have it highly customized. The incorporation of the "Bookmarks Toolbar" into the Nav bar is particularly important to me for getting to references and sites easily and the biggest problem with the new design of FF. Certainly, I could use an add-on that would solve the problem but I don't need to since Pale Moon works as expected. Besides, merely working with Firefox 29 for short periods of time, it would hang and then resume.

For a discussion at Sysnative, I did a comparison between Pale Moon and Firefox 29 and annotated the differences that stood out the most for my usage.

PaleMoon_FF29Comparison_zpsf1b1b052.jpg

Full size: http://www.sysnative...-comparison.jpg

So as not to be completely negative, I agree that the "rounded tabs" are pretty.

Guest LilBambi

I like the rounded Tabs as well.

I definitely agree, that's the beauty of Firefox. It allows you to have the look you like. Google Chrome does too. They also have themes.

Unfortunately, the rounded/large tabs, apparently added to be more user-friendly for touch screen users, just doesn't work for me -- not when Pale Moon gives me what I need without yet another add-on to "undo" the changes. Yes, I am spoiled by having had the ability to maintain the same customization for many years -- such that it is automatic to look for things in a certain place. (Compare to Windows XP users moving to Windows 7 or Windows 8 :D ) Besides, the Firefox "hanging" was just too much to put up with.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well I found a way to get back most of the things I like in FF. You can use a add-on called "Classic Theme Restorer". The developer asks for a small donation. Apart from the fact that some of the add -on icons are a little small I have managed to get my tabs back on the bottom and most other things I like. Also I can now have coloured tabs which is neat. :breakfast:

sWK0bfSl.png

If you're not lazy, you can use FF's customization tools to make it just the way you want it to be. You don't need an extension to do that. ;)

Besides, the Firefox "hanging" was just too much to put up with.

Interesting, Corrine, my mother hasn't said anything about that. I'll have to ask her. OpenSuSE is still at 28.0, so I haven't worked with 29.0 at all.

abarbarian

If you're not lazy, you can use FF's customization tools to make it just the way you want it to be. You don't need an extension to do that. ;)

Yeah like how ? There is no obvious way to do what I want that I can see. :whistling: