Irma's Gonna' Rock the Casbah!

V.T. Eric Layton

Florida is in her sights. I'm a bit nervous. :(

Understandably. Take care Eric. I'm watching closely because they're still saying Delmarva Peninsula is not out of the question as a landfall and that's only a couple of hundred miles from me. I still remember Sandy that wasn't going to hit us until suddenly it "wobbled" west and bam.
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Irma is officially a MONSTER now (CAT 5 - 175mpg sustained winds, 225mph gusts). The Caribbean islands are in deep do-do.

@Elizabeth... Delmarva is a long way off at this point. That monster would have to make a serious right-hand turn and wouldn't be anywhere near its current strength by the time it got up there.

I wouldn't suggest a golfing get-away in Mar-a-Lago this weekend, though. FORE! playing-golf-smiley-emoticon.gif

@Elizabeth... Delmarva is a long way off at this point. That monster would have to make a serious right-hand turn and wouldn't be anywhere near its current strength by the time it got up there.

Yeah, I do realize that. They are also saying now that it could possibly head right up the east coast after landfall somewhere in FL--that would really spread the damage far and wide, although with lesser impacts as it moved north. And now we have TS Jose warming up in the far west Atlantic. Sheesh! Take care Eric!

EDIT: Um, TS Jose is warming up in the east Atlantic--don't know what I was thinking when I posted this. :hmm:

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

securitybreach

The National Hurricane Center's website is taking forever to load. Oops--just got a connection timeout. Everyone and their dog must be trying to access it.

Loads fine here.

V.T. Eric Layton

It looks bad. Do you have any friends/relatives that live outside FL?

Who me? Yes, to both. However, I won't be going anywhere. I'll be hunkering down with my two kitties and hoping my sturdy ol' house will protect us. I bought the necessities today... cat food and cigarettes. I didn't have enough $ for the Jack Daniels, though. :(

Currently, the strongest prediction probability has Irma making landfall in the Miami area of the Atlantic coast and then sweeping up the coast all the way to the Carolinas. This will be DEVASTATING for them, but MUCH better for me (on the Gulf coast). :)

• Like 2

securitybreach

Who me? Yes, to both. However, I won't be going anywhere. I'll be hunkering down with my two kitties and hoping my sturdy ol' house will protect us. I bought the necessities today... cat food and cigarettes. I didn't have enough $ for the Jack Daniels, though. :(

Currently, the strongest prediction probability has Irma making landfall in the Miami area of the Atlantic coast and then sweeping up the coast all the way to the Carolinas. This will be DEVASTATING for them, but MUCH better for me (on the Gulf coast). :)

Good to hear. I will drink a couple of shots of Jack for you after work B)

• Like 1

Also should be down to cat 3 by the time it's close to you on Monday. Not great, but much better than the cat 4 they're estimating when it passes the Keys, or for that matter, the cat 5 that Puerto Rico got.
  • Like 1

I read that some forecasters are saying Irma may be like Donna in 1960 and just go all the way up the East Coast. Do hope they're wrong, but at least it won't be as strong by the time it gets up here.
  • Like 1

securitybreach

I read that some forecasters are saying Irma may be like Donna in 1960 and just go all the way up the East Coast. Do hope they're wrong, but at least it won't be as strong by the time it gets up here.

The wind is insane though. Earlier today I seen where it got to 185 mph which is the fastest recorded hurricane.

• Like 1

Yeah... Irma is a MONSTER. There's no doubt about that. That thing will wreak havoc anywhere it gets near to. :(

Well it won't be great, but it continues to look a little better for Tampa--at least this thing isn't coming up the west coast. Is there anywhere safe you can leave your vehicle (truck, isn't it?)? I seem to remember from pictures that your house is cinderblock, and while I'm not an authority, it seems to me that would be better than just wood frame. Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

If Irma stays on its currently predicted track, I will probably only get some rain and winds around 25-30mph. That will be no worse than our every-afternoon summer thunderstorms that blow through here around 4PM all summer long.

My home was build by my father. It is a VERY well-build structure. Homes being built nowadays will blow over in a stiff breeze. This ol' place should be fine. It's stood through some nasty blows in the past 65 years. The worst I've had happen is loss of a few shingles and a lot of tree branches down in the yard.

My truck will be fine out in the driveway (not under any trees there). :)

Looks like the worst time will be about midnight - 2AM on Sunday morning. These storms always seem to hit at night no matter where you are. Wonder how they do that? ;)

All will be well if Irma just stays to the East of us here in Tampa. The left side of the storm is much weaker than the right side. If it came up the Gulf coast, as I mentioned before, it would be a tad bit ugly for this area. :(

Fingers crossed. Since Irma is also the name of one of my aunts, we're hoping it will be kind to us here in Tampa (hopefully all of Florida). :)

• Like 1

In my times cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale, I've spent a fair bit of time there, and met some really nice people. I hope they'll be OK.

My niece worked out of there all last winter on Caribbean Princess. Right now I bet she's happy her next assignment took her to Alaska and later on Hawaii.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Security camera footage caught Eric at the liquor store picking up a few last minute essentials before Hurricane Irma hits.

WlxzOBs.gif

(Just kidding, Eric) :P

Edited by frapper
  • Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Probability of tropical storm force winds (39mph +) in my area is about 70-80% if the storm stays on its current projected course.

154010.png

Probability of 58mpg + winds in my area are 40-50%.

154010.png

Probability of hurricane force winds in my area (74mph +) is 30-40%.

154010.png

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... we get 30-40mph winds here in Tampa just during summer thunderstorms. Now, if it gets up to the 50s+, that could be a bit rough. Either way, I'll have a bunch of tree branches and debris to clean up on Tuesday. No worries of flooding or anything like that where I am, though.

securitybreach

Oh I know, I was in Daytona Beach for 13 years and have been in New Orleans for a few years. 50 mph winds is not really a big deal.