#1 OFFLINE   macdunn

macdunn

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hi all,

I have a weird problem involving the installation of the driver for a Lightscribe CD/DVD burner. I have several of these burners including an HP TS-L633R internal SATA drive on one Windows 7 Ultimate machine and a couple of Toshiba/Samsung TSST SD-R6572M IDE drives in an external case and internally in a Compaq EVO N620c laptop with XP Pro. The external works fine with other machines when the driver installs properly including both on my Windows 7 Ultimate machines.

An acquaintance of mine was impressed with the ability to burn the 'label' on Lightscribe CDs and DVDs because of the permanency. So he ordered an external drive a year ago. At that time, when he could not get it to burn the labels on the appropriate discs, I tried to install my software, a generic Lightscribe program and the Nero Cover Design program. I also tested his new external drive on my machines and it worked properly. However, I cannot get his to burn the labels using either of his machines, both Windows 7 Home Premium. And, my external burner also does not work with his machine[s].

In trying to see what is different between his machines and mine, I looked at the Registries using Regedit (I am old-school, having been in the software development and IT field since 1983). On my machines, Win 7 or XP, I find reference to Lightscribe all over the place. However, on his home machine, Win 7, (I do not want to go into the Registry of his work machine until I can get his home machine to work) I find no reference at all to Lightscribe.

I have even put a spare HDD in one of my XP laptops, reinstalled the OS, checked the new Registry and found no Lightscribe (as expected), then installed the software which I use (on his as well as mine), checked the Registry again and found the appropriate reference to Lightscribe and was able to burn a label.

Does anyone have an idea why the driver does not get 'loaded' into the Registry on his Win 7 Home Premium machine[s]? Despite my long-time experience professionally, I have no problem admitting that some things are beyond me, such as how to work with the Registry other than reading it and saving it. I have not had to deal with the Registry in my work, primarily because my work is primarily with database system.

TIA

-Mac-

Edited by macdunn, 04 April 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

Hello,

It has been years since I've played with LightScribe technology, but didn't the CDs/DVDs have to be inserted upside down  into the drive in order for the optical drive's laser to tattoo a label onto them?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky, 06 April 2018 - 04:17 AM.
fixed a typo

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#3 OFFLINE   macdunn

macdunn

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:37 AM

Hi goretsky,

Right, the data side goes down when you want to burn the data. Then, you flip the Lightscribe-compatible disc over to burn the label in the Lightscribe-compatible burner.

The label is burned on and therefore is only black. There have been only five [background] colours for the label side, but I have rarely seen a colour other than gold.

I have, though my continued use, found that you can leave the disc in the burner, label-side down, and burn it more than once. When you burn the same design, it just gets darker. You can even take the disc out and re-insert it, and the design will be burnt exactly where the first burning is. There is a 'register' mark on the inner edge of the disc where it is clear.

-Mac-

View Postgoretsky, on 05 April 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

Hello,

It has been years since I've played with LightScribe technology, but didn't the CDs/DVDs have to be inserted ǝpısdn uʍop into the drive in order for the optical drive's laser to tattoo a label onto them?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users