• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

From an article in the Washington Post detailing how people will comparison shop online while in a brick and mortar store:

. . . when customers enter any of its physical stores and log onto the WiFi networks there . . . Amazon’s patent describes a system that can identify a customer’s Internet traffic and sense when the smartphone user is trying to access a competitor’s website.
Article goes on to say Amazon could then block traffic to competitor's website or redirect to its own website or direct coupons to shopper's smart phone to keep them in the Amazon orbit. :thumbsdown: I'm assuming you could thwart this by not allowing your phone to connect to their in-store wi-fi, but it's still a worrisome development.

Complete article here:
https://www.washingt...-in-its-stores/

Edited by ebrke, 16 June 2017 - 01:39 PM.

Registered Linux User 344759

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

Well first of all, this is just a patent and I do not know of any actual amazon B&M stores around yet. Plus, you have to actually be logged into their wifi for this to even work. Personally I do not have an issue with this as when you are on their network, they set the terms anyway. If you do not like the service, simply do not use the in store wifi. Problem solved..
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 16 June 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Well first of all, this is just a patent and I do not know of any actual amazon B&M stores around yet. Plus, you have to actually be logged into their wifi for this to even work. Personally I do not have an issue with this as when you are on their network, they set the terms anyway. If you do not like the service, simply do not use the in store wifi. Problem solved..

Also it is a bit a cheek to stand in someones shop looking at items in real life and the use their wi-fi to shop around on the net for a cheaper price. That is like going into a pub, asking for a glass with ice, sitting down and filling the glass from your hip flask. :ohmy:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

abarbarian, on 17 June 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

securitybreach, on 16 June 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Also it is a bit a cheek to stand in someones shop looking at items in real life and the use their wi-fi to shop around on the net for a cheaper price. That is like going into a pub, asking for a glass with ice, sitting down and filling the glass from your hip flask. :ohmy:

Agreed
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,917 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

"...they set the terms anyway. If you do not like the service, simply do not use the in store wifi. Problem solved."

I have to agree here. When you use a service provided by someone, it's only reasonable that they set terms and conditions of its use. If you don't like/agree with those terms/practices of the service provider, you have the option to opt out of usage of that service. It is what it is. It's no different that going to your local mechanic's shop or going to the dealer's service center; each have terms and conditions to their services. If you don't like something, go somewhere else.

#6 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted Today, 06:43 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

:pirate:

Edited by abarbarian, Today, 06:48 AM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,969 posts

Posted Today, 11:09 AM

I actually prefer to buy some things locally than online. Convenience is more important than saving a few dollars on some items.

Case 1: I needed a new battery for a netbook purchased in 2011. We drove to The Battery Warehouse. He had none and checked with another store in the next county and they had none. He told me to try Amazon. I did. I ordered and my order was cancelled because they had none. I ended up going to a chain called Batteries + Bulbs. The replacement is a new duracell and guaranteed for a year. Actually the first one failed in less than a month so I returned to the store and they tested it and agreed. I got my replacement battery which is good for a year from the day I received the replacement, not the date I received the original. It was so much easier to return and get a replacement locally than deal with RMA and postage.
The replacement is working fine. (We had no power for 10 1/2 hours on Tuesday and it got used at home and at a hotspot very hard that day).

Case 2: The same netbook needed a key because one broke and won't stay on the keyboard. (My husband grabbed the netbook to prevent it from falling and the end result was a broken key). Looking a replacement keys is confusing because there are so many different types of clips and "membranes" under the key. We could waste a lot of money trying to get keys and finding they were wrong. We went to quite a few computer repair places, even the Geek Squad! You can tell we were desperate.Eventually we went to a tiny hole in the wall place run by a guy who is a true tech.

He said replace the keyboard. He took the keyboard off in front of us, looked at the codes on the back, went to the computer to see if he could order it and did. 2 days later he called and said the keyboard is in. It took all of 5 minutes to replace and he did it right in front of us so I feel confident I could do it myself. The new keyboard cost $30 and a replacement key would have cost around $5 with no guarantee that I could get it to click in place.

Next, I'm thinking about buying an ssd. I'll have the same guy replace the hd with the ssd.

I am not an impulse buyer so I might go to several stores and compare prices. Then I might come home and search online. I don't search online when I'm in a brick and mortar store because I never owned a smartphone to be able to search.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amazon, privacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users