Chromixium 1.0 - Final Stable version is out now

securitybreach

securitybreach

Chromixium combines the elegant simplicity of the Chromebook with the flexibility and stability of Ubuntu’s Long Term Support release. Chromixium puts the web front and center of the user experience. Web and Chrome apps work straight out of the browser to connect you to all your personal, work and education networks. Sign into Chromium to sync all your apps and bookmarks. When you are offline or when you need more power, you can install any number of applications for work or play, including LibreOffice, Skype, Steam and a whole lot more. Security updates are installed seamlessly and effortlessly in the background and will be supplied until 2019. You can install Chromixium in place of any existing operating system, or alongside Windows or Linux.........

The technical low-down

• Chromixium 1.0 is a 32 bit operating system for x86 and compatible computer systems.
  • Chromixium is based on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 Trusy Tahr Long Term Support release.
  • Chromixium runs on top of the Linux kernel 3.13.0-51.84 PAE with support for up to 64GB RAM.
  • Chromixium contains the Open Source Chromium web browser, providing access to Chrome and Google services. Google sign-in is optional.
  • Adobe PepperFlashPlugin is provided to enhance the browsing experience and we ask you to accept Adobe’s license when you install Chromixium.
  • See here for minimum requirements......

http://chromixium.or...ion-is-out-now/

chromixium-1-0-default-desktop.png

Gonna fire up Vbox and check it out

Hedon James

Cool! I'll have to check this out further, if for no other reason to have the knowledge of another tool in the box. I like the simplicity of Chromebooks, but not the constraints of the limited storage and Google-centric apps. Personally, I need more/different choices. But I could make it work if I had to. Another interesting OS that seems to sit in this niche is called Evolve OS, recently changed to Solus OS. It's the same developer (Ikey Doherty?) that had created SolydKX if I'm not mistaken.

I REALLY like his Evolve OS, especially for a Beta. I think I'll like this Chromixium too! Thanks SB!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

I should have, however, use the torrent download. Started the other around 8 pm and when I went to bed around midnight there were still 3 hours of downloading to go but when I checked this morning it was all there and the md5 was good.

tnkgrWk8.jpg

securitybreach

Looking good!

I should have, however, use the torrent download. Started the other around 8 pm and when I went to bed around midnight there were still 3 hours of downloading to go but when I checked this morning it was all there and the md5 was good.

tnkgrWk8.jpg

Yeah, if the speeds are slow; I always use the torrent method which is normally much faster

• Like 1

I'm trying it out in a Vbox session but it didn't ask about proprietary plugins during the install so pepperflash is missing. I've tried searching google but all of the results are for installing it in the browser in a Linux distro and not the Chromium OS. How do I do it?

Very odd as it worked out of the box for me

I tried installing it again and the same thing. Proprietary stuff never mentioned. I know that in most distro install, one of the first options offered is "Do you want to install third party software". Didn't see that or anything else of the sort. At what point in the install did you get to check it?

securitybreach

I went through the entire installation in Vbox, signed into my google account and played around. Pepper flash comes with Chrome. It's only Chromium that doesn't include it.

I went through the entire installation in Vbox, signed into my google account and played around. Pepper flash comes with Chrome. It's only Chromium that doesn't include it.

Read the OP. "Adobe PepperFlashPlugin is provided to enhance the browsing experience and we ask you to accept Adobe’s license when you install Chromixium." Doesn't say anything about having to install Chrome in order to have flash. But I tried to add Chrome and while it says it installed, it is nowhere in the menu

edit: I found how to launch Chrome but I still say I shouldn't need it.

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Well that is goofy because Pepper Flash Player is maintained by Google not Adobe

Ill fire it up and show you

Note: Flash player is preinstalled and it shows as detected on the Adobe test page

I just checked and it is NOT showing in the Chromium extensions in my install. I dare say Netfilx is also working for you but the reason I first noticed the problem is that it is NOT working for me.

What I want to know is how can I install it post OS install or where the option is in the OS install. I'm obviously missing something in the OS install.

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Sorry I do not use netflix so I do not know about that but youtube, vimeo and other flash sites work just fine

All I did was sign into chrome and all my extensions showed up but pepperflash is not an extension so that wouldn't be why

Hedon James

I note the Google Drive icon in the bottom taskbar. Does it actually link to Google Drive, or is it an icon for some other service? I kinda like the Google Drive/Google Docs service, but there's no "official" linux client. Accordingly, there are easier ways for me to create a "cross platform, cross device" doc system, such as Evernote/NixNote and/or DropBox. UbuntuOne sync service WAS an awesome hub for this; I bought into the Ubuntu sales pitch, only to have them shut down the service...thanks Canonical...I did everything you asked me to and you still pulled the rug from underneath me.

My wife LOVES Google Drive because her work provides her a Windows computer, an Apple iPad tablet, and an Android phone (crazy, IMO) and Google Drive provides her the easiest way to access important work documents without saving to USB and/or SD devices. For her, it's just easier to save to Google Drive and have the doc available on all devices, with no further muss or fuss. The PERSONAL computer runs linux, so she can only access Google Drive with a browser bookmark (although perhaps a web app is available?). Not ideal, but functional.

Back to the Google Drive question for Chromixium...is it actually Google Drive or just something that mimics Google Drive functionality?

securitybreach

It is a web app, just like all apps on Chromebooks. This is a distro based upon the OS on Chromebooks so nothing mimics the functionality of apps but instead, they are all webapps.

rVicqJC.png

As far as a linux app, there is grive. Grive basically syncs a folder on your computer to your google drive: http://www.lbreda.com/grive/start

The app is available on the arch repos, so it could be available on your distro although that link provides ubuntu downloads among others

There is also insync which is graphical and is available for all OSs but cost a one time fee of $20. https://www.insynchq.com/why

Insync fully incorporates itself into pretty much every distro including Ubuntu and has been around for years: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/insync-brings-google-drive-to-ubuntu

Personally, I just go to the webpage drive.google.com but you can easily create a webapp from any website using chrome/chromium. Simply go to the settings (three lines -- top right), More Tools and Create Application Shortcuts. Then it will ask if you want it on your desktop and your menu or either one. It will open up a window similar to the screenshot above which is just a webapp.

Or since it is a google app, just open a new tab and slide your mouse to the right side to open the apps menu:

vYNhrzH.png

Note: By default, your new tab page will not look like mine but will instead show recent webpages and such but the slide to the right functionality is the same.

I also love Google Drive and pay only $1.99 a month for 100gb of storage

• Like 1