OpenSuse 11.2 Released

securitybreach

securitybreach

As everyone knows I am big Arch fan but I have used OpenSuse for many years off and on (loved 8.2); even after Novell made a pact with the devil. Anyway this release looks promising and may get a spot on one of my machines if its up to par. I hope they fixed the package management system. Yast was horrible before. Package management was much better before they started using Yast. Anyway, I am gonna give it a try. Downloading now.

The openSUSE Project is pleased to announce the release of openSUSE 11.2. openSUSE 11.2 includes new versions of GNOME, KDE, OpenOffice.org, Firefox, the Linux kernel, and many, many more updates and improvements. In 11.2 you’ll find more than 1,000 open source desktop applications. openSUSE also includes a full suite of server software and a rich selection of open source development tools.You can find a bevy of screenshots and more on the openSUSE wiki, and a lengthy list of packages and version numbers on DistroWatch.KDE 4.3 is a major update to the KDE platform. It includes improved networking support, and work to make Firefox and OpenOffice.org better integrated with the KDE enviroment. The openSUSE Project also worked closely with the KDE Project on theming and branding to provide a look and feel that meshes both projects nicely.You’ll also find plenty of GNOME greatness in openSUSE 11.2 as well. GNOME 2.28, the latest release of the popular GNOME desktop, is included with 11.2. This release includes a brand new theme, improved software update application, improvements in GNOME’s Webcam and video application, and many other enhancements and improvements to prepare the GNOME platform for GNOME 3.0 in 2010.OpenOffice.org 3.1 is a complete office productivity suite compatible with Microsoft Office. This release includes improvements in change tracking and collaboration in Writer, and major improvements to the drawing application.Social networking gets a boost in 11.2 with the addition of GNOME and KDE microblogging clients that handle multiple social network sites, Gwibber, and Choqok.With openSUSE 11.2, you have the ability to install GNOME or KDE live media from USB, and numerous improvements to make openSUSE 11.2 much better on netbooks.
http://news.opensuse.org/2009/11/12/opensuse-11-2-released/Download it here in KDE, Gnome, or Dvd:http://software.opensuse.org/112/enThanks Edited by securitybreach

I can't get the bloody thing to install in VirtualBox. It either loses the ISO image or it can't read the physical drive during the image installation. Will do some more testing.

V.T. Eric Layton

I used to really like OpenSuSE (a descendant of Slackware :hysterical: ), but I was sadly disappointed in Novell when they made that pact with Devil Bill and the gang in Redmond. Hmm... may try it anyway. What the heck? :o

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

I installed it a couple of days ago and it installed just fine for me. It is fast and everything went without a hitch. I use to be an avid fan of suse and even bought the commercial versions up to about 10.1 I think it was. I like the apt-get pkg mgr in Ubuntu or any debian distro better than the one in Suse. I havn't played with it much since installing it. Will have to explore deeper when I have more time.Mel :hysterical: