Mageia 7 and VirtualBox

raymac46

Mageia has been one of my favorite distros since Bruno introduced me to Mandriva (its parent) back in the day. I was interested when Mageia 7 beta came out recently so I installed it in VirtualBox.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. After a reboot I got no graphics, just a >grub prompt. Reinstalling grub didn't do anything.

So I fell back to Mageia 6.1 and it ran fine in VBox off the ISO. After installation it still worked but when I did a package upgrade and rebooted I just got a black screen.

Based on my VBox experience I have to conclude that Mageia right now is not ready for prime time.

I've never used Mageia, but screenshots, website, etc... lead me to believe its a VERY polished distro. Based on your experience, sounds like either the graphics stack got updated, or a new kernel isn't "baked" correctly. Can you boot the updated Mageia with the old kernel?

• Like 2

Reinstalled Mageia 6 in VBox. After kernel got updated to 4.14.78, X would not start although I could log in at TTY. Mageia boots fine with kernel 4.14.70. Posting from it now. So it looks like a kernel and graphics problem.

Edited by raymac46

BTW I agree with HJ that Mageia is quite a polished distro when it's installed on the rails. Their implementation of Plasma is one of the best I've seen. My comments are based on how it behaves in VirtualBox, where it has some nice features like longtime support for the guest additions but has some nasty glitches as well.

• 2 weeks later...