Rickety Ol' Keyboard and Antique Mouse

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Today was a bad day. It started out this AM with me spilling a just-poured hot mug of coffee all over my desk, keyboard, and mouse. The desk was the sole survivor. My Logitech keyboard and mouse both didn't care for the coffee. They are now residing in the garbage can in my backyard.

So, instead of a nice mechanical gamer keyboard and a smooth trac-ball mouse, I'm now using an ancient Dell keyboard (wired) and an old trac-ball (wired) mouse. It's UGLY. Oh well, feces occurs. One day in the future sometime I may be able to get another nice keyboard and mouse. For now, though, it's just the dusty ol' carp from outside on the workshop shelf.

I'm sad. :(

securitybreach

Soak the keyboard in rubbing alcohol and then let it drip dry for 12 hours. Then try again.

I had an expensive (around 200 dollar keyboard) that I spilled red wine on and that revived it.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah. It's toast. I believe the processor on the keyboard main board took a poop. The keyboard was not-so-gently thrown into the garbage can along with the mouse. :(

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I got a helluva deal on that open box keyboard at Best Buy. I don't see anything close on eBay now, though. Everything is in the $70+ range. I can get my mouse from Best Buy for $25, though.

Meh... I'll make do with what I have for the moment, I guess.

• Like 1

Pity. I remember how pleased you were to get a good deal on that keyboard. :'(

My own keyboard/mouse combo is a typical membrane Microsoft 3000 wireless duo. I got a decent buy on it at Staples a while ago. I don't type fast enough to benefit from a really good mechanical keyboard. The mouse is pretty solid but it eats batteries.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, coffee may be good for me, but it ain't good for electronics stuff. Lesson learned (re-learned and learned again). ;)

• Like 1

me spilling a just-poured hot mug of coffee all over my desk
Been there, done that. After doing this a few times too many (fortunately it never took out my keyboard and mouse), I searched for a small round table - like a patio table that was a wee bit lower than my keyboard tray. It now sits to the right of my keyboard tray. If I knock that table over, the coffee will go on the anti-static mat on the floor.

45ed0e955222354.jpg

I also have a recliner in the computer room so if I move to that to read, I take my "coffee table" with me. :thumbup:

• Like 5

I'm still using an IBM KB9910 PS2 Keyboard. While it may not be one of the Classic IBM keyboards, it's still a tank. An added feature is that if I ever get hungry, I just need to turn the keyboard upside down for a snack... (Just kidding, but yes, I do eat at the computer desk!)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm still using an IBM KB9910 PS2 Keyboard. While it may not be one of the Classic IBM keyboards, it's still a tank. An added feature is that if I ever get hungry, I just need to turn the keyboard upside down for a snack... (Just kidding, but yes, I do eat at the computer desk!)

WOW! It's beige. Haven't seen anything beige in a while. ;)

ibm-kb-9910-37l2514-wired-keyboard-ps2-795x596.jpg

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well it may have been white at one point. The plastic from back then yellowed with age.

• Like 1

Well it may have been white at one point. The plastic from back then yellowed with age.

The coffee stains add a nice visual effect as well. (Luckily I drink my caffeine delivery system black with no sugar, so I've dodged a few electronic bullets over the years.)

• Like 3

Logitech K120 keyboard + Rapoo V12 Gaming mouse = $30AU. Works nice for me.

I had my Seasonic G 550W power supply die on me recently. Replaced it with a Corsair RM750i unit for $AU179. They didn't have the 650 in stock and I needed it now. This unit has a monitoring circuit built in which plugs into a MB USB header. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider for a while with the Windows monitoring utility running and checked it afterwards. It drew a max of 250W and neither the PS or graphics card fans ever started while playing. Slight overkill, methinks!

securitybreach

Logitech K120 keyboard + Rapoo V12 Gaming mouse = $30AU. Works nice for me.

Well it's like a lot of things in life, you do not know what you are missing until you have actually used one. Trust me, once you go mechanical, it is impossible to go back to the crappy feel of a non-mech keyboard.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... spill proof, as are many keyboards. Carbonized contacts can always be cleaned. Unfortunately, my mechanical keyboard also required integrated hardware (a processor on mobo, etc.) to work. Coffee and electronic components don't play well together.

And yes, there is a diff between electronic and mechanical keyboards. I remember that difference now that I'm back to using this old klunky Dell keyboard. :(

• Like 1

This Logitech K520 I'm using now is OK for me. I suppose if I were a real typist the mechanical one would be better.

What is most important for me in mouse and keyboard is that it's wireless. My wired stuff always got tangled up in the speaker cables or power cord and then I couldn't move around on the screen or adjust the keyboard to see better.

I'm sure a mechanical keyboard is a nice to have, but right now I'd rank it behind a bigger SSD or really nice monitor if I wanted to upgrade. YMMV.

• 3 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

+++ UPDATE +++

Santa brought me an early Christmas gift...

- a new mechanical keyboard

- a new mouse

They're the same models as the ones that took the dunk in the coffee at the beginning of this thread. YAY!

g610mech-600x426.png

logitech-m570-trackball.jpg

Things are looking up!

• Like 4

securitybreach

+++ UPDATE +++

Santa brought me an early Christmas gift...

- a new mechanical keyboard

- a new mouse

They're the same models as the ones that took the dunk in the coffee at the beginning of this thread. YAY!

g610mech-600x426.png

logitech-m570-trackball.jpg

Things are looking up!

Ah, that is so cool :thumbsup:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

These two types of mice above are the only ones I can use. I'm so used to using them that I hate being at someone's house fixing their computer and having to use old style mice. They seem clumsy to me. I love track ball mice... about 15 years now.

securitybreach

I've used this vertical mouse at home and work for a couple of years

410H05o8YgL.jpg 41OEx2ali8L.jpg

They're less than $20 and they have wireless versions as well. https://www.amazon.c...duct/B00FPAVUHC . I thought it would take some getting used to buy it actually feels very natural to use.

At work, I have to use lots of different types and models of mice. Everything from touchpads to roller mice (ouch, I didn't know that they costs that much).

• Like 1

securitybreach

That's pretty cool looking. I bet I could get use to that. Wonder how it would be for gaming?

It works beautifully. Like I mentioned, there is no adjustment period at all. The best part is that they are only like $15.

• Like 1