Fascinating tale!!

securitybreach

securitybreach

For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest...

Knight stated that over all those years he slept only in a tent. He never lit a fire, for fear that smoke would give his camp away. He moved strictly at night. He said he didn't know if his parents were alive or dead. He'd not made one phone call or driven in a car or spent any money. He had never in his life sent an e-mail or even seen the Internet....

Sometime in the 1990s, answered Knight, he passed a hiker while walking in the woods.

"What did you say?" asked Perkins-Vance.

"I said, 'Hi,' " Knight replied. Other than that single syllable, he insisted, he had not spoken with or touched another human being, until this night, for twenty-seven years....

the-last-hermit-gq-magazine-september-2014-life-01.jpg

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit

V.T. Eric Layton

What a trip! Talk about "off the grid," huh? The most amazing part of the story is that he never broke his glasses in all that time living in the woods. I can believe this, though. I walked in parts of the forest in Western NC near my cabin that I could easily believe were never trod by modern man. It gets pretty thick in the Appalachians in some areas.

You never know what you'll find out in those woods...

alldressedformaneuvers852qd.jpg

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

That pic was taken ages ago... back in the early 80s I think. It looks like I'm in a thick forest. Well, I was, actually. However, it was also the front yard of my cabin in the western NC mountains. ;)

My cabin (I no longer own this place):

Cabin02.jpg

• Like 1

securitybreach

Fascinating beyond words. Great article, Josh- thanks!

I thought so as well :thumbup:

I love your old cabin Eric!! I wish I could have a cabin like that except I would still high speed internet. That would be bliss.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, but it's beautiful. You can just sit on the deck and watch the big fluffy clouds float over the mountaintops miles away. Time seems to stand still. A couple weeks seem like months up there. I miss it. I HATE the big city. Sure, it's convenient for a lot of things, but I think I'd swap my bandwidth for peace and tranquility any time. Wish I had the balls to do something about it, like sell this pile down here and move on up to the wilderness.

Well !!! all ya gotta do is stop wishing .go a teenie bit crazy and follow your dream. You'll live healthier and longer. It was the best move I ever made..Nearest thing to absolute freedom one can get ..

V.T. Eric Layton

fwiw

when i was a kid, we drove somewhere around the appalachian trail

and the road turned to dirt. and we ended up in this house that you could see through.

there was this dude on the front porch wearing a one-strap overall, holding a double barrel shotgun.

"can i help you all?"

to which my dad replied, "just leaving..." ha ha!

i think dad may have got directions (or not...)

Was there a weird lookin' dude sitting on a porch swing w/ a banjo?

200_s.gif

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

That pic was taken ages ago... back in the early 80s I think. It looks like I'm in a thick forest. Well, I was, actually. However, it was also the front yard of my cabin in the western NC mountains. ;)

My cabin (I no longer own this place):

Cabin02.jpg

But you'll always own- and cherish- the memories, Eric. Nice place!

I thought so as well :thumbup:

I love your old cabin Eric!! I wish I could have a cabin like that except I would still high speed internet. That would be bliss.

Satellite, if you're willing to pay the freight.

Oh, and you'd have to be willing to clear some of your trees.

The dish needs an unobstructed view of the bird...

Edited by Cluttermagnet