USB 2.No?

GolfProRM

I'm very confused.I have a USB2.0 enabled motherboard (see my profile for specs). Yet when I connect a USB 2.0 device (i.e. my iPod), it says "This device can perform faster. This device is not connected to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports, click here."When I click, it shows me a USB root hub with 6 available (unused) ports.I have 3 sets of USB connectors on this machine (6 ports). I have 4 devices connected (mouse, iPod, Palm Pilot, Jumpdrive). When I go to Device Manager, I see 4 USB root hubs. 3 of them each have 2 ports, and show the devices I just listed. The 4th is a 6-port hub with no devices (matching the Hi-Speed hub it listed).My question: How do I get this so when I plug in a USB 2.0 device, that it works at Hi-speed?

If you have the sp2 on your windows xp Pro version the usb 2 should work. I had the same problem until I installed sp2, then autodetect worked with no problems.

Edited by Hawk

Are you plugging it in a USB port that is in the front of your computer? Try a port on the back of the tower.Is your Jumpdrive a USB2 flash drive? Do you get that error with that as well?

nlinecomputers

I'm with Arena here. Check the device with your back ports, those are built on the mobo. The front ports are using a cable set provided by the maker of your chassis, No? That cable set might not be 2.0 rated.

I've tried every port on my system (2 on the mobo, 2 on the connector that came with the mobo, and the two on the front).My Jumpdrive is 2.0 rated, and I have a 4th Gen iPod (click wheel). Both give me the same error.I've tried removing all the devices but the ipod or the drive. I've tried removing all USB entries in device manager.

Edited by GolfProRM

I'd go into the BIOS and make sure that Hi-Speed USB is enabled. Some BIOSes have a setting where you can disable the USB 2.0.

There should be USB 2.0 drivers for OSs < WinXP SP2 provided by the manufacturer of the motherboard, or by the manufacturer of the chipset on the motherboard.

Okay... Device drivers are updated (latest VIA 4-in-1 driver, and BIOS updates). BIOS has USB 2.0 enabled.Running WinXP SP2, so there are no USB drivers to update... My device manager shows the enhanced USB controller, so I know I have USB 2.0 available. I've checked to make sure my cord connectors are correct, and per the mobo book, they are USB2 connectors, and the rear connector slot is labeled USB2.0.Nothing has worked though!

• 2 months later...

Any progress yet?Just asking because I have a similar problem...Running XP SP2 on a Epox EP-8KHA+ mobo with 768MB DDR RAM and latest BIOS-update I could get (16 sep.2003) : no USB 2.0 sockets on this board, only 1.1 ; So I bought a USB PCI-card (with NEC-chipset) : I'm struggling with this crap for 10 days now and still couldn't get USB 2.0 working ok.(Heck, I even bought 2 other PCI USB cards with other chipsets on it, neither of them will work.)It's getting detected ok but : connect a Sandisk Imagemate 12 in 1 card reader on it : no problem, then put a xD card in there and try to copy the pictures on it to an empty folder on the desktop... it's a no-go, either the proces just stops and after a minute there's some error message (parameter not supported) and the copy process exits.A few pictures were copied ,the rest not. After a restart the same happens again, but often now 3 quarter of the pictures get copied and then the above behaviour repeats itself.Or the copy process stops somewhere halfway with the same result as above.I've tried changing the location of the USB 2.0 card to a different PCI slot, heck I've tried them all even incl. the second (near the AGP) and the last one.I even tried changing the IRQ to no avail.The most strange thing I have seen is this : I also have another (junker-) pc here, running an AMD k6-500 with 512MB RAM running Win2k-SP4 : also a PCI USB-card in there with an NEC-chip, running flawlessly while testing with the above mentioned card reader/xD card combo for testing... Go figure ![ I'm thinking of a mobo change : I have an Asus A7N8X-X in mind, but the question is can it run the AMD Athlon XP-2400+ incl. the PC2100 RAM i have on the old mobo? The Asus has on the board USB 2.0 ! )

Edited by striker

I ended up buying a new mobo and that solved my problem.Of course then a month later, my CPU blew and took the mobo with it! CPU out of warranty, and since the CPU blew the board, they wouldn't give me a replacement.Ended up buying brand new CPU/MoBo/RAM, and am thoroughly enjoying my new AMD 64 system :)Just to clarify, the issue I had was that my USB ports worked, but only as 1.1 ports, they would not give me hi-speed connections. I never had data errors, but just slow connection.

USB is odd sometimes. On my system, it only identifies one of my ports as USB 2, but when I plug my USB2 Thumb drive to any port, I don't get that message about "This device can perform faster..." When I plug it into a computer at the university, I get that message on their lab computers, so I know the thumb drive is USB2, and my ports, although not labeled USB2, don't give me that error.

To be sure I've just ordered a new mobo, an Asus A7N8X-X.In the mean time I have one dirty trick left in my sleeve to get it going on this mobo :remove all PCI cards, disable all USB 1 in the BIOS and reset its settings, place an USB 2.0 PCI card w/ NEC chipset (the best chance) and restart the pc and reinstall windows.(I've got images of it and I've jotted down where all PCI cards were in which slots,also I have screenshots of all BIOS screens. :rolleyes: ) I'm posting the above last-resort trick just for others having the same problem, I'm not going to do it myself now I've ordered a new mobo. I have been fighting this one for 10 days in a row now so I've had it.For me it's going to be a new mobo.

Edited by striker

• 7 months later...

I have got same message when I plug portable HD 30 GB to Desktop (windows XP Prof SP2)."This USB Device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports click her".And as far as I remmember I had same problem with my laptop (Dell Latitude D600), but I forgot what was the OS at that time . And laptop has got only two ports.

Edited by ross549

Altho' a little late in this thread, but just in case someone else may read, like I did ...There are 3 types of USB 2 ...1. Low Speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (183 KiB/s) that is mostly used for Human Interface Devices (HID) such as keyboards, mice and joysticks.2. Full Speed rate of 12 Mbit/s (1.4 MiB/s). Full Speed was the fastest rate before the USB 2.0 specification and many devices fall back to Full Speed. Full Speed devices divide the USB bandwidth between them in a first-come first-served basis and it is not uncommon to run out of bandwidth with several isochronous devices. All USB Hubs support Full Speed.3. Hi-Speed rate of 480 Mbit/s (57 MiB/s).Not all USB 2.0 devices are Hi-Speed. If it does not say HIGH SPEED on the box ... then it aint HS. :thumbsup: My MB has HS USB 2 on only one pair of ports, the other two ports are USB 1.1 ... never knew that until I had the same 'error' as yourself ... bought a HS USB 2 powered HUB, 'problem' solved. B)

I have got Laptop Dell Latitude D600 Pantium M, with this laptop there are two USB ports.How can I know if there are USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 ?Are they identical ?

Check in Device manager. If it doesn't specify USB 2 then it isn't.I found the info online: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/p...viewstab#tabtopI suspect the same info is in the sheet that came with the computer.
According to their Product Brochure (pdf) it has 2 USB 2 ports.In Device Manager like Liz said you can check this if you want to know for sure.USB2 shows an Enhanced Hostcontroller, USB1 does not.

The confusion is another marketing problem that the hardware manufacturers have bungled. muckshifter has it partly right, that Enhanced USB is USB 2.0. USB 1.1 and 2.0 refer to the standard and not the actual speed of the bus. Technically speaking, all devices that run at 1.5, 12, and 480 Mb/s are part of the USB 2.0 specification. This is why the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has taken great pains to clarify the situation with regards to nomenclature of USB devices.There are two speed versions of the USB 2.0 spec:Hi-Speed which runs up to 480 Mb/s the original spec andBasic-Speed which is up to 12 Mb/shttp://www.usb.org/developers/packagingTo recap: Basic-Speed USB devices run either at 1.5 Mb/s or 12 Mb/s; Hi-Speed USB devices can run up to 480 Mb/s or fall back to the lower speeds. BOTH types are USB 2.0-compliant. In otherwords, all USB controllers sold on the market are USB 2.0 devices but they may not be Hi-Speed USB devices. This is like the problem with the motherboard. Technically, it is a USB 2.0 controller according to the manufacturer, but it is not likely a Hi-Speed USB hub.

It's all in the numbers ... and the manufacturers have been playing that game for years.My take is ... if it don't say Hi-Speed on the box ... then I don't get USB 2 and nor will I buy it. :) My MB box says Hi-Speed USB 2 ... they did not tell me I only had one ... so the others are not used by my Hi-Speed devices. :lol:

Sort of like the SATA fiasco that is already happening in the hard drive market. SATA II is not the same as SATA 2.5 nor is it meant to convey 3Gb/s. SATA II was the working group that was formed to develop the next specification for SATA and the organization is now called SATA-IO (Serial ATA International Organization). SATA II was picked up by the marketing people in the hard drive manufacturers. Saying something is SATA II-compliant doesn't mean it is 3Gb/s capable. This speed is part of the SATA 2.5 spec and not many hard drives and controllers have been qualified yet.

Sort of like the SATA fiasco that is already happening in the hard drive market. SATA II is not the same as SATA 2.5.
I'm one of them boring sods that actually reads White Papers ... :o :lol: I look for the 'real' numbers, hard to find sometimes. :) Must ask Bruno one day how to import IE Favorites into FF on Linux I have an absolute crap load of 'em :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the same problem with my dell inspiron 9200... the 2.0 USBs are slow and give me the message that it can perform faster with a high-speed USB! Did anyone come up with a fix other than buying a new mobo? I still have a warranty. Should I press Dell to fix it? Thanks for any help.