Mandriva 2007.1 Keyboard Buttons

Grogerf

Hallo Folks :D ,I'm having a problem setting up one of the three keyboard buttons I have to work properly after re-start/reboot. I don't have the same problem in Mandriva 2007.1 One :hmm: The problem is that I set up the keyboard shortcut for search to use Firefox homed on Google Australia it1. Doesn't set the button reliably (even after de-selecting & then reselecting the 'custom key' ) and2. The setting isn't remembered after restart/reboot.Having selected the keyboard layout Mandriva takes me to Konqueror homed on Google France, and when ever I reboot/restart it's back again :angry: I can set the button two ways either through keyboard shortcuts or through the menu editor (I have to add an menu item of Firefox search /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox "www.google.com.au" into the menu to start with) & save changes.Either way I end up with the same result - it works until the next reboot. Then I'm back at Google France and Konqeror :'( :thumbsdown: Can someone tell me how to make the changes so that they stay after re-boot? :) The 'problem' seems to be associated with the kernel update - which I haven't done on the machine with the 'One' version.Looking forward to nailing this one :thumbsup: Grogerf

While you're using the menu editor method, and after having saved the changes, check the working of the menu item to be correct.Then reboot...Now after the machine has restarted and the desktop is up again, first check the properties of the menu item. Are these changed now ? :thumbsdown: You see, I'm wondering if we might have a glitch/bug at the menu editor.

While you're using the menu editor method, and after having saved the changes, check the working of the menu item to be correct.Then reboot...Now after the machine has restarted and the desktop is up again, first check the properties of the menu item. Are these changed now ? :thumbsup: You see, I'm wondering if we might have a glitch/bug at the menu editor.
Hallo Striker :hmm: ,Thanks for your help :thumbsdown: After reboot the menu item works correctly from the menu, but not from the button. When I go into the menu editor the shortcut key is shown correctly and I can't see any changes.Curiously there are no shortcut keys shown for Kontact (Works on 'Mail' button without me altering anything), or for Konqueror homed on Google France which does work on the search button :angry: - which I don't want :D I suppose I could use it as a reason to polish up my twenty odd year ago French :'( , but I'd rather it worked the the way I want it to!Grogerf Edited by Grogerf

Mmm, what happens when you use their IP number instead of the www.google. thing ?(64.233.183.103)You see, it remembers me about setting up myself a shortcut to google only to discover that it would always revert to the .nl one, not the us english one I wanted it to go to. Now I often use the correct IP address and I'm landing straight where I want to be.So maybe it'll work, try it out, you'll never know. :thumbsdown:

Mmm, what happens when you use their IP number instead of the www.google. thing ?(64.233.183.103)You see, it remembers me about setting up myself a shortcut to google only to discover that it would always revert to the .nl one, not the us english one I wanted it to go to. Now I often use the correct IP address and I'm landing straight where I want to be.So maybe it'll work, try it out, you'll never know. ;)
Hallo Striker :D ,Thanks for your suggestion ;) - I'll give it a try when I work out how to do it :)However, the problem is more than the location, when I use the 'Search' button after a reboot Konqueror comes up in web browser mode - not Firefox :( . This is more puzzling still, because I have set up KDE to use Firefox in the control centre>KDE components>Component chooser. It works if I click on an address in a mail message, but not for that @#! 'Search' button :( Of course the menu item 'Firefox Search' continues to work as it should - it just seems that the shortcut is over-written every time a reboot happens - but if I go back into the keyboard shortcuts after a reboot every thing looks correct. It just won't work again until I de-select the shortcut in both the keyboard shortcuts and the menu editor & then re-apply them, but it only lasts until the next re-boot even though I've 'saved' the changes in the menu editor :( Grogerf

Tell you what Grogerf, why don't you just make a little step-by-step tutor to set this up so we can try to replicate it ? We then don't have to move in circles and can easier try to see where the actual problems come from and search for a solution. ;)

Tell you what Grogerf, why don't you just make a little step-by-step tutor to set this up so we can try to replicate it ? We then don't have to move in circles and can easier try to see where the actual problems come from and search for a solution. ;)
Hallo striker :( Thanks for your reply :) :D Good idea :( - I'll create a step by step set of instructions showing what I've done. Unfortunately I have to go soon ;) - when I get back I'll get creative :( Grogerf

Ok, see you then. :D
Hallo striker :D Here is what I did - with a little pre-amble to show how I got to this point:-First of all I set up the keyboard buttons to work with Mandriva 2007 Powerpack -X86-64 - running on the system - without any problems by setting the keyboard layout and menu shortcuts as described below :worthy: Some time later I updated to Mandriva 2007.1 "Spring' Free i586 by doing a 'clean' install as suggested on this forum :clap2: The update process seemed to go well and I did not notice that any of the keyboard buttons weren't working as they had the only thing I had to do was to install the NVidia drivers :) Immediately after updating to the new kernel I noticed that the NVidia video drivers weren't working and fixed this problem with the help of this Forum :) A few days later I noticed that only two of the three keybord buttons worked properly. The 'Search' button now works in the default state, and brings up Konqueror web browser homed on Google France :'( To try to get the button back to bringing up Firefox opening with Google Australia this was what I did:-1. Checked that the menu item 'Firefox Search' (set up with Mdv 2007 Powerpack X64) was intact and still worked - it did the command is /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox "www.google.com.au" :o 2. Went to 'Keyboard Layouts' via the menu System ->configuration->KDE->Regional & Accesibility->ensure that 'enable keyboard layouts' box is selected. Then check that the keyboard model is still selected as Microsoft ...... It was :w00t: 3. Went to 'Keyboard Shortcuts' via the menu System ->configuration->KDE->Regional & Accesibility->Keyboard Shortcuts. Then select Command Shortcuts tab->Internet->Web browswers->"Firefox search". It showed the XF86 key as being the shortcut->selected 'none' button->apply->OK to remove the none working shortcut.4. Went to KDE Menu editor System->Congiguration->Menu Editor->Select Internet->Firefox Search->Click on Shortcut key button (showing none)->box comes up-> press the 'Search Key'->XF86Search comes up in box->selectKDE menu editor file save-> shows 'updating system'. 'Search' button didn't work - still Konqueror & Google France :'( 5. Went to 'Keyboard Shortcuts' via the menu System ->configuration->KDE->Regional & Accesibility->Keyboard Shortcuts. Then select Command Shortcuts tab->Internet->Web browswers->"Firefox search". It showed the XF86 key as being the shortcut->selected 'none' button->apply->OK to remove the none working shortcut->then select 'custom' button, brings up box, press 'search button'->XF86Search comes up in box->press 'Apply'->press 'OK'6. 'Search' now works :P - but only until next reboot :thumbsup: .7. Hope that this isn't too confusing :hmm: I've just gone through the procedure I used again to confirm everything as I wrote it down B) The only thing I haven't done yet is re-boot - but from past experience I'm pretty sure that it will be back to Konqueror & Google France on that button after the re-boot :( Looking forward to learning that I've missed a simple critical step - but can't think what it could be, I tried to save everything :hmm: As a matter of curiosity I set up the same keyboard the same way on my old machine which runs Mandriva One Spring - works fine - but when I added another user and try to do it again for the second user the system has 're-boot amnesia' for that one button - but only for the second user :wacko: Grogerf

I'll see to it later this morning Grogerf, thanks for posting ! :thumbsup:
Hallo striker :unsure: Thanks for your reply - I'm looking forward to nailing this annoying amnesia :D By the way - yes I have rebooted since the last post & yes I'm back to Konqueror & Google France with the#@##! Search key :thumbsup: Grogerf

Grogerf, I experimented the whole morning with your tutor but was not able to set things up as you described.However I do have a desktop icon for Firefox which goes straight to google when clicked on. For this occasion I adapted the shortcut to go to google australia when clicked on and that one works fine.I used this as a starting point for the rest which follows below .... :) This is what I have in the Properties, tab Application of the desktop icon of firefox:Command = 'exact_path_to_FF-executable' http://www.google.com.au/or :Command = 'exact_path_to_FF-executable' 64.233.183.147Back to the Firefox Desktop shortcut from above : that one functions OK, now if we could hang a shortcut to it, it would serve the same goal as you were trying to accomplish with your keyboard layout/shortcut set up attempt. :unsure: It's not easy but there are a couple of ways ...Start programs like a pro with XBindKeysSee : http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/10/176226

XBindKeys, as the name implies, binds keys to a command. It runs in the background and waits for you to run a shortcut that's defined in its configuration file.
I installed and set it up it in my Fedora distro ...it didn't work ... :D I then found this document:http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/18/1546209especially the 'Launching applications' section.I set it it up like below:In the KDE menu structure there's an entry for Firefox : KDE > Internet.The properties of that shortcut I modified to read:'exact_path_to_FF-executable' 64.233.161.147In your case the 'exact_path_to_FF-executable' will already be there.Read on...Control Center > Regional and Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts > tab Command Shortcuts : select and highlight the Firefox entry in the Internet section;Now at the bottom of this window where it reads 'Shortcut for selected command' select the custom radio button and hit the push button at the right of it : fill in the shortcut you want, I opted to keep it simple and selected Alt+F. Now click on Apply and close the Control Center. (and don't do the suggestion placed at the upper half of the window to go to the menu editor and blah blah blah ... it doesn't work.)Now on your desktop back again ? Nice, hit Alt+F and there ya go : Firefox launches and immediately opens up the australian google page !. Go on, try it !Enough ? Close FF, reboot the machine and try again : you'll see it doesn't work anymore. Duh ! Yep, but I found out why ... :D Did you still have 'Current scheme' selected at the Shortcut Schemes ??? There you have the culprit, while being selected and then doing any modifications these won't get saved through the next reboot, because the Current Scheme acts as a fallback scheme and thereby gets overwritten at reboot with a hardcoded copy. So there goes your modification. :( What you have to do is this:Control Center > Regional and Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts > tab Shortcut Schemes > select Windows scheme (with Win Key) > hit the Apply button > hit tab Command Shortcuts > select and highlight the Firefox entry in the Internet section;Now at the bottom of this window where it reads 'Shortcut for selected command' select the custom radio button and hit the push button at the right of it : fill in the shortcut you want, I opted to (again) keep it simple and selected Alt+F. Now click on Apply and close the Control Center. :thumbsup: Back with an empty desktop try Alt+F : Firefox launches and immediately opens up the australian google page.Log out and back in and repeat Alt+F : it still works.Now reboot the machine and repeat with Alt+F : you'll see this time it still works. :thumbsup: Took me a couple of hours to find this out,only combining this and that and at last looking through the help file of these shortcuts, I saw why it is impossible the way you did it and the way I above tried to replicate it. I hope you can follow the above little step-by-step to accomplish your task now, here on my machine now it works OK. :(

Grogerf, I experimented the whole morning with your tutor but was not able to set things up as you described.However I do have a desktop icon for Firefox which goes straight to google when clicked on. For this occasion I adapted the shortcut to go to google australia when clicked on and that one works fine.I used this as a starting point for the rest which follows below .... ;) This is what I have in the Properties, tab Application of the desktop icon of firefox:Command = 'exact_path_to_FF-executable' http://www.google.com.au/or :Command = 'exact_path_to_FF-executable' 64.233.183.147Back to the Firefox Desktop shortcut from above : that one functions OK, now if we could hang a shortcut to it, it would serve the same goal as you were trying to accomplish with your keyboard layout/shortcut set up attempt. :hmm: It's not easy but there are a couple of ways ...Start programs like a pro with XBindKeysSee : http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/10/176226I installed and set it up it in my Fedora distro ...it didn't work ... :( I then found this document:http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/18/1546209especially the 'Launching applications' section.I set it it up like below:In the KDE menu structure there's an entry for Firefox : KDE > Internet.The properties of that shortcut I modified to read:'exact_path_to_FF-executable' 64.233.161.147In your case the 'exact_path_to_FF-executable' will already be there.Read on...Control Center > Regional and Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts > tab Command Shortcuts : select and highlight the Firefox entry in the Internet section;Now at the bottom of this window where it reads 'Shortcut for selected command' select the custom radio button and hit the push button at the right of it : fill in the shortcut you want, I opted to keep it simple and selected Alt+F. Now click on Apply and close the Control Center. (and don't do the suggestion placed at the upper half of the window to go to the menu editor and blah blah blah ... it doesn't work.)Now on your desktop back again ? Nice, hit Alt+F and there ya go : Firefox launches and immediately opens up the australian google page !. Go on, try it !Enough ? Close FF, reboot the machine and try again : you'll see it doesn't work anymore. Duh ! Yep, but I found out why ... :D Did you still have 'Current scheme' selected at the Shortcut Schemes ??? There you have the culprit, while being selected and then doing any modifications these won't get saved through the next reboot, because the Current Scheme acts as a fallback scheme and thereby gets overwritten at reboot with a hardcoded copy. So there goes your modification. :( What you have to do is this:Control Center > Regional and Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts > tab Shortcut Schemes > select Windows scheme (with Win Key) > hit the Apply button > hit tab Command Shortcuts > select and highlight the Firefox entry in the Internet section;Now at the bottom of this window where it reads 'Shortcut for selected command' select the custom radio button and hit the push button at the right of it : fill in the shortcut you want, I opted to (again) keep it simple and selected Alt+F. Now click on Apply and close the Control Center. B) Back with an empty desktop try Alt+F : Firefox launches and immediately opens up the australian google page.Log out and back in and repeat Alt+F : it still works.Now reboot the machine and repeat with Alt+F : you'll see this time it still works. :w00t: Took me a couple of hours to find this out,only combining this and that and at last looking through the help file of these shortcuts, I saw why it is impossible the way you did it and the way I above tried to replicate it. I hope you can follow the above little step-by-step to accomplish your task now, here on my machine now it works OK. ;)
Hallo Striker :D ,Thanks for all the time you spent on my behalf :( :D I've now got it working & 'remembering' when ' Alt + F' is used as the key combination :thumbsup: :hmm: :D :D But when I try the same procedure with that 'Search' key it's back to amnesia on reboot :'( The really annoying thing is that it did work on that key before the update :) I'll leave things as they are for a while - we've spent enough time on this pesky shortcut allready :D If only I could find which file to modify in the command line - it wouldn't forget :hmm: Thanks again stricker for all your help :D :D Grogerf

Well at least one of the two items works now, and that's what counts. :D
Hallo Striker :thumbsup: ,Thanks for your help in getting as far as we have - it's just annoying with that one special button.But yes it's almost there :hysterical: , we have a good workaround :thumbsup: ;) - I'll get to sort the rest out - -maybe later :D Grogerf