New Look At DuckDuckGo

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

https://duckduckgo.com/whatsnew

By the way, has anyone noticed that "In cooperation with Yandex" at the bottom of DDG's results page these days? Has anyone checked out Yandex?

http://company.yande...andex_today.xml

Interesting. Da, comrade?

...Russia’s most popular search engine...

From Yandex' TOS:

2.3. Data collected by or transmitted to Yandex, the Company or Partners, in the course of accessing, interaction and operation of the Site and provision of the Services may include, without limitation, the following Data: (i) Internet Protocol (IP) address and location; (ii) cookie information; (iii) browser identification information; (iv) information on your software and hardware; (v) date and time of accessing the Site and the Services; (vi) information of third parties websites referred the Site or the Services; (vii) information related to your activity in the course of the Services use, including, without limitation, search queries history, search results provided to you in response to your query, web pages you visited by reference from the search results; (viii) other information.

So, is DDG tracking us via Yandex or no? Inquiring minds would sure as H3LL like to know. :yes:

Some concerned posts from the DDG forums:

https://duck.co/forum/search?q=yandex

Seems to be that DDG is just using Yandex results. No privacy issues for users with that, I don't guess. I feel a little better now. :)

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

StartPage.com is a better choice, or their parent company's page mainly used on the other side of the pond: ixquick.com

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, but ixquick is in bed with G^^gle. I don't do G^^gle these days.

From the Wikipedia article:

Startpage.com

On July 7, 2009 Ixquick launched Startpage.com to offer its service at a URL that is both easier to remember and spell, and in contrast to ixquick.com, fetches results from the Google search engine.[19] This is done without saving the users' IP addresses or giving any personal user information to Google's servers.

I guess the bold/purple above makes it somewhat OK, then. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. See purple text above. I think I was editing when you were posting. :)

Guest LilBambi

I like that DuckDuckGo.com is "generating its search results from key crowdsourced sites such as Wikipedia." But they have partnerships with other search engines like Yandex, Yahoo!, Bing and WolframAlpha.[3]"

Other than wikipedia and WolframAlpha, DDG could also be considered to be in bed with Yahoo! Yandex and Bing.

They all have to get their search results from other sources. StartPage and ixquick get theirs from Google.

But they do not send back any of your personal search results to Google with any of your info. They also use a more advanced type of SSL/TLS and have a built in proxy system so you can view results completely through a proxy if you wish.

DDG's a very nice service, but so is StartPage/ixquick and I think they take it a bit further for privacy sake.

i use DDG every day and noticed no change. but then i never go to the home page , my browser is setup to search with DDG so i get a results page listing. Though i often find myself going to Bing from there as there is no date range capability.

Knew about the Yandex and i've used Yandex straight up a few times last year when i was looking for something Asian based. didn't strike me one way or another, gave me results i was able to use.

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't mind DDG being in bed with Bing or Yahoo; as long as it's not that EEEEVILLLL GIGGLE. ;)

Before I do it, does anyone know what happens at startpage.com if I click Add to my browser?

Your house will blow up. :w00t:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Before I do it, does anyone know what happens at startpage.com if I click Add to my browser?

I just add it as a favorite. So don't know.

V.T. Eric Layton

The dead will rise from their graves and walk the earth. smiley4_zpse612766f.gif smiley_emoticons_zombie01_zps20528af4.gif smiley_emoticons_zombie02_zpsd5576784.gif icon_e_wink_zpsb08ce828.gif

:hysterical:

----

Sorry, Elizabeth... just one of those moods. ;)

• Like 1

wow, must have something in my cache preventing the new look from showing up.

That is a heck of a difference, not crazy about the large ad that seems to slow the results listing but at least it is quite clearly marked.

Seems to have lost some features though. don't see how to get straight on over to Bing anymore.

The dead will rise from their graves and walk the earth. smiley4_zpse612766f.gif smiley_emoticons_zombie01_zps20528af4.gif smiley_emoticons_zombie02_zpsd5576784.gif icon_e_wink_zpsb08ce828.gif

:hysterical:

----

Sorry, Elizabeth... just one of those moods. ;)

Hmm, I think I'll just do what Fran does and bookmark it. I've got enough problems without the house blowing up--although that would kill the zombies as they climb through the windows. Edited by ebrke
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

wow, must have something in my cache preventing the new look from showing up.

That is a heck of a difference, not crazy about the large ad that seems to slow the results listing but at least it is quite clearly marked.

Seems to have lost some features though. don't see how to get straight on over to Bing anymore.

Change your settings to display it how you like it. Here's a screenie of the way mine is set up...

Pky2PrF.png

• 4 weeks later...

It will add Startpage to the selection of search engines available as a drop-down in the search box.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

bye DDG, it was nice till May. Tonight I was wondering why i keep annoying myself by using DDG as my default , so I have removed it.

hated the large images bar , if i wanted images i would have asked for images.

results are slow in coming , which would be tolerable except ... the results of the search are poor

no way to customize the search : by date, date restriction, or any type of advanced search.

giving startpage a look, as dogpile has gone to the dogs.

V.T. Eric Layton

I just went back to Google full-time and said the heck with it... track me, monitor me, steal my data, treat me like a member of the unwashed masses that I am. ;)

I just went back to Google full-time and said the heck with it... track me, monitor me, steal my data, treat me like a member of the unwashed masses that I am. ;)

Eric, say it isn't so!!! :'(

Eric, have you turned off history?

https://support.goog...nswer/465?hl=en

I did that years ago and since I do not store history in my browsers, when I close the browser, whatever I do not bookmark to look at later is gone.

I use the incognito when doing ggle searches because i have found when i do it with regular history on, ggle returns what it thinks i want instead of what i asked about. bing does not do this for me, so i usually use bing when my regular does not satisfy.

and i like the bing pictures and hotspots way better than ggle's :)

V.T. Eric Layton

It is so, I'm afraid. And I don't even have search history turned off.

I am assimilated. I'm even back on G+ again. Come join the fun! ;)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton