Them screens don't match!

onederer

Well, I lost Mangeia, and now back to SUSE.

To go back, the original older version of Mangeia, both screens tracked each other. They each exactly mirrored each other. I have the 17" laptop screen, and the 46" TV in my bedroom. I usually lay down, and use the HD TV for my computer monitor. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard to do my work.

And then, I lost Mangeia. I installed it again, and "dist-upgraded" it to the next newer version, and then set it up to my liking. That evening, while I was setting up the the two screens (TV and Laptop). I noticed that I couldn't get them to mirror themselves anymore. It was acting as if when two monitors are side-by-side, for an extended view.

However this doesn't work when the large screen is sitting up on top of a bureau, and the laptop below it. I'm too far away to read the small lettering on the laptop. Disaster struck again! The following morning, when I turned on the laptop. there was nothing! Lost the whole thing. It was not recoverable.

So now, I had a older version of SUSE. I installed it. It replaced Mangeia. That OS's screen tracked the same as the TV. However I was getting error messages that the repositories were too old, and I should upgrade to the next newest version of SUSE. I finally relented, and did download and installed the version 13 of SUSE.

Well, I'm now approaching the current problem. This newer version of SUSE, is doing exactly the same as as the newer version of Mangeia. And I don't think that this is a coincidence! Monkey-see-monkey-do. I think that this is terrible! When that happened with the laptop/TV, I had shut down the laptop's screen, and made sure that everything that I needed was on the TV screen. The only setback to this is that when the boot-up is completed, the laptop screen went dark, and I couldn't monitor it.

Now that you know what happened, finally, my question: How can I make these two screens mirror each other's actions? It's very dis-concerning when I'm working, and I get too close to the left or right edge of the screen, and the cursor falls off and disappears down below into the laptop's screen.

Why did they mess with this? Before, there were more options for two monitor settings. And now, they screwed it up. I don't have the horizontal space to place two identical monitors side-by-side. I just need to see the laptop's screen to make sure that everything is fine, and they are tracking together. Anyone got a fix for this?

Cheers!

securitybreach

What is your video card? Do you run nvidia, ati or intel? The reason I ask is because you should be able to configure them via nvidia-settings or amdcccle.

Hi,

This laptop uses NVIDIA. I didnt't even consider using a different video driver. brcause I figured that most modern OS's got this under control.

4 OS's in a couple of weeks, and both older version were running fine. There seems that now, a new trend has come upon us. And that is, the code writers have decided that our multi screens don't need exact mirroring anymore. Two latest different OS.s now don't provide that feature. I had Mageia, and now as a replacement, SUSE. One can only blank out one of the screens, or leave them on. One has to pick which screen will be the major one. But when both are left on the only choice is as if the screens are side-by-side, to make one big screen. Since mine is a huge TV on a tall bureau. and the 17" laptop sits way down below.

The OS's now provide enough virtual screens to store what we need. Different applications can be parked into different virtual boxes. So for my situation, an additional screen is useless. I moved everything that was on the computer's screen to the TV's.

The current setup is only good if one had huge programs or applications open. The ones that would be dormant, could be parked into the laptop's screen. My problem is when I'm doing something, and I went too far to the left or right, and the curser disappears. I have to go fish for it on the laptop's, screen.

Side-by-side setups are nice of one had ample room to place two monitors next to each other. Such is not my case.

So, the NVIDIA drivers are still available? Do I have to get it from the Internet, or is it in the repositories? Are they still working with the same traditional capabilities?

Cheers!

securitybreach

What distro are you using? The nvidia drivers have the mirroring option in nvidia-settings. Very easy fix.

Let us know if you need any help or if you solve the issue.

B)

I'm using SUSE for now, While trying to fix the (2) screen problem, smething else took a nose-dive. The Konsole, stopped doing a full up scroll with the mouse wheel. The around 50% center of the screen, stays static, while the top and bottom portions are scrolling. It looks like it's doing a top-to-bottom scroll, and up towards the fixed center lines..

I want to restore it that when I use the mouse wheel, all the lines, together, will scroll up together. This is the way it was doing it before.

Any ideas about that?

As far as my video card, it is a Radeon (I suppose that it now belongs to Nvidia?) Anyway, SUSE doesn't seem to have the Nvidia drivers in their repository. I made a mistake when I mentioned an AMD card. The AMD card runs the networking. It's been a long time since I've messed with this stuff.

And yes, I will need some help. I'm no longer up to snuff on this stuff. I've forgotten a lot of it, from dis-use. And thanks for your offer, I appreciate it.

Cheers!

securitybreach

Radeon is ATI so you need to install the catalyst driver or simply use arandr to organize your screens.

Greetings!

I tried arandr. All I saw were the graphics portraying my two screens. I could move them around, which is fine, but there was no text on the GUI, or any explaination. I don't know how to use it. I then tried xrarandr, This time, I just got a lot of text, and not much information on it's usage that I really understand.

I couldn't remember the name of the driver for Radeon, 'till you wrote it down. I was not in the description of the contents of my computer. Before writing this, I checked if SUSE had Catalyst in their repository. It wasn't there. Looks like I'll have to fish on the Internet to find that driver. Does Catalyst have drivers for a whole lot of boards, or a lot of searching for the one that I need?

As far as the terminal console, should I start a new post for that? I'd like to get it back to the original setup, where the up-down scrolling was intact when rolling the mouse wheel, and just great! This static middle-screen lines of text, and top to bottom roll-around text, is not acceptable, nor ledgible.

I'll be waiting for your answer for the Catalyst driver. I hope that there's more flexibility with that driver than what is currently available with the SUSE setup. I went on the internet searching for a driver based on the computer's info, and part numbers, and became dumb-founded. Too many to pick from! No telling whether they were the right ones. But I must say, Catalyst never came up in my search.

Cheers!

I hope that I didn't make a mistake. But I went to: http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fglx-legacy. Supposedly there, was the legacy driver for the laptop's board. I found the Suse site too confusing in choices. Anyway, I hope that the legacy driver has what I'm looking for, since it seems that the open-source drivers, now believe (based on my experience with two OS's), that the only setup is with dual screens, as side-by-side, as an extended screen. I can't shut off the laptop's screen, since I would not be able to monitor the computer's health. I expect that the commercial version driver also still has dual monitor mirroring (I hope!) capability.

Here's what I got from my computer's spec. data-base: AMD/ATI, RS880M Radeon, HD4225/4250. Driver: Gallum 0.4 AMDRS880 3.0 MESA 9.2.3 radeon Does that have any meaning to you? There are so many references and numbers for just the same thing! I picked the latest driver which fits with the latest version of SUSE (13.1), and for 64 bit system. Can your cross-refrence what I did with the information that I just gave you? I expect that you have a better handle on this matter than I do. I appreciate your assistance.

BTW, the terminal problem didn't go away. But I did make it go away, by selecting the Kterminal instead, and that one works like a champ. I just hope that nothing else breaks, and I can go again to being a user, instead of a mechanic.

Cheers!

• Like 1

securitybreach

I found the Suse site too confusing in choices.

All you had to do was click the button to install:

0Rym1mw.png

• Like 1

I did that at 3:00 AM. Still need to reboot to see if there is any difference. I clicked on the 64-bit button, and used Yast2 to install it.

I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't bork the setup.

Cheers!

• Like 1