NetBEUI Mania

Scot

NetBEUI mania in recent issues of the newsletter. If you've been following this, the March 18th issue has even more. As I post this, that issue hasn't come out yet, but when it does, it'll be at this first URL (a little advance info).Microsoft Speaks About NetBEUI (link won't work until late on 3/18):http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/42.htm#netknowhowIf you want to use NetBEUI on your network, don't miss this one:How to Install Win2K's NetBEUI in XP:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/38.htm#tipadaweekOther details...All About NetBEUI:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/41.htm#netknowhow-- Scot

I am interested in the easiest hookup for a LAN in my home. I have three computers in the same room, one with XP, one with Me, and one with Win98SE [a laptop]. I have DSL and think I would prefer to direct wire them since we are in the same room. Any help on configuration would be appreciated.

Hi, LSquare:

I am interested in the easiest hookup for a LAN in my home. I have three computers in the same room, one with XP, one with Me, and one with Win98SE [a laptop]. I have DSL and think I would prefer to direct wire them since we are in the same room.
Definitely direct wire, that is, use twisted-pair ethernet cabling with RJ-45 connectors (like giant versions of "modular" telephone connectors) on the ends.Here are the things you need:* 3 Network interface cards (NICs). I don't have a recommendation at the moment because I'm in the midst of a search for a new cheap, reliable NIC. I used to use Netgear FA-310tx NICs, but they've been discontinued. I'm looking at newer Netgear cards now, but there were problems with the FA-311s.* A 4-port broadband router, such as the Linksys BEFSR41. I like the Linksys products a lot, but there are others that are equally good. Both SMC and Netgear make good ones. I actually recommend the BEFSX41, the Linksys Firewall Router. It's not as good as a software firewall, but since you have to buy it new anyway, might as well get some extra protection and convenience.* 3 standard ethernet cables, also called "straight through."* You may also need a single cross-over Ethernet cable, or you may have gotten that with your DSL modem.With that hardware, you are ready to set up a network that will let you both access the Internet from all three computers but also share files with them.Configuring the network is a whole other issue. I believe I have actually covered this in the newsletter. I'll see if I can find where I did that, or you can search the back issues.-- Scot Edited by scot

Newbie,It really should be easy to do and probably is for some. The fact you have 3 different OS's is going to make it more complex. I wasn't able to get my network up and running until all 3 PC's were running XP Home and 1 was running 98se. I think I started reading a book called Windows XP Home Networking by Paul Thrurrott.You're gonna find all kinds of information once you start looking - some good and some not, but mostly confusing. Scot has help a lot.That's it for now....Good Luck!Rod

I am interested in the easiest hookup for a LAN in my home.  I have three computers in the same room, one with XP, one with Me, and one with Win98SE [a laptop].  I have DSL and think I would prefer to direct wire them since we are in the same room.  Any help on configuration would be appreciated.
You can find here a collection of Links that my help you in your endeavor.Basic Networking....

Another resource:If you have a junker PC lying around, resurrect it with IPCop, and you get a complete firewall/router for your home network. It'll run on a 486 or better (maybe even a 386), and it /just works/.My uptime is 186 days, and my ADSL connection has been live and uninterrupted for 43!rgdsAlan

I recently switched several of my computers to Win2000 because of problems recovering my lan connection from standby or hibernation mode under Win9x.Oddly I have one little computer (Fujitsu B142) running a wireless PC card that goes easily into standby and recovers the lan connection every time. It's the only one of my Win98 machines that'll do this.

I forget, Quark, you're using NetBEUI or NetBIOS? NetBEUI, right? You might find if you switched to IPX/SPX with NetBIOS enabled that your hibernation problems would go away. If you ever try that, i'd be interested to know.-- Scot