I'm trying to dual boot with XP

trigggl

I was trying to add more partition room on my hard disk while installing XP. I am currently typing this as root since my /home partition will no longer mount. The sad thing is, XP is refusing to see my music partition anyways. It looks like XP has currupted my /home partition somehow. It tried to turn it into a FAT32 partition.I have a successful dual boot now, sort of, so does anyone have any experience with this to get my /home partition back? I'm not sure if my lilo.conf is right anymore either. All of my linux lines in lilo have the text

resume=/dev/hda7

hda7 is the swap partition. Hda8 is the /home partition.lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapvga=791default="linux"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=300message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz.....label="linux".....root=/dev/hda6.....initrd=/boot/initrd.img.....append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7 splash=silent".....vga=788.....read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz.....label="linux-nonfb".....root=/dev/hda6.....initrd=/boot/initrd.img.....append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7".....read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz.....label="failsafe".....root=/dev/hda6.....initrd=/boot/initrd.img.....append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda7".....read-onlyother=/dev/hda1.....label="XP_or_98SE".....table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0.....label="floppy".....unsafe

fstab

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0/dev/hda8 /home ext3 user,exec,sync,defaults 1 2none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,sync,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0none /mnt/floppy2 supermount dev=/dev/fd1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,sync,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0/dev/hda5 /mnt/music vfat umask=0 0 0/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat codepage=850,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

HELPPS Bruno, this is not for you on your Birthday unless you absolutely want to.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• trigggl

• Owyn

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Greg:Could you use fdisk to list your partitions, eg:

[root@Mdk92 owyn]# fdisk /dev/hda The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4983.There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,and could in certain setups cause problems with:1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK) Command (m for help): p Disk /dev/hda: 40.9 GB, 40992473088 bytes255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4983 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System/dev/hda1   *         1       130   1044193+  82  Linux swap/dev/hda3           131      4983  38981722+   5  Extended/dev/hda5           131       652   4192933+  83  Linux/dev/hda6          1252      3339  16771828+  83  Linux/dev/hda7          3340      4983  13205398+  83  Linux/dev/hda8           653      1251   4811436   83  Linux Partition table entries are not in disk order Command (m for help): q [root@Mdk92 owyn]#

I used the XP install disk to break my windows partition in half.It's kind of a blur after that. I altenated between the XP install and using the Mandrake Install disk as a rescue disk. I transferred all of my music files from one partition to the new one with the intent of deleting the one and resizing the new one. I cancelled after it told me I would lose all data. I still have about 4Gig of unformatted space.

[root@localhost root]# fdisk /dev/hdaThe number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2491.There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,and could in certain setups cause problems with:1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)Command (m for help): pDisk /dev/hda: 20.4 GB, 20490559488 bytes255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2491 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System/dev/hda1   *         1       637   5116671    7  HPFS/NTFS/dev/hda2           638      2491  14892255    5  Extended/dev/hda5           638      1343   5670913+  ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)/dev/hda6          1859      2204   2779213+  83  Linux/dev/hda7          2205      2267    506016   82  Linux swap/dev/hda8          2268      2491   1799248+  83  LinuxCommand (m for help):

That looks kind of ugly doesn't it? >_<

I tried using a backup of the superblock, but either I'm not going far enough back or that's not the problem.There error I get at startup says there are too many partitions or a bad superblock.

Wow. I guess the lesson to learn here is to do all your partitioning in Drake. One of those hard lessons in life. How much did you back up before you began? Are you in danger of losing absolutely everything in your home? If there is nothing critical in home then I would put CD1 in and let it do a repair and create a new home partition. If you already know the number you had for home before you began then you can try to use the same partition over again without reformatting. Then if that does not work, simply reformat the partition. I have learned to backup those files before I do anything major. I have a partition that is FAT32 which is simply a backup of home and any /tmp files I wnat to keep from one install to another Good luck. You can recover but it might not be how you would want to recover.

The problem with formatting in Drake is that it won't reduce my windows partition less than 10Gig. I don't need 10Gig for windows. I wanted to double my space for music, and since I managed to squeeze XP on the second hard drive which only has 1.6Gig, I really didn't plan on needing more than 5Gig for windows.How do I recover my /home with the CD? Do I select upgrade or is there something else I'm not seeing? I had all of my important stuff in windows still, and all of that is backed up due to the new OS going in there. I'm looking forward to having all of those rewritables back for use. All of my wife's music is saved, but all of mine is on the partition I created before deleting the previous.

By doing repair and not reformatting, it should simply add all those files that are usually hidden and reside in home that are needed for the proper functioning of your computer. It is where your user files reside and will create a directory for you if it can't find it and put those files for your profile there. Once you get that functioning I would then start moving those files out of the windows partition to a new one and then when all is said and done do what you want with size in Drake. Of course it does not hurt to keep things in a windows drive, other than virus vulnerability. I keep the first partition on each hard drive as a windows partition and I use that to store ISO files between new installs as well as I copy a complete copy of /home there before each new install as my preventative measures. One is in Lilo as a bootable windows partition but I know there is not an operating system there now. I can't remember if they put one there when they did the partial build of my computer but I sure didn't. That is my insurance policy in case I need Windows for something in the future. >_< Does any of this make sense? There are probably better ways that Bruno and Owyn can come up with but this is what I know works for me.

Hi Greg I do not see anything wrong in your Lilo . . the "resume=/dev/hda7" does not have to be there and is usually only used by RedHat but if it is there it should indeed point to the swap ( and it does ) Your /etc/fstab however does look funny . . . two lines: /dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1 /dev/hda8 /home ext3 user,exec,sync,defaults 1 2 the second one should be: /dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2 Just try to change that and reboot . . don´t press Y when it asks you to let it recover the journal and tell me what happens.Also give me the outcome of$ df -hI do not see much wrong in your partition table . . . . :ph34r: BrunoPS: I decide what I do on my birthday if you don´t mind . . >_< >_<

PS: I decide what I do on my birthday if you don´t mind . . 
No problem, I knew you would respond anyways. I just didn't want you to feel obligated.For Owyn, hdb is currently empty space that I just made into ext3. I think I'll start using it for downloads or files downloaded from work.Bruno, I'll get to work on that. Some of that is from me trying to fix a problem and making it worse.Be back after a reboot.

I just hope your journal is still okay . . and that looking for an answer you did not corrupt it . . . . . . . we´ll see . . >_<>_< Bruno

Greg: This is what I pieced together from your info.hda1: Currently NTFS, Was VFAT, W98/WXP? boot. mount=/mnt/windows. fstab still says vfat.hda5: VFAT. Visible from Mandrake but not WXP. mount=/mnt/music. Unusual partition type, EF=EFI (FAT 12/16/32) instead of OB=Win95 Fat32.hda6: Mandrake boot. mount=/. Working.hda7: Linux swap. Working.hda8: Linux Ext3. mount=/home. Not working. Not accessable.Is this correct?

hda5: VFAT. Visible from Mandrake but not WXP. mount=/mnt/music. Unusual partition type, EF=EFI (FAT 12/16/32) instead of OB=Win95 Fat32.
Yep Owyn, I was wondering about that one ! . . but it should not keep Mandrake from booting . . . We will have to ask him what exactly he did to what partition, because that still is not clear to me . . >_< Bruno

[root@localhost root]# df -hFilesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6_____________2.7G  2.2G  302M  89% //dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1_____________1.5G   33M  1.4G   3% /download/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part9_____________4.0G   16K  4.0G   1% /mnt/backup/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5_____________5.4G  4.0G  1.5G  73% /mnt/music[root@localhost root]#

Owyn, that is correct.When Kde tries to start as a user, it gives the message:

No write access to $home "/"

Well, those aren't the exact words, but I do remember the "$home" and "'/'".

I do need to get Mandrake to recognize the NTFS partition. How do I do that?I can still view the music partition. I did just partition the last bit of space to make it a backup partition.

[root@localhost root]# df -hFilesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6_____________2.7G  2.2G  302M  89% //dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1_____________1.5G   33M  1.4G   3% /download/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part9_____________4.0G   16K  4.0G   1% /mnt/backup/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5_____________5.4G  4.0G  1.5G  73% /mnt/music[root@localhost root]#

Greg . . . I don´t see your /dev/hda8 there . . but do see /dev/hda9 . . and that one is not in fstab !What data is there in /home ?:( Bruno

Bruno, I just added hda9 as a backup partition.hda8 doesn't seem to want to mount.It may have lost all data. I should probably just have it rebuilt. I just don't know how to best do that.

Greg,Let´s try this: go to the MCC and click on hda8 . . unmount it and then mount it ( if it asks: on / ) . . . . then unmount the /music and /backup and leave it that way . . . then when you quit it will ask you if you want to write the new table to fstab . . say yes and reboot . . . remember NO Y during boot if it asks you to . . . :( Bruno

Greg:1) Your secondary master (target1/lun0) shows only a 1.5GB part1 (hdc1) mounted as /download. Do you have addiitional free space on the second drive.2) You said you have just created hda9 (/backup) but it allready contains 4GB of data. What did you copy to it?The reason I am asking is that I am looking at options to make your music partition visible to WXP.

hda8 refuses to mount.Restart anyways?
If it refuses to mount we will first have to know why . . . . . was it mounted in the first place ? ( I guess not )Two options:# mount /de/hda8 /OR:Flip in disk 1 reboot and do a repair job . . I think you press F1 at the fist screen you get and there you will see what to type at the prompt for a repair . . . I think it´s simply "repair" . . . . :( Bruno

Everything I just created is empty.I just formatted them to see if it would eliminate confusion in the system.The third column appears to be for space available.

The repairjob will do the fstab and let it recognize XP . . no problem, just don´t let it mount the /backup and /music yet . . . they don´t look very okay to me . . . and it´s better not to automount them anyway.:( Bruno