computer reboots randomly

longgone

Hello...,,,Another computer problem on a different machine. This is one I put together for resale but now it is giving me fits. I am only on dial up so I have no real way of making a web connection using the ethernet connection (it is an onboard connection). The mainboard is an ASROCK K7S8X, when I assembled it and checked it out it was fine, connectied to the web via the modem and got all the updates for the OS (about 8 hours worth) and not a problem. I used it for 3-4 days on the web and just game playing, no problems. The person that wants to buy it uses broadband (not sure if it DSL or cable) and that is where the problem comes in. It for some reason will not run for any great length of time without rebooting for no apparent reason. I have also noticed that the connection that is set up for the broadband does not show up when you click start>connections .. all it lists is "show all connections" (even though there is only one). I tried to set it up 3 different ways but it makes no difference, same results every time. My question is, could this be a BIOS problem (incorrect fsb settings), or maybe a loose ram stick. Those are the only two things I can think of myself. I am open to all suggestions here.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• nlinecomputers

• Ed_P

• ross549

Is this on WinXP? If so, do you get a "blue screen flash" with a bunch of white text just before it reboots? I had those once, and the cause was mainly bad RAM.

epp_bNot really, it is in Win XP but the last time it did it I was getting ready to run Adaware and had just clicked on the start button when it went into reboot. It never did this to me when I was using it on dial-up and I ran it for hours ... it has only happened while using it on broadband. I just brought it back and have not hooked it up to dial up yet but I was trying in on broadband and in the approx. 30-45 mins I was running it, it rebooted 4 different times. Twice it gave me that "experienced a serious error" message and wanted to send a notification to Microsoft.

pierrejamme

If you suspect RAM, and it is highly probably, remove all but one stick and check it out. Check each chip to see if you can locate a bad one. If you only have two then it will be a short test. Does your mobo require paired ram, that will make it difficult.My home computer has four slots and it won't boot when I put my twwo chips in slot 0 and 1 as the manual says so they are in 0 and 2, Oh well.Are you sure you haven't picked up a virus? Or a load of Spyware?If XP run msconfig and uncheck startup, then click on Services tab and select hide MS services and unselect everything else, does it still happen?Just a few thoughts late Friday, :">

pierrejamme.....I could do that, I am somewhat suspect of the ram but not real set in stone on that .... I have not yet set it up to see if it will do it in dial up mode. That is what has me totally confused ..... it did not do it before when I was using it on the dial up modem .. but it does do it when used with broadband ... I will know more after I bench test it for awhile ... but as you say ram makes for a very good suspect.One other thing that comes to mind too, at one point I had Slack 9.1 on that machine and it was fine .... is there any such thing as an OS biased machine ??? :"> :thumbsup:

nlinecomputers/GolfProRM .....First the event logs, ?????? how/what/where ... have never used them so I need a guiding hand there .... As far as a virus goes ... I have no idea at all .... I have not set it up yet at my place to see .. but I did have it set up at the guys place that was selling it for me. He has cable internet but I did not (really was not looking either) for anything like that. Was more interested in trying to find out what the machine was doing wrong. After I get it set up I will check out the two links you posted. I am getting to the point of not building anymore computers except for my own use (course this is the only one that has given me fits) .... oh well ,,, more to come later on

nlinecomputers

This link has alot of info on the event logs:http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4300/rh4317.htmBasicly in Windows XP goto Start/ Control Panel/ Adminstrative Tools/ Event Viewer. You have three event logs System, Security, and Application. Most lilkely the events are in the system logs but they could be in application. Look for Yellow or Red icons as they denote problems.

I am currently on this machine that does the random/at will reboots, checked the event logs like was suggested and there is enough red there (some yellow too) to qualify it for a combat zone ....most are "system errors" dealing with either no source of accurate time, or during dns lookup of manually configured peer "time windows.com.0x1, a trememdous amount are for catagory 102 evebt 1003 or event 10005. A lot are about cannot start this service in safe mode, a lot of yellows about the cdrom and paging of it .... I am not sure if this is user related or machine related. I have noticed that on occasion during the boot up that sometimes the cdrom which is the secondary master gets "not detected" but it is still usable ??? ... any suggestions ,, anyone ,, have not yet done the memtest on my way now bbl

Cluttermagnet
This link has alot of info on the event logs:http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4300/rh4317.htmBasicly in Windows XP goto Start/ Control Panel/ Adminstrative Tools/ Event Viewer.  You have three event logs System, Security, and Application.  Most lilkely the events are in the system logs but they could be in application.  Look for Yellow or Red icons as they denote problems.
The last time I saw this symptom, it was on an old Windows machine, about 500MHz, running XP Home on an AMD processor. The owner had picked up a virus probably due to unpatched vulnerabilities in the IE browser. When first I saw any 'symptoms', there was a new desktop icon. The problem proved to be one of those 'web downloader' hacks, and I was not experienced enough to do battle with the bugs. The system went downhill rapidly, with the HD being written off as hopelessly compromised and a total wipe and reinstallation of the OS being the only practical option. Only one time have I ever seen such a compromised system, never had this sort of thing happen to any of my own machines. The giveaway, IMO, is the reboot immediately following your invoking any spyware/ security software. My bet is you have trojans on board, and who knows what else- including keystroke monitors, etc. If you can get a late copy of Hijack This and present the logs on this forum, some of the guys are good at spotting suspicious entries. Personally, if I ever concluded that I had a machine compromised in this manner, I would wipe the HD and make a fresh start.

nlinecomputers

Can you post one of those "Can't start service entries?" When you click on one of those events in the event log a window pops up that has a copy icon(looks like two sheets of paper) under two arrow icons. If you click on that copy icon the error gets copied into the clipboard. So you can post it here. I like to see service failures and the cdrom failure. I'm guessing you got hardware problems and not a virus/malware problem but I so often see this crap on systems that a good cleaning is allways recomminded.To do a good clean up do the steps outlined here:http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htmIf you are still concerned that spyware is on the system please post your hijackthis log in this thread. And please use the CODE function of this forum to do so.

nlinecomputers......ummm .... I would surely send you a copy of each one of them (not individually) as far as the event number and catagory type went if I could find this clipboard you are refering to. I have never done what you are talking about so HELP .. also I have never used that "code" option, but logically it would be click on "code" and it would end up in one of those boxes ... yes ,, no ????

nlinecomputers

Anything you cut and paste is put into the "clipboard." Same clipboard as used in Word or Excel or even a webbrowser.When you hightlight text or a file in explorer and hit "copy" or "cut" to move it from one place to another you have put it in the clipboard. In Event viewer if you hit the copy icon. That text is now in the clipboard. You can immediately open notepad, wordpad, Word, or a text box in a browser(like this one) and hit PASTE and presto your clipboard is posted.CODE is used just like QUOTE is.Example:

Event Type:	ErrorEvent Source:	DCOMEvent Category:	NoneEvent ID:	10005Date:  7/10/2004Time:  5:43:52 AMUser:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMComputer:	NBOXDescription:DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service BITS with arguments "" in order to run the server:{4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Edited by nlinecomputers

Does this pc run an antivirus longgone? Was the antivirus installed prior to your selling the pc? And is it reasonable current? I agree with Cluttermagnet, this sounds more like a virus than a hardware problem.

EdP..no anti virus is on this machine at all ... when I build them I don't do any add ons to the basic OS other than the updates from MS and install the software for the CDRW, video card, modem, NIC, or any other such items. I leave the virus choice up to the buyer, what with all the choices there are available. I have on my main machine (which is still broke down) Panda and on the secondary I have AVG with V-catch on both ....

Event Type:	ErrorEvent Source:	DCOMEvent Category:	NoneEvent ID:	10005Date:  7/5/2004Time:  3:07:45 PMUser:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMComputer:	BUDDA-CCZ5Z3UZSDescription:DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}For more information, see Help and Support Center at [URL=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp[/URL].

nlinecomputers .... this is one of the many errors that are listed I can list more but it will take time to do it

nlinecomputers
"This service cannot be started in Safe Mode "
This is a normal error if you are trying to start up in safe mode. Note the time stamps and try to post an error from when you tried to do normal boot up. Also I'd love to see that error about the CD-ROMs.

brooster1427

You may want to run one of the free virus scans available. Panda, TrendMicro, McAffee etc..There was a virus around that would reboot your machine I think it was one of the Blaster variants but I am not positive. HTH Bruce ;)

Event Type:	ErrorEvent Source:	PlugPlayManagerEvent Category:	NoneEvent ID:	12Date:		7/4/2004Time:		3:19:33 PMUser:		N/AComputer:	BUDDA-CCZ5Z3UZSDescription:The device 'CDWRITER IDE5224' (IDE\CdRomCDWRITER_IDE5224________________________0012____\5&38663351&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:0000: 00 00 00 00               ....    that is one of the errors having to do with the  CDRW unit will get the other one  in a  minute ...

Event Type: ErrorEvent Source: CdromEvent Category: NoneEvent ID: 7Date: 7/1/2004Time: 11:34:20 AMUser: N/AComputer: BUDDA-CCZ5Z3UZSDescription:The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:0000: 0e 02 68 00 01 00 b8 00 ..h...¸.0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 04 c0 .......À0010: 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........0018: 00 00 00 00 3e 40 02 00 ....>@..0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........0028: c9 43 00 00 00 00 00 00 ÉC......0030: ff ff ff ff 02 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....0038: 40 00 00 c4 02 00 00 00 @..Ä....0040: 00 00 0c 12 48 00 00 00 ....H...0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........0050: 60 9e 9c 01 e8 bc 75 82 `.è¼u0058: 00 00 00 00 08 30 56 82 .....0V0060: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........0068: be 04 00 02 0e 16 00 00 ¾.......0070: 10 f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 .ð......0078: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0a p.......0080: 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 ........0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........that is the second one and one more to come

Event Type: WarningEvent Source: CdromEvent Category: NoneEvent ID: 51Date: 6/29/2004Time: 4:19:13 PMUser: N/AComputer: BUDDA-CCZ5Z3UZSDescription:An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b8 00 ..h...¸.0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..0010: 2d 01 00 00 15 00 00 c0 -......À0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........0028: 6c 17 01 00 00 00 00 00 l.......0030: ff ff ff ff 01 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....0038: 40 00 00 c4 02 00 00 00 @..Ä....0040: 00 20 0a 12 48 02 00 40 . ..H..@0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........0050: 00 20 c0 65 20 c5 6d 82 . Àe Åm0058: 00 00 00 00 98 35 79 82 ....5y0060: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........0068: 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (.......0070: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........0078: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a p.......0080: 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 ....!...0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........and that is the final and last one having to do with the CDRW .. unit

nlinecomputers ....the post about the "safe mode" was from when the "purchaser" had the machine. The only thing that has occured since I have been on it today was "one" reboot about 10 mins after I had powered it up. It was a system error catagory 102 event 1003 (according to the log) and since then I have not had a problem. I have shut it off once to change out the ram stick, so I would say the first one is good and this second one appears to be good also.

nlinecomputers

The CD errors are happening either because you are using a poor copy of a CD-R, a dirty CD that has either finger prints or scratches or you have a bad CD-Rom drive. Assuming you have good media, It is also possible that you have a bad motherboard or bad cable. I'd try to reseat your cables, then replace your IDE cables, then replace the CD-ROM drive.

no anti virus is on this machine at all ...
Holy cow!! ;) longgone, if this pc doesn't have a Blaster variant I'll eat my shirt. No AV and on broadband!!! B) See if you can run TrendMicro's Housecall on it.Based on your logs it may well have some hardware problems but the random rebooting, imho, is virus caused.

EdP ..........Welllllllllllllllll...... shucks ... the house call came away clean, no virus contamination on this machine .....

Cluttermagnet
Welllllllllllllllll......  shucks ...  the house call came away  clean, no virus contamination on this machine .....
Hmmm-Well, maybe not- but then again...That reboot right as you invoked AdAware is mighty suspicious to me. Is that particular behavior repeatable ? I'm not at all sure I would be willing to let one online virus check be the final word on this. Yep, still mighty suspicious...I'd still recommend a session running Hijack This, especially if opening security software consistently produces a reboot. Show the log to your friends on this forum for analysis. Several of the guys are real good at spotting the bad stuff. I do agree you have some CD drive issues, and may have had some ROM issues, but I don't yet agree you can give that machine a clean bill of health security wise. I saw a machine hacked by a downloader and the bad stuff living on that hard drive was smart enough to hide itself, move around, change its filenames, etc. And the reboot upon starting security software changed behavior over time, always for the worse. On the box I saw this on, it was real obvious there were new problems of a very serious nature, yet at first the trojans hiding on that drive did nothing to give themselves away. In fact, the only way I first became aware of trouble was I spotted a new desktop icon I had not seen on this friend's machine a few days earlier.

Cluttermagnet ....Before I ran the housecall program ,, I d/l'd and installed AVG on the machine, got its updates then ran the program and it was clean also .... I think the problem with the problem with the CDRW might be real hard to find ... on occassion it is not detected on the boot up then after a restart it is detected....not sure if that could be a cable problem or not (loose in the socket type) ......... I am making a guess that all three ram sticks must be good or at least two for sure each of them having been in for 3 hours each and no noticeable problems. I did find out , however that it did not like a ram stick out of my other machine that is down right now. It was PC2700/DDR333 and I tried it and got an error that root32 etc etc was missing and needed to be installed .... so I let that one go for now ...As far as getting anything to be repeatable on this machine .. I don't think I could get that to happen .. I did delete the Adaware install that got messed up and did a fresh one and it was good to go ..