32 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

Sorry, I was replying to the original poster who uses Power Desk 6, didn't notice the date of the post! :thumbsup:

#27 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:08 PM

If it works in DOS then something loading with windows is affecting the floppy drive.1. Do ctrl+alt+del and write down all the running processes.2. You are going to kill off several at a time (DO NOT kill Explorer and systray). I'd start at the top of the list and end the first three items. Close the window and see if you can use the floppy drive. If so, the culprit is one of the three items you've killed off. If the floppy drive doesn't work, kill the next three and do the same thing. Close the window and see if you can use the floppy drive. Keep repeating until, hopefully at some point in time, the floppy drive works.3. Reboot but this time focus on the group of three programs that allowed the floppy to work. Kill one of the three and test the drive. If it works, you've find the program. If it doesn't work, try the next one.When you eventually discover what is preventing the floppy from working - post the name of the process so we can figure out what program it is associated with and then maybe fix that program.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

He or she probably has the problem fixed by now or may even have a new PC by now.

#29 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:44 AM

webster, with the same problem just posted on June 9th. That's who I was replying to.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:09 AM

I would have thought the information could be useful to anyone with a similar problem. :)It's one of those frustrating things to happen and to keep happening once hardware failure has been ruled out.

#31 OFFLINE   webster72n

webster72n

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

View PostTemmu, on Jun 9 2006, 02:08 PM, said:

another post back from the dead!  :thumbsup:  :hysterical: also, try stopping and restarting the "removable storage" service.(r click my computer, manage, services.  r click "removable storage", stop; r click again, start.  Ensure it's set to automatic: r click "removable storage" properties, choose automatic.)
Doesn't sound like WinME to me, more like WinXP.    :hysterical: webster72n.

Edited by webster72n, 18 June 2006 - 06:04 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:11 AM

the thread died in aug 05, and was reopened to in jun 06... original post really didn't specify os...several posts mention xp, one post says get a me disk from, and another post says had a similar problem in me... soooo... i mentioned the "removable storage" service for the assumed xp os.
Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   webster72n

webster72n

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

View Postwebster72n, on Jun 10 2006, 08:55 PM, said:

Don't have no Power Desk, only "PowerQuest Partiton Magic 8".At one point I used the built-in feature for my 80GB WD hard drive, to partition an "unallocated" portionof the drive, when it offered me the option to do so. After that partition magic had an error in its information data, as I stated in an earlier reply. Don't see where deleting or uninstalling PM8 would help.webster72n.
So far "no joy" with this excursion. Seems noone has a remedy for this calamity.My hope would be, that formatting and reinstallation of WinME might bring back the drives ability to read again. If not, it will be a total "washout".Thanks for all of your contributions.webster72n.  :hysterical:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users