Search Box missing in Folders - Windows 7 Ultimate

macdunn

After being a beta tester during the development of Windows 7, I bought a Dell Zino 410 with factory-installed [en-us] Windows 7 Ultimate (in 2010 while in California). I was satisfied enough with Win7, though I still use XP/SP 3 on several machines, and knew that it would be accepted by many users - corporate and individual.

Now, four years later, I have purchased an Intel NUC (i5, 16GB RAM, etc.) and bought and installed a new copy of Win7 (a German copy here in Germany). I have been worried that I would not be able to 'duplicate' the working environment I have gotten used to on my Zino box (I use both the Zino and the NUC as my programming machines, not as entertainment devices, why not).

Well, one of the things which I had on my Zino installation which I cannot seem to get on my new Win7 installation is the Search Box to the right of the Location field in the sub-directory (Folder) windows. When I check Windows Help, it just says that it is there. However, I just cannot find any customisation possibility in Folder Options or through the Control Panel to display the Search Box.

Sadly, I have gotten used to using the Search Box with Win7 to find specific files, even if a Search Box in the sub-directory windows was never a feature on my preferred Win XP systems.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

Edited by macdunn

Hi Bambi,

You are always there, and with the answer.

Yes, 'Windows 7 Explorer to display search box' is the topic and the link which you provided sent me in the right direction.

For anyone else who might have this same issue, open the Control Panel and click on Programs and Features. Then, click on the 'Turn Windows features on or off' link in the left pane. Scroll down to Windows Search and check it. Restart and the Search Box will be displayed to the right of the Location bar in the Folders.

Bambi, I do not know if I should open a new topic or not, but is it possible to copy a file or files from one Windows 7 machine to another which will set the second installation up the same way the first is set up? Keep in mind that the original Windows 7 copies are different languages - en-US and de-DE. Possibly a file in Documents and Settings? That is how I configure programs, such as Office or Photoshop between Windows 7 computers.

TIA!

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Have you tried the Easy Transfer Wizard?

http://windows.micro...r#1TC=windows-7

http://windows.micro...q#1TC=windows-7

Not sure if it would work between languages though...and can it be done between Windows 7 and Windows 7...that's another question:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/transfer-files-settings-from-another-computer#1TC=windows-7

Another thought is a pay to play model:

http://www.laplink.c...eature-overview

The pay to play may be a better choice in your case but I would call them to be sure.

Also, no matter what type you use, be sure to have plenty of air flow ... I know Easy Transfer Wizard really puts a lot of stress on a system and can cause it to overheat if you don't have enough air flow.

Edited by LilBambi

Hi Bambi,

No, I have not tried Easy Transfer Wizard. I have tried one or two other things and have gotten error messages that say I am using different language versions of Win7. I will try ETW and will post my results. Happily, I have mirror HDDs for both systems. So, I do not have to worry about crashing the production drives.

Ha, Ha! Laplink! I still have my yellow parallel port laplink cables from my days working with DOS 3 systems.

Thanks for pointing me in an appropriate direction!

Guest LilBambi

You are very welcome! I added more to that posting .... possibly while you were writing your reply.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about Laplink! Brought back some memories.

Let us know how it goes.