Tiling WMs introduction -- LinuxDays FS16

securitybreach

securitybreach

I have been tiling for about 8 years now and I still got something from it too.

Do not think pay attention to the title Linux for Experts. It's not that hard but the tree stuff is a little confusing but it makes sense when you start using it.

TheAlternative.ch - LinuxDays FS16 - Linux for Experts course

Published on Jun 14, 2016

In this course, Aline Abler gives an introduction to Tiling Window Managers. Slides are available here: http://thealternativ...index.php?vi...

Tiling Window Managers allow you to control your graphical interface using your keyboard in a more intuitive way. They are highly configurable, and there are many different implementations out there. We will show you a selection of them, to help you find the Window Manager that best fits your needs.

Once you learn how to use them, Tiling Window Managers can have a great impact on your productivity. Have a look at them, and find a complete new way of controlling your device!

Covered Tiling Window Managers: bspwm, dwm, Xmonad, i3, awesome, herbstluftwm

This course is part of the LinuxDays of the student association TheAlternative.ch, the digital arm of [project21]. In the digital age, we want to draw attention to a sustainable interaction with knowledge and culture. We want to encourage usage and comprehension of Free and Open Source Software (also known as FOSS) as an alternative to proprietary software, as well as promote similar open alternatives in other areas.

Our LinuxDays are a series of events designed to introduce Linux to beginners and help those who already have it enhance their knowledge. They are created mainly for users of other operating systems who want to discover and/or eventually switch to Linux. We start all the way from the bottom and guide you on your way up to a safer and more comfortable digital lifestyle.

In our courses, we cover philosophical aspects as well as technical content. Users already familiar to Linux can jump in at any time to learn more about the wonders of Linux and Free Software. During our Install Events, we will personally assist you in installing Linux on your laptop. Don't worry - of course you can keep your existing OS and additionally use Linux if you want to.

After visiting our courses, you will not only have an easy-to-use and efficient operating system on your computer, but also know how to get the best out of it and find more information on your own in case you are enticed with Linux. You don't have to worry about the limits and costs of proprietary software anymore.

All students of Zürich may attend our events for free. In consideration of international participants, all courses are held in English.

https://youtu.be/Api6dFMlxAA

• Like 1

securitybreach

Out of all the ones she mentions, i3 window manager is the easiest to configure and use out of all the ones she listed.

securitybreach

Nice. I used xmonad for five years before moving to i3wm three years or so ago and couldn't be happier.

Hedon James

i considered trying out scrotwm just for the novelty of the name. curious as to who would name their software that, and were they even aware of the image it conjures. juvenile, but funny....maybe it's just me?! :w00t:

• Like 1

securitybreach

i considered trying out scrotwm just for the novelty of the name. curious as to who would name their software that, and were they even aware of the image it conjures. juvenile, but funny....maybe it's just me?! :w00t:

Well I dunno where they got that from but scrot is a well known screenshot application that has been around for many years (since 2000). It is the only screenshot application that I will ever use as it does everything but doesn't require a gui at all.

I really liked i3 and still use it when I use Archbang which is on the 1st partition of my HD. I'm using Slackware now which is on the other partition. If I recall, the only reason I went with spectrwm on my Slack setup is because I was having problems with the slackbuilds...... I started tiling a few years ago. I just get bored with the "regular" window managers and it really looks cool when I'm at the library using the internet and I have that thing tiling like crazy! :)

http://www.qsl.net/wa4chq/screenshotz.jpg

• Like 1

securitybreach

That screenshot was my "in public" mode.... :whistling:

Right... Don't feel bad, I always "set up" my screenshots before posting.

This thread has kicked me back into geek mode and I've just installed herbstluftwm. I very briefly used awesome on Arch, but I'm green as can be when it comes to tiling window managers. I'll spend a few days tweaking it, and share a screenshot when it's ready for public viewing.

• Like 1

securitybreach

This thread has kicked me back into geek mode and I've just installed herbstluftwm. I very briefly used awesome on Arch, but I'm green as can be when it comes to tiling window managers. I'll spend a few days tweaking it, and share a screenshot when it's ready for public viewing.

You should of went with i3wm then as it is easily configurable (plain text config) but just as feature rich as the others.

You should of went with i3wm then as it is easily configurable (plain text config) but just as feature rich as the others.

In all honesty, with so many to choose from, I resorted to rolling a pair of dice. :teehee:

Anyhow, here's what it looks like so far. Not much different from the default yet. I've added a second panel (tint2), changed the color scheme, and added a hotkey for dmenu...

FyUkoED7.png

I'll probably post in the "Show us your desktop" thread if I do more significant configuring.

• Like 2

securitybreach

Looks nice but I think that is the first time I have seen a tiling setup with a launcher bar. Most of the setups I have seen use dmenu or an equivalent to launch applications and stalonetray for a tray :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Looks good.....I sorta tried herbstluftwm but that was after i3 and spectrwm. Never went anywhere with it.....I sometime check DotShare.it for ideas with layouts, color schemes etc.

http://dotshare.it/dots/

Left hand side look for "wms" and then you'll see the list.....

• Like 2