Google+ Going Dark

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

https://blog.google/...project-strobe/

What alternative platforms do the G+ users here plan on using once G+ is gone? Pluspora? MeWe? Diaspora? FaceBook, Twitter?

Pluspora is Diaspora. You can join any Diaspora pod and connect with any one else on any other pod. I originally joined Diaspora via joindiaspora.com pod like 6 years ago but never used it much. I just updated my profile and will be posting there as well.

Remember, G+ is not going away for 10 months and a lot can change in that amount of time in the tech world. So right now, it's not a huge threat.

https://blog.google/...project-strobe/

What alternative platforms do the G+ users here plan on using once G+ is gone? Pluspora? MeWe? Diaspora? FaceBook, Twitter?

quite an assumption you are making, that there are G+ users here. :whistling:

Yeah, I only have 4,800 followers and 66,000+ in my Community alone.....

V.T. Eric Layton
quite an assumption you are making, that there are G+ users here. :whistling:

There are three that I know of... ;)

securitybreach

So are you going to move to an open source platform for your G+ Arch community any time soon then Josh ? :breakfast:

Eventually but not yet.

V.T. Eric Layton

Pluspora is Diaspora. You can join any Diaspora pod and connect with any one else on any other pod. I originally joined Diaspora via joindiaspora.com pod like 6 years ago but never used it much. I just updated my profile and will be posting there as well.

Remember, G+ is not going away for 10 months and a lot can change in that amount of time in the tech world. So right now, it's not a huge threat.

I have an old Diaspora account from when the NymWars were going on at the beginning of G+. Can I log into that and access Pluspora?

Also, what, if anything, have you heard about this MeWe thing?

What's going to be sad is that all the folks on G+ will disperse to multiple replacement platforms and we may lose friends as a result. I'm easy to find. All my friends on G+ know my email addy, website, and that fact that I hang out here. That doesn't mean they'll come looking, though.

As as to your statement about there being no hurry... well, Google is winding it down. Bottom line is that it's a $$$ thing. Now that they've admitted that they made this decision way back in March, I'm pretty sure they're committed to it. They don't want to spend the time/$$$ that it would take to secure their Swiss cheese platform. They're not even sure how, if, when the d@mn thing has been breached/utilized by baddies on the Net; or, they're not admitting that they know the extent of the breach, anyway.

I'm not worried about the security issue. The only thing a hacker can harvest from my G+ would be my tastes in music, books, pets, Linux distributions, motorcycle, philosophies, extensive profanity vocabulary, etc. Anyone who follows me anywhere on the Nets already knows all that stuff. ;)

securitybreach

I have an old Diaspora account from when the NymWars were going on at the beginning of G+. Can I log into that and access Pluspora?

Also, what, if anything, have you heard about this MeWe thing?

No but you can access any one who is on Pluspora using your diaspora account.

As far as MeWe, its another popular one and it lets you create groups. I made an Arch Linux group there but I have not made a decision yet as we have only know about G+ closing since yesterday.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Interesting that the post about this in Social Media got responses but not the post in Security.

Well considering how frequently major companies lose user data, the real news here is that Google is closing G+ because of it or should I say "they are using it as an excuse to close G+". This happens weekly with Facebook and others but they do nothing to curtail it.

They're not even sure how, if, when the d@mn thing has been breached/utilized by baddies on the Net; or, they're not admitting that they know the extent of the breach, anyway.

The Wall Street Journal has revealed that Google+ inadvertently exposed personal data to app developers, and did not disclose the oversight to their users. The security flaw was discovered by Google in March 2018, but it was not reported at the time due to concerns about regulatory oversight."Google exposed the private data of hundreds of thousands of users of the Google+ social network and then opted not to disclose the issue this past spring, in part because of fears that doing so would draw regulatory scrutiny and cause reputational damage, according to people briefed on the incident and documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal."The security flaw was discovered in one of the Google+ People APIs. It meant that when users allowed apps to access their profile (and the public data of their friends), the apps had access to data even if it was set to private. The vulnerability was limited to the user's name, email address, occupation, gender and age.Google first discovered and patched the flaw in March 2018 as part of 'Project Strobe', in which the company reviewed third-party developer access to Google account and Android device data. Profiles of up to 500,000 Google+ accounts were potentially affected. According to a statement, they "found no evidence that any developer was aware of this bug, or abusing the API, and we found no evidence that any Profile data was misused", and consequently Google took the decision not to inform users.

Considering the Facebook latest hack 500,000 users data hacked from G+ looks like a drop in the ocean. :devil:

Facebook: Up to 90 million addicts' accounts slurped by hackers, no thanks to crappy code

The Facebook Hack: Three Days On, What We Know

Lucky fro me I do not use Faceslap but am unfortunately a G+ user. :ermm:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, as stated here or somewhere... I don't use my Real ID® anywhere on the Internets, so any data they scarfed from my G+ account is pretty much worthless to them, whoever they may be.

securitybreach

This is a repost of my post on G+ :

This should clear up some confusion about all the social sites that are federated like Mastodon, Diapora (Pluspora, joindiaspora.com, etc), GnuSocial, Sonic, FriendIca, etc.

Think of it like this. Back in the day, you could only get email from yahoo users if you used yahoo, same with aol and others. Then later on, you were able to get email messages from any provider.

So instead of everything just being on G+ for instance, it could be spread over various websites and you could view and interact with anyone in those networks with whatever client (or site) you choose. You can view anyone's feed and interact with anyone on any of the social network sites that are federated. You can only log into whichever one you chose in the beginning but you can interact and share across any platform due to them being in the federated group.

That either explained it a bit better to you or completely confused you. I am still trying to understand it all.

The video isn't the best but it explains it well enough. All of the other ones that explain what this means are geared towards a certain one of them. This is more of a generic explanation.

http://youtu.be/YVqxSTqbV94[/media]

And also,

"Distributed social network projects generally develop software, protocols, or both. The software is generally free and open source, and the protocols are generally open and free.Open standards such as OAuth authorization, OpenID authentication, OStatus federation, ActivityPub federation protocol, XRD metadata discovery, the Portable Contacts protocol, the Wave Federation Protocol, the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) (aka Jabber), OpenSocial widget APIs, microformats like XFN and hCard, and Atom web feeds—increasingly referred to together as the Open Stack—are often cited as enabling technologies for distributed social networking."

https://en.wikipedia..._social_network

So it's basically opensourced social media instead of locked down Facebook, G+, Twitter, etc. that sell and loose your data on a regular basis.

https://plus.google....sts/Ld81ezNW9vk

• Like 2