Does DSL Service require active phone service?

GolfProRM

I've got a co-worker who's thinking about upgrading his internet service to a DSL service by Alltel. We're trying to figure out if he needs to keep his land line activated to get DSL... he's thinking about dropping the land line for a cell phone, but can't do that if DSL requires the land line...Anyone know if you can do this???

Since the DSL connects through your land line - it uses the digital portion they told me, I can not believe a phone company would allow DSL with you not paying for local service. It is about the only thing keeping us with a local line, other than the lousy reception due to the sand dune out front blocking signals!

We found the info.."Alltell must be your Local Service Provider for you to subscribe to DSL."Bummer... that's the problem with dealing with phone companies... you're at their mercy... :)

Just to clarify on this point, it varies by provider. Not all DSL service shares an existing phone line. In fact, the better services do not (although there are differences of opinion on this point). Bottom line: Your friend should call just to be sure. It does sound like Alltel requires analog phone service too, but the wording you posted is not 100-percent unambiguous. I'd double-check.-- Scot

We found the info.."Alltell must be your Local Service Provider for you to subscribe to DSL."Bummer...  that's the problem with dealing with phone companies...  you're at their mercy... ;)
I noticed I forgot one word when I quoted the Alltel DSL FAQ..."Alltell must be your Local TELEPHONE Service Provider for you to subscribe to DSL."Pretty much takes the ambiguity out of it.