[Alpha1] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad

securitybreach

securitybreach

Well ICS is available for the HP Touchpad now:

Hi there, Internet! Remember us?

It’s time once again for another ground-breaking, earth-shattering, mind-blowing release. We’ve got something super-special and creamy for y’all to taste.

If you thought CyanogenMod 7 was great, this alpha is *two* CyanogenMods better. That’s right, introducing CyanogenMod 9 for Touchpad, Alpha 0! That’s a “zero” as in “zero hardware-accelerated video”, “zero camera”, and “zero support!”

There’s one other zero we’d like to mention. Zero reasons to not give you the source code. So, for the first time, we’re making ALL the source for the HP Touchpad for CyanogenMod 9 available for you to build CyanogenMod 9 yourself from scratch........

Hardware Video (OMX). As a result, Netflix does not work, YouTube works only only in non-HD videos.

Audio is a mess. The microphone does not work. Work on the current libaudio solution has halted because we will eventually switch to a CAF libaudio.

Camera does not work. The only libcamera.so that we have is from froyo and its closed source. There is a wrapper for QCOM gingerbread libcamera libraries that could likely be used as a basis to get our camera working.

Market filters prevent some apps from being installed (this can partly solved by switching back to standard DPI settings(120, 160, 240). The current build is using 160 which fixes the market but makes everything look ugly and low resolution.

Titanium Backup crashes the kernel. There’s an investigation in progress...There are reports that older versions do work.

Most of the hardware problems from CM7 still exist in this CM9 alpha build.

Gapps intended for CM7/Gingerbread will not work in CM9/ICS. If you choose to install GAPPS then you'll need to get an updated compilation

USB file transfers use MTP or PTP in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb. Traditional storage mounting is not supported in the Touchpad build.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releaseal...mod-9-touchpad/

Note: This is the first Alpha build so I may wait a little longer to install it. I have not decided yet although I probably will give it a go considering I will not lose anything.

securitybreach

I am such a geek:

b24f0c171584362.jpg

And no that is not a scratch, that is just the flash. I do not have a single mark on my Touchpad.

securitybreach

So far it works beautifully besides the few small bugs. It seems like ICS was made for this tablet!!!

I am loving it.

securitybreach

CM9 Alpha 0.5 (Google 4.0.3) is released now for the HP Touchpad:

Alpha0.5 Release notes:

This is a minor release that bundles fixes that were previously a separate download and a few other things:

Fix kernel crash that happened most frequently with Titanium Backup but also many other apps(fix found by verygreen)

Touchscreen fixes by Dees_Troy(helps with rapid distinct touches being interporated as a single motion)

Fix graphics corruption that was happening in some games

CM9 changes from Flemmard:

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11944

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11897

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11973

CMStats added

Browser: open link in incognito mode: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11894

Change needed for fsck replacement(was in alpha0 but wanted to make it explicit here until it is merged): http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11875

Other general changes that were merged since alpha0

Extremely stable IMHO, much more so than CM7 B3.

So far it works beautifully besides the few small bugs. It seems like ICS was made for this tablet!!!

I am loving it.

A "few small bugs" depends on your perspective. HD video not working isn't a "small bug" from mine. I much prefer the "XRONisized CM7". Tried CM9 for one day and went right back to CM7.

edit: I just recently "upgraded" to the Touchpad from a couple of Chinese "aPads" and I'm loving it. Got the 16gb version on ebay for $200. AFAIC it was a great day when HP "abandoned" the Touchpad and "open sourced" it.

BTW, security, have you tried Arch on yours? My next project will be to "triple boot" mine with some version of Linux.

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach
BTW, security, have you tried Arch on yours? My next project will be to "triple boot" mine with some version of Linux.

But of course, look at my bootloader above;

I am such a geek:

b24f0c171584362.jpg

And no that is not a scratch, that is just the flash. I do not have a single mark on my Touchpad.

I have WebOS 3.0.5, Archlinux|ARM and CM9 0.5 installed on my 32gb touchpad. I still have 15.9gb free out of 32gb:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 09:54 AM 
╚═══ ~-> novaterm 
JoshuasHPTouchPad / # lvs --units G
  LV        VG    Attr   LSize  
  arch-root store -wi-a-  6.29G                                      
  cm-cache  store -wi-a-  0.21G                                      
  cm-data   store -wi-a-  1.61G                                      
  cm-system store -wi-a-  0.32G                                      
  filecache store -wimao  0.14G                                      
  log       store -wimao  0.03G                                      
  media     store -wimao 21.11G                                      
  mojodb    store -wimao  0.27G                                      
  root      store -wimao  0.60G                                      
  swap      store -wimao  0.54G                                      
  update    store -wima-  0.02G                                      
  var       store -wimao  0.07G

JoshuasHPTouchPad / # df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                31.0M     27.3M      3.7M  88% /boot
/dev/mapper/store-root
                        559.1M    431.2M    127.8M  77% /
/dev/mapper/store-root
                        559.1M    431.2M    127.8M  77% /dev/.static/dev
tmpfs                     2.0M    176.0K      1.8M   9% /dev
/dev/mapper/store-var
                         62.0M      8.1M     53.8M  13% /var
/dev/mapper/store-log
                         23.2M      8.9M     14.3M  38% /var/log
tmpfs                    40.0M    184.0K     39.8M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                    16.0M     72.0K     15.9M   0% /var/run
tmpfs                    32.0M      8.0K     32.0M   0% /var/tmp
tmpfs                   459.2M         0    459.2M   0% /media/ram
/dev/mapper/store-media
                         19.7G      4.5G     15.1G  23% /media/internal
cryptofs                 19.7G      4.5G     15.1G  23% /media/cryptofs
/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb
                        240.0M     38.5M    201.4M  16% /var/db
/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache
                        127.5M     24.5M    103.0M  19% /var/file-cache
/dev/loop0              124.0M      5.6M    112.0M   5% /opt

Archlinux only requires 4gb for the installation/setup but I made a 6gb partition for it, Android takes about 2.14gb, and WebOS takes around 4.5gb. The rest of the diskspace is used by media (wallpapers, etc) and application data.

But of course, look at my bootloader above;

I have WebOS 3.0.5, Archlinux|ARM and CM9 0.5 installed on my 32gb touchpad. I still have 15.9gb free out of 32gb:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 09:54 AM 
╚═══ ~-> novaterm 
JoshuasHPTouchPad / # lvs --units G
  LV        VG    Attr   LSize  
  arch-root store -wi-a-  6.29G                                      
  cm-cache  store -wi-a-  0.21G                                      
  cm-data   store -wi-a-  1.61G                                      
  cm-system store -wi-a-  0.32G                                      
  filecache store -wimao  0.14G                                      
  log       store -wimao  0.03G                                      
  media     store -wimao 21.11G                                      
  mojodb    store -wimao  0.27G                                      
  root      store -wimao  0.60G                                      
  swap      store -wimao  0.54G                                      
  update    store -wima-  0.02G                                      
  var       store -wimao  0.07G

JoshuasHPTouchPad / # df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                31.0M     27.3M      3.7M  88% /boot
/dev/mapper/store-root
                        559.1M    431.2M    127.8M  77% /
/dev/mapper/store-root
                        559.1M    431.2M    127.8M  77% /dev/.static/dev
tmpfs                     2.0M    176.0K      1.8M   9% /dev
/dev/mapper/store-var
                         62.0M      8.1M     53.8M  13% /var
/dev/mapper/store-log
                         23.2M      8.9M     14.3M  38% /var/log
tmpfs                    40.0M    184.0K     39.8M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                    16.0M     72.0K     15.9M   0% /var/run
tmpfs                    32.0M      8.0K     32.0M   0% /var/tmp
tmpfs                   459.2M         0    459.2M   0% /media/ram
/dev/mapper/store-media
                         19.7G      4.5G     15.1G  23% /media/internal
cryptofs                 19.7G      4.5G     15.1G  23% /media/cryptofs
/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb
                        240.0M     38.5M    201.4M  16% /var/db
/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache
                        127.5M     24.5M    103.0M  19% /var/file-cache
/dev/loop0              124.0M      5.6M    112.0M   5% /opt

Archlinux only requires 4gb for the installation/setup but I made a 6gb partition for it, Android takes about 2.14gb, and WebOS takes around 4.5gb. The rest of the diskspace is used by media (wallpapers, etc) and application data.

My TP is only 16gb but with webOS and XRON CM7 and lots of apps, I still have close to 8.9 gb left. Actually, CM7 does everything I need for the TP. I have plenty of others "boxes" running Linux including a 10" netbook. So putting Linux on the TP would strickly be a "just for the fun of it" project. :thumbsup: But with the space I have, it will probably something small like Puppy or Slitaz.

securitybreach
My TP is only 16gb but with webOS and XRON CM7 and lots of apps, I still have close to 8.9 gb left. Actually, CM7 does everything I need for the TP. I have plenty of others "boxes" running Linux including a 10" netbook. So putting Linux on the TP would strickly be a "just for the fun of it" project. :thumbsup: But with the space I have, it will probably something small like Puppy or Slitaz.

Well only Ubuntu, Debian, Bodhi and Archlinux are available right now: http://liliputing.com/2011/12/arch-ubuntu-...pad-tablet.html

The Archlinux port is currently the most functional of the distros available. That said Audio, BT, and the Webcam do not currently work on any of the distros but the touchscreen is completely functional under Arch.

Well only Ubuntu, Debian, Bodhi and Archlinux are available right now: http://liliputing.com/2011/12/arch-ubuntu-...pad-tablet.html

The Archlinux port is currently the most functional of the distros available. That said Audio, BT, and the Webcam do not currently work on any of the distros but the touchscreen is completely functional under Arch.

I thought I saw a Debian/ARM port to which you could add your choice of GUI's. Could be wrong.

securitybreach
I thought I saw a Debian/ARM port to which you could add your choice of GUI's. Could be wrong.

I listed the Debian port above but all of the ports are a prebuilt image for the touchpad. So you would have to remove gnome(or whatever wm it comes with) and then install a lighter environment. You basically just extract an already setup image after doing the required steps. My comment was referring to your post:

But with the space I have, it will probably something small like Puppy or Slitaz.

I was just trying to point out that the only available distros are:

Debian|ARM

Ubuntu|ARM

Bodhi|ARM

Archlinux|ARM

If you could find a prebuilt image for Puppy|ARM or Slitaz|Arm, then it could be possible but they would have to include the drivers that the others ports include.

securitybreach

CM9 Alpha0.6 has been releaseed:

Another minor release. While working on bigger problems that will take a while I wanted to push out an update for some things that have happened in the last few days. This is primarily to get Flemmard's work out for more testing. This contains the start of CyanogenMod settings. However, most of the settings are not functional on tablets yet.

With this release I will also provide two flashable zips to allow you to easily switch between lcd density 120 and 160. The default is still 160 because it offers the greatest compatibility. Any lcd density value between 160 and 120 will ruin market compatibility. For those that would like a "higher resolution" look and feel, you may flash the 120 lcd density update.zip. This will copy a new build.prop and will update the launcher for proper display. I strongly recommend changing the font size in Settings->System->Fonts if you chose to do this. The 160 lcd density update is provided to easily revert the change.

1. Touchscreen fixes
  2. Ability to hide the combined bar(navigation buttons and clock) for full screen. This uses the ICS api so it will require app support(not all apps have been updated). This is an option under Settings->[interface]->System->Combined Bar (Credits to Flemmard)
  3. Scrollable quick settings. This will require tweaking later to allow it to be bigger on the Touchpad but fixes overflow issue on 7" tablets with the new Bluetooth toggle. (Credits to Flemmard)
  4. Reboot to recovery is working via the power menu(hold down power button). Note: reboot will sometimes shutdown rather than rebooting.
  5. Preliminary support for Rom Manager. In order to use this you will need Rom Manager Premium because it is not official yet. In order to use it you will need to execute "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" in Rom Manager. Confirm the model is cm_tenderloin, say yes that you have installed manually, and check ClockworkMod 3.x. Now you can use Rom Manager to flash update.zips. Official support should come soon.
  6. Other general changes from syncing with latest changes

• 3 weeks later...
securitybreach

Alpha 1 has been released for CM9 on the HP Touchpad:`

Alpha 1 Release notes:

We finally have hardware video decode working largely thanks to some help from yjwong. This release is primarily just to get hardware decoding out for folks to enjoy while other work continues. This build does not work with Netflix yet. However, hardware accelerated video decoding does work for Youtube HD and playback of local media. This build still uses the 2.6.35 kernel. The 3.0 kernel is still being heavily worked on and is also the primary focus for development. Don't expect hardware video decoding to be perfect yet. Its half a miracle it works at all on our current kernel.

Similar to the last build I will provide flashable zips to make it easier to switch to lcd density 120 with proper launcher layout. The hardware video decoding will not make it into the nightlies for a few days. There is still some work to do in order to get it merged into repositories and ensure it doesn't break other devices.

Hardware video decoding support. As a result, Youtube HD and 720p and 1080p local media will now be playable. Netflix does not work yet.

Includes touchscreen improvements by Dees_Troy

Now able to enable use of 2D companion core to offload composition

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18843-releaseal...mod-9-touchpad/

Alpha 1 has been released for CM9 on the HP Touchpad:`

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18843-releaseal...mod-9-touchpad/

I probably won't use it much, if at all, but I'm still going to wait for them to fix Netflix before switching from CM7. They just got the HD video working yesterday, so I'll wait a few more days to see how stable it is and fixing Netflix will be a good indicator for me.

securitybreach
I probably won't use it much, if at all, but I'm still going to wait for them to fix Netflix before switching from CM7. They just got the HD video working yesterday, so I'll wait a few more days to see how stable it is and fixing Netflix will be a good indicator for me.

Oh you have no idea what you are missing, ICS is a perfect fit for the tablet!!! CM7 seemed incomplete as far as a tablet interface IMHO. I understand if you use Netflix heavily, you are holding back but if you can make do without netflix, you should definitely switch to CM9. This is the 4th release of CM9 for the tablet and almost all bugs have been worked out. IMHO CM9 is just as stable as CM7, if not more so as the fixes in CM7 are incorporated in the later versions.

Oh you have no idea what you are missing, ICS is a perfect fit for the tablet!!! CM7 seemed incomplete as far as a tablet interface IMHO. I understand if you use Netflix heavily, you are holding back but if you can make do without netflix, you should definitely switch to CM9. This is the 4th release of CM9 for the tablet and almost all bugs have been worked out. IMHO CM9 is just as stable as CM7, if not more so as the fixes in CM7 are incorporated in the later versions.

Incomplete in what way? I could "make do without Netflix" but I've read about a lot of instabilities in CM9 and CM7 is running problem free. And you have to realize, I'm one of those people who don't really see a lot of difference between Win7 and XP. :rolleyes: "It's prettier" just doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Does it make browsing easier? Add functions to my ereading? Run Nascar's Raceview? :thumbsup: Get rid of the blankety blanking "mobile view" in browsing?

I will certainly be moving to CM9 at some point but right now I'd have to see some concrete incentive to overcome the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

securitybreach

Well I know you mean but CM7 was a gui based upon a phone interface whereas CM9 is a tablet oriented gui. The way it handles multitasking and other aspects (including web browser) are not available in CM7. Actually, it adds a lot of functionally besides the Web Browser integration.