Windows with UEFI and GPT backups ???????????????

abarbarian

With the above on a pc, that is W7 what are the best tools/softwares to make a backup ??

Also as I only made the UEFI System partition 100 MB, is it possible to make that larger with gparted or such like ???????

If I could would that confuse Windows when reinstalling from a backup made before the change ?????????

If making the partition larger is not an option. Can I make a separate UEFI SYSTEM to allow me to put Arch/other linux's on. ??????

Thankee in advance all the wonderfully clever and kind folk who will swamp me with first class useful information. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Hello,

From what I recall, the UEFI system partition is only supposed to be about 100MB, at least on systems running desktop versions of Windows. It might be larger for server versions, or for other OSes (RHEL?). It basically contains the EFI modules that don't go into firmware since they're provided by the firmware or motherboard manufacturers, CPU vendor, mass storage controller vendor, etc. Those should be independent of any operating system(s) on the computer, and don't really get written to by any of the operating systems on the computer during normal execution unless a firmware update (or something similar) is going on.

My best suggestion would be to just ignore it and continue installing Arch or whichever other distro's you want. If there's a space constraints issue, the installer for that distro should tell you and maybe even offer to resize the partition as needed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks.l I had read about the standard size for the system partition for Windows being 100 MB and that the uefi standard says 500 MB. Was wondering if anyone had any real life experience with this as I want to leave enough room in the system partition for several os's bootloader thingys and I do not seem to be able to find out how big the actual files are for Windows and Arch or any other os. It probably is not a problem as it seems you can have several system partitions for the booting stuff as they can automatically find each other at boot.

What I was really after was

What programs can I use to make a backup clone of the Windows 7 install ????????????? Anything other than the Windows tools which have never worked for me at all.

:breakfast:

I'm sure other folks here will have some FOSS suggestions, but if you don't mind paying a small amount, I've always had good luck with products from Terabyte Unlimited. The cost is reasonable and you get a 30-day free trial, which I've used in the past, so if you don't like it you haven't lost anything. And at least some years ago, the support was good, even for linux.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

• Like 1