I got the book.

cybormoron

I recently finished a good book and decided it was time to check out this H2G2 thingy I keep seeing reference to. I was worried about how much it was gonna cost me though. I never seek out any particular book to read nor do I keep informed of any current best seller list but rather I scour the thrift donation stores for whatever old title might be laying about. For a few days I wondered about where I might find this book. I just knew it was gonna be a long drawn out search to find a copy of this gem without paying through the nose.

So I dropped into one of my local second hand resale stores a few days ago and walked straight up to the huge, dilapidated, cluttered, and unorganized donated used bookshelf area and what should jump out and practically bite me on the nose? That's right, you guessed it. It was: The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide: Complete & Unabridged by Douglas Adams. The complete series in one volume. There it was, actually sticking out from all the others. It couldn't have been more obvious if it was lit up in lights, lol.

My first thought was "No way, that's not actually the book I'm looking for is it?" My second thought was "Did dumb luck providence just guide me here or what?" So I looked around to make sure I wasn't dreaming or something. I carefully slid the book from the shelf and read the front cover. More utter disbelief as to my amazement it lists the five books of the whole series. I was totally dumbfounded at my dumb luck. I scolded myself for feeling giddy. I mumbled a silent thanks to the book gods. I tucked the book up under my arm and started scanning every title for another diamond in the rough but alas I find no more diamonds. I did find a few paperbacks I might as well pick up while I was there though.

Total cost: Two dollars and fifty cents. One dollar for the hardcover and fifty cents each for the three paperbacks. Do I know how to find a book or what? How's that for infinite improbability? ;)

http://www.biblio.com/books/181397283.html

Assuming I haven't actually been living under a rock but have just simply failed to keep informed of popular things, why exactly is this series so popular? What's the big deal? I have read a few chapters so far and I like it but I keep wondering what I've been missing out on. Any explaination?

Edited by cybormoron

securitybreach
Turn of brain. Watch the BBC tv series and listen to the BBC radio series and all will be revealed. :hysterical: :hysterical:

:thumbsup:

[...]

Assuming I haven't actually been living under a rock but have just simply failed to keep informed of popular things, why exactly is this series so popular? What's the big deal? I have read a few chapters so far and I like it but I keep wondering what I've been missing out on. Any explaination?

I wouldn't claim that all the books carry the same popularity , just the Hitch Guide. It was the first sci-fi'ish comedy that I imagine most of us encountered and most that which followed were if not ripped off of HG, inspired by it.

I get the Brit show from 30 years ago and the book mingled, but if you didn't get to the white rats yet don't give up.

First book, done. Now stopping off at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe for a quick bite. Funny how all this actually makes sense. ;)

I reckon I'm just late for the party. I really should get out more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Must be something about that book. I had heard about it and thought about checking it out and actually found it tucked in with some other books on one of the bookshelves here. My husband is always picking up secondhand books, mostly science fiction. He has the best luck at yard sales he actually got me one of my favourite gardening books (Encyclopedia of Canadian Gardening) for $5, I never find gardening books when I'm at a yard sale.

Guest LilBambi

Douglas Adams has a way of speaking/writing that is wonderful to behold!

Just listen to his TED Talk Parrots, the universe, and everything to have just a small sampling of the way his wonderful mind works, err, worked, and find out why that book is so wonderful! He does step into the shadows lighting wise but it's his audio wit that carries it!

You did great on the find Steve! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I did.

All of Douglas Adams' books are wonderful.

Don't read this if you have not read the book / seen the show . I'll make it small just in case

There Ought To Be A Law ...

I know someone whose address is seven-seven-four-two but never even heard of the book.

What a waste :(

securitybreach

Douglas Adams has a way of speaking/writing that is wonderful to behold!

Just listen to his TED Talk Parrots, the universe, and everything to have just a small sampling of the way his wonderful mind works, err, worked, and find out why that book is so wonderful! He does step into the shadows lighting wise but it's his audio wit that carries it!

You did great on the find Steve! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I did.

All of Douglas Adams' books are wonderful.

For sure :thumbsup: