iOS 7, iPhone 4S - volume bar disappears & no sound

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I had no problems with iOS 7 when I first updated to 7.0.

Then I had all kinds of crashing problems with iOS 7.0.1.

Then I had a sigh of relief with iOS 7.0.2 because it seemed all my problems were over! My little iPhone 4S was again working beautifully! As good as it did on iOS 6! What a sigh of relief. I was working great for days since I upgraded to iOS 7.0.2! Never had any audio problems or other problems.

That was ... until I went to bed last night and wanted to listen to an audiobook for a bit. The audiobook started but with no audio and then almost immediately the book stopped reading entirely like I had pushed the button to stop it.

I tried a bunch of stuff like unplugging and replugging the Apple headset to no avail most of the time and at times it would play for a few seconds and stop audio and the book! It was like it was haunted or something. Then it started totally losing the volume bar when it lost audio.

I did some of the things people suggested in the following topics at Apple Discussions, and finally and wasted close to a half hour of major frustration on this problem! Some things seemed to work for a minute but it was the same as when I unplugged and replugged the headphone in the headphone jack. Very frustrating. Sometimes it would actually work for a couple minutes and then just stop again and the volume bar would disappear again. Grrrr!

Here's some of the links I read over:

https://discussions....156740#23156740

https://discussions....art=30&tstart=0

https://discussions....072220#23072220

Since sound/volume started and stopped with the headphone, I remembered someone posting a video which I couldn't watch with something about a butter knife and someone coming back with a post that said that fixed it for them!

Well, it sounded like they wanted us to put a butter knife in the only thing that a butter knife would fit into ... the 30-pin dock connector. I could be wrong since I didn't watch the video, but I wasn't gonna do that for sure. I didn't want to chance shorting out my iPhone 4S. But I thought if something in the dock connector would fix this, I would just check to see if putting the 4S in the dock charger and see what happens...

And miraculously the iPhone 4S started working and never stopped again last night. And this morning it's still working. I have no idea what the heck is going on, but this was crazy!

So if you have a 4S and you have issues with sound not working, the volume bar disappearing, no audio. Try setting the 4S on a charging dock or plug it into the connector attached to a pc or mac.

Worked for me! And it's still working today!

It sounds like your headphone jack is going out. When you unplug headphones from the jack, the audio playback stops. It sounds like the jack is incorrectly showing something being plugged in and unplugged repeatedly.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I really don't think so. It's not conclusive since it doesn't happen all the time with the headset. I have had a notebook that would sometimes drop audio until you plug and unplug headphone or speakers, but this is not what is happening here.

Software things will change it too. It's something odd with iOS 7. If you read the others that have tried various things in the topics, you will see that the folks that restore to iOS 6 makes it come back, or even restoring their iPhone 4S with a current backup.

However, for me, just plugging in the 30-pin dock connector fixed it immediately.

It is so weird and the only thing that worked was plugging into the 30-pin connector.

I get what you're saying. It is odd, and even more odd that it shows up once you have 7.0.3. However, I think that is coincidental.

Plugging in the dock connector is a pretty big clue. When you do that, the phone forcibly tries to reroute audio.

I've seen symptoms similar to yours a few times in the past. In each case, it was the headphone jack. For some reason, there's some sort of reliability issue going on. Apple will just swap out the phone in this case. Is the phone still under warranty?

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that is very true, when you plugin the dock connector it does view the audio output and determine if it needs to reroute audio. It does this even if it's a connection that ONLY charges as well? Since the dock charger also fixes it.

Not sure on warranty.

Will have to look into that.

BTW: The problem does return. It does not return right away. But it did return and putting back on the dock charger does fix it again.

Guest LilBambi

No this issue didn't occur in iOS 6 apparently for anyone. So whatever hardware issue it is, may be exacerbated by iOS 7.

Yes, I have the insurance which also extended the warranty so if Verizon determines it is a hardware issue, they will replace it overnight free of charge (unless there is water damage, or abuse) apparently. No worries about that here.

Will give a call today but have to borrow Jim's phone to do that as they want you to call from another phone.

Guest LilBambi

Called and talked to Verizon Wireless and guess what. It was not misbehaving...

Even so I backed up, reset and restored iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S.

Still not misbehaving ... not conclusive.

It can go hours without misbehaving and start up again...sigh...

The lady said she would call back about 4PM to confirm whether it's working right or not after the reset and restoration.

It's still working fine after the restoration. LOL!

Tomorrow someone should call me back to see if it's still working....

I HATE INTERMITTENTS!