It looks like I may take the plunge!!!!

Debora

I'm forced into buying a new laptop. Mostly because the one I've had for awhile, I've finally worn out. I do that about every couple of years but this time, I had a Vaio and it's lasted for four!! That's got to be a record somewhere!!! I do NOT use a pc for normal day to day stuff, I use my laptop, parked right next to my lcd tv and fireplace!!!I'm really checking out the newest MacBook Pro's mostly because of their dual boot with Windows so I can slowly merge things over and still depend on Windows for now until I become a true MacAddict!!! :P So, I'm open to any suggestions... best places to buy, etc, currently I'm looking on ebay mostly because of price and I've purchased about five laptops there so far so this is not scaring me at all either..... thanks in advance for the help :w00t:

Well... I did it!!! Ebay can be one's best friend!! LOL I am expecting an overnight delivery tomorrow for a MacBook Pro 15" with DuoCore processor, 1Gig ram, and 120 Gig hard drive... lots of other specs too but can't remember them all hahaha...... Now... anyone want to recommend their favorite software for a MacNoob like me? I've never even looked at a mac before this purchase so I have no software except what comes with it, which is the main reason I went with this model for the dual boot option with windows, and I've got my xp pro cd just waiting the install.....I'm also going to need a recommendation for a great software that will relocate or migrate my applications from the Sony I use now, to the new Windows side of my Mac! I finally took the plunge!!!!! Look out Mac world... here I come!!!! ;-)

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of Mac! First off, if you're planning to install XP on it, you'll need to either download the latest beta of BootCamp from the Apple site or buy Parallels. I haven't gotten one of the newer Intel Macs, so I can't really help there. As for other software, what do you want to do with the Mac? If it doesn't come with iLife '06, you'll want to get that (iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iWeb, and GarageBand). I've found that I don't use much that didn't come already on my Macs. I've downloaded a couple of other browsers, Camino and Firefox, but use Safari (Apple's default) most of the time. You don't really need to worry about all the anti-badthing programs you used on Windows when you're running OS X. However, when you're running XP on the Mac, you're subject to all the same nasties that can impact any Windows system, so you still need those programs installed under XP. You'll probably find very quickly that you spend less and less time on the Windows side.

Edited by bjf123

I'm about to "take the plunge" too, with the new PowerBook Pro 17".So I can still work with Windows only apps, should I download XP or Vista (price no object) ?Nessnormness at gmail.com

Edited by Ness

My personal preference is XP Pro. I say that because for one, I'm used to it, and for two, Vista bugs haven't had time to work themselves out, and three price...... I'll be dual booting with OS X and XP Pro. beyond that, it's anyone's guess what all I'll find to install!!!!

Guess as usual then you'll just think I'm illogical. I do it because I've never had a Mac and I make my living online and must continue to use Windows until I learn a totally new machine and OS. Perfectly Logical to me..... anyone else?

Guess as usual then you'll just think I'm illogical. I do it because I've never had a Mac and I make my living online and must continue to use Windows until I learn a totally new machine and OS. Perfectly Logical to me..... anyone else?
I did not bring you into this at all. I brought the us of a Windows OS on a Mac. I believe this is the first post of yours that I ever replied to in this forum so I have no idea of what you are talking about. Try staying on the topic as personally I don't care if you try to run Dos 6.2 on your Mac. I believe that Biff posted the below:
However, when you're running XP on the Mac, you're subject to all the same nasties that can impact any Windows system, so you still need those programs installed under XP. You'll probably find very quickly that you spend less and less time on the Windows side.
I would run a Windows OS on a PC. If you want to learn OS X then use it. I find that is a good way to learn things.

Makes sense to me. I'll probably install XP when I get a MacBookPro later this year (when we retire my wife's iBook and she gets my PowerBook). I keep a PC around right now just to run Quicken (the Mac version is severely lacking) and QuickBooks.

I would run a Windows OS on a PC. If you want to learn OS X then use it. I find that is a good way to learn things.
And you are entitled to your opinion... I asked for help and recommendations for software
Makes sense to me. I'll probably install XP when I get a MacBookPro later this year (when we retire my wife's iBook and she gets my PowerBook). I keep a PC around right now just to run Quicken (the Mac version is severely lacking) and QuickBooks.
That's really good to know. I use Quicken alot and appreciate that info. Instead of switching to the Mac Version, I'll just run the current one I have on the Windows side then, and save the money! Thanks!!

The frustrating part about Quicken is that Intuit makes a conversion routine to translate the data from the Windows to the Mac verison, but it doesn't translate all the data. Some things don't work at all, and others have to be manually re-entered. I've never quite understood why they can't translate their own data.

No kidding? Well thanks for alerting me to the headaches!!! I'll not try the conversion as of yet then. Maybe they'll get smarter and make their Quicken programs more Mac friendly.......and soon!