Microsoft Hallowe'en Documents

Peachy

If you aren't aware, Microsoft has been very concerned about Linux since at least 1998. Here's a link to all the so-called Hallowe'en documents, so named because the first one that was leaked was written on October 31, 1998.

Did read that a while ago, scary !Would like to link you to a nice site but am not allowed to use the F word !(hint: F M dot com ):( Bruno

Cluttermagnet
If you aren't aware, Microsoft has been very concerned about Linux since at least 1998. Here's a link to all the so-called Hallowe'en documents, so named because the first one that was leaked was written on October 31, 1998.
Lessee- they need less competiton and that leads to higher prices, according to their business model? I think this item from one of the pages referenced pretty much says it all:"4. Therefore, for Microsoft to win, the customer must lose." Wow- that is _so_ sad. Seems like they started out very much win-win and did so very much for their customers that it made them pretty much an overnight sensation. Ah, the evils of bottom-line-driven, publically traded companies. It's ironic that the same economic model and engine that pushed us so far ahead can also be our undoing.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Peachy!That's much of the evidence we have been reading all along but all collected in one place. Excellent.Their stance that Linux basically poses a "Clear and Present Danger" really is a scary thing coming from an 8,000 lb gorilla!

Their stance that Linux basically poses a "Clear and Present Danger" really is a scary thing coming from an 8,000 lb gorilla!
MS

Did read that a while ago, scary !Would like to link you to a nice site but am not allowed to use the F word !(hint: F M dot com )B) Bruno
B) after one wrong try (used word 'me' instead of 'microsoft' to replace the 'm') heheheok, found the site, but not until got subjected to lots of lots of teetees B) interesting site(s). bookmarked both of them B)

thank god i had mozilla's popup blocker running, or my first guess couldve got me in trouble here at work.. B) by the way, a better way to advertise your site is www.windows-sucks.com. it goes to the same page. very good link, found lots of new info out i didnt even know. thanx for introducing so many of us to Linux. B)

Clever Prelude, very clever !

my first guess couldve got me in trouble here at work
Let me guess where you ended up . . did you wipe your ¨temp¨, ¨temp internet files¨, ¨history¨ and ¨cookies¨ ? ( What a guy has to go through to cover his tracks ! ) B)B) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

I don't like the title of that website, but I would still suggest that Windows users read the article on the Hidden Files.Years ago, I found them by accident when I was trying to upgrade the hard way and still salvage my programs (the ones I wasn't going to have to reinstall that is), image files, and other personal files, etc. I didn't own a CD-RW at the time, a Zip Drive, or a Tape backup. And floppies just weren't going to do it. (After that I started using a computer on our local network to put these things until I got a CD-RW).Anyway, I set about what I thought would be a simple directory removal. I booted to DOS (I still had a DOS directory back then) and attempted to use normal DOS removal tools to remove the Windows directory (to go from Win95 to Win98 with my upgrade CD by using the setup that is within the Win98 dir instead of the main setup.exe in the root directory of the CD).It kept telling me it wasn't empty even after I had removed each and every sub directory. I looked again and it looked empty to me! B) I then used some of my collection of old DOS day utilities, and was ultimately able to delete everything which turned out to be a myriad of deep super-hidden dirs that you couldn't even see even when you set the attributes so you should have been able to see hidden and/or system files. It took me hours to extricate that Windows directory. I had quite a rude awakening. One I have never forgotten.I then installed the Windows 98 and started my reinstallation of programs. But I have never forgotten what I learned.I now have a CD-RW and back up everything of value. When I have to reinstall Windows, I always re-partition first.

Anyway, I set about what I thought would be a simple directory removal. I booted to DOS (I still had a DOS directory back then) and attempted to use normal DOS removal tools to remove the Windows directory (to go from Win95 to Win98 with my upgrade CD by using the setup that is within the Win98 dir instead of the main setup.exe in the root directory of the CD).It kept telling me it wasn't empty even after I had removed each and every sub directory. I looked again and it looked empty to me!  B) I then used some of my collection of old DOS day utilities, and was ultimately able to delete everything which turned out to be a myriad of deep super-hidden dirs that you couldn't even see even when you set the attributes so you should have been able to see hidden and/or system files. It took me hours to extricate that Windows directory. I had quite a rude awakening. One I have never forgotten.
That´s funny Fran, I went though exactly the same routine years ago, it was a long long hot evening ! B) Bruno

jbredmound
I don't like the title of that website, but I would still suggest that Windows users read the article on the Hidden Files.
Years ago, when Bill & Co were bright eyed and bushy tailed, they set out to run a service organization. I really think that their run-in with IBM changed all that; "if we're going to survive, we have to run with the Big Dogs"...In retrospect, it is really sad; they did not start up in a time when "trustworthy computing" was a buzzword, when "interoperability" was a concern...In some ways, even with all their money, they are "roadkill". They learned to fight, though, and fight they will."I am just a poorboy, though my story's seldom told. How I squandered my existence for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises."Hidden code, hidden agendas, and dreams that turned out to be nightmares. I think the Linux folks need to look carefully at history, or be ready to repeat it.

Clever Prelude, very clever !
my first guess couldve got me in trouble here at work
Let me guess where you ended up . . did you wipe your ¨temp¨, ¨temp internet files¨, ¨history¨ and ¨cookies¨ ? ( What a guy has to go through to cover his tracks ! ) ;);) Bruno
no prob here, bruno, since i use mozilla at work. mozilla's cache names are scrambled, i have cookies on per/site basis, and have history disabled.speaking of history, who else hates the silly 'Recent Documents' and 'Recent Accessed Files' that Windows keeps track of? Like I want my boss to know what files i've had open (i.e. john's resume.doc B) ). sheesh.. i wonder how many poor souls lost their jobs or missed out on promotions thanks to Gate's stupid default 'track-all-your-moves' Windows.Lil'Bambi: i can't stand XP for that reason. why on earth is "documents and settings/application data/" a hidden folder??? i ALWAYS have to access it if i want to back up my mozilla email or any other programs settings. grrrr ;)

Prelude, they don´t hide those things so that YOU can have any benefit from it B) ! What were you thinking ?B) Bruno