Latest Firefox version, is in the slow lane!

onederer

Hi,

I don't really appreciate browsers which have mind of their own. Don't you agree?

My latest version Firefox Browser and Google Mail, suddenly decided that my Internet connection was in the slow lane, and I got parked in that lane. Usually when using Google Mail, at the bottom of the browser, there is a choice to use the fast mode for high speed Internet connections, and a slow speed browser mode for latent connections. It's also telling me to get a "modern" browser! Do believe that? Geesh!

Well, in my case, after being put in the slow lane, the choices at the bottom of the browser, suddenly disappeared. I can't select back to the fast Google Mail application that I've gotten used to. I'm stuck in the old-fashion email application. Downloading Firefox, once again, because perhaps the old one was corrupt, didn't change anything. Looks like it all has to do with Google Mail and the way they setup their email applications. At least that's my conclusion.

So, all you bright people out there, what do you think of that? Anyone got a solution as to that email speed change? I want to get back to where I was before. For now, I'll be using Chrome for my email, until I can find a solution.However, I still prefer Firefox.

Cheers!

securitybreach

If you do not mind, I am going to move this to Social Media since this is more a browser/website issue than a linux or installation issue. I will leave a link in BATL as well so everyone can see it:

Social Media

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

Thanks

I assume when you say google email, you mean gmail right?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Seriously, though...

If you want take control of your email, then use a stand-alone email client to access your email providers' servers and access/retrieve your emails for you and download them to your system.

Email clients:

Thunderbird

Evolution

Kmail

et cetera.

http://linuxxcommand.blogspot.com/2014/02/7-best-email-clients-on-linux.html

Take control of your Inbox. Never worry about what goes on on the website again. It's grand. I've been using email since March of 2000. I haven't used webmail for any reason since about June of 2000.

It's a personal choice.

• Like 1

securitybreach

This may be it:

Switching views

If you're directed to Gmail's basic HTML view, but would like to try the standard view, visit http://mail.google.c...?nocheckbrowser. Keep in mind that standard view may not work, even with this link, if your browser isn't supported.

It sounds like you clicked basic view and need to revert.

• Like 1

Hi,

I gave up using local email, because my HD was getting overfull, and if the OS goes belly-up (which has happened often), then more than likely, I'd be in trouble. This is why I decided to use an external email application. They got the room, it's free, and things stay the same. This removes from me the burden of maintaining local emails.

I can understand your view point, and there are benefits to that. I've been there, and done that. But I like being able to turn on any machine, anywhere, and get the email that way, with no special coding or setups on my part.

Cheers!

V.T. Eric Layton

Do you save all your emails? I have never in all the years that I've used a system-based email client ever had space issues.

If you do save all your emails because they are of some import to you, I hope you realize that if Gmail's server fails, they're not responsible for your lost emails. They would be gone forever. Years ago, I knew a young lady who was writing a novel. She had written twenty chapters - nearly 800 pages' worth. She thought it would be really neat and convenient to keep it stored on her Hotmail account. The server that her account data was on failed one day. She had no backups.

====

Anyway, like I said... it's a personal choice. We do what works best for each of us. That's as it should be. :)

Hey, Breach!

Thanks for the link! I tried it, and it works! My browser is Firefox, the latest version. AFIK it has always been supported. I was in standard mode, then the next day, I got parked into the HTML mode. I did look at the bottom of the browser, in gmail, and the choice of standard mode or HTML mode is still missing. Still don't know why. I didn't click to change to HTML mode. It just happened overnight, while I was sleeping. And no! I'm not a sleepwalker!

• Like 1

Do you save all your emails? I have never in all the years that I've used a system-based email client ever had space issues.

If you do save all your emails because they are of some import to you, I hope you realize that if Gmail's server fails, they're not responsible for your lost emails. They would be gone forever. Years ago, I knew a young lady who was writing a novel. She had written twenty chapters - nearly 800 pages' worth. She thought it would be really neat and convenient to keep it stored on her Hotmail account. The server that her account data was on failed one day. She had no backups.

====

No, I only save a few vital emails. The rest get deleted after being read. I used to save everything but that's a waste of space and time. Most of the stuff that I get is not personal (person-to-person) email.

Anyway, like I said... it's a personal choice. We do what works best for each of us. That's as it should be. :)