New Web Browser for Power Users

ebrke

That browser might be interesting, but the article was poor.

After the vicious early days when the world of Web browsers closely resembled the ruthless world of the railroad barons a century earlier, the browser market settled down to something pretty boring. First there was IE and Firefox. A few years later, Apple introduced Safari. Several years after that, Google launched Chrome. And since Chrome arrived in 2008, the Web hasn't seen another major browser launch—until now.
When Mozilla took over from Netscape, the browser market was anything but "settled down to something pretty boring". I can remember some pretty exciting lawsuits, dirty tricks, and downright skullduggery in the browser market for a long time after Netscape gave up and Mozilla took over.

What about mentioning other very useful and popular browsers, Opera for instance.

• Like 2

Opera, Popular? http://www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-january-2015-ie8-usage-triples/

It's under 2%. Firefox is lower than those stats show, under 12% and fading daily.

I can't find the chart I looked at earlier this week showing both the US and Irish companies that track browser usage.

I'll keep my eye open for something new. Vivaldi you say? Thanks.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Yeah, Opera is rarely used by anyone anymore. It is very bloated (in terms of UI, not space) and has fallen to the side against chrome/chromium and firefox. Heck, I do not think I know anyone who uses it anymore.

Opera, Popular? http://www.sitepoint...-usage-triples/

It's under 2%. Firefox is lower than those stats show, under 12% and fading daily.

The quote from the article is not talking about browser usage today but in the 2003 - 200? years. At that time, the end of the browser wars, the browser usage stats were very different from todays.

Others that were popular enough that I remember trying them.

Konqueror (Safari was a fork of it)

Epiphany

AOL Explorer

Edited by amenditman

Actually, the person instrumental in developing Vivaldi is trying to recreate the "old" Opera (last seen in version 12 apparently)--the highly customizable browser supposedly loved by power users. He fully realizes it won't ever have a large market share but feels there will be a definite niche market for it.

securitybreach

Epiphany

AOL Explorer

Really? I didn't know Safari was a fork of Konqueror.... Of course, I never used Safari either ;)

B)

Epiphany

AOL Explorer

Really? I didn't know Safari was a fork of Konqueror.... Of course, I never used Safari either ;)

B)

Well, it was a really long time ago, as computer time goes.

You were probably a wee little one then. o:)

securitybreach

Um....no I remember using Prodigy, Compuserve, etc. My first computer was a Tandy 1000 running MS-DOS 2.11 with DeskMate 1.0 (I used Apple IIs in school long before that). I was on quite a few BBSs as well. **** I was "hacking" AOL (AOHell) long before Safari came out.

Safari came out in 2003, are you kidding me? I was 25 then.....

Here I thought you were one of the young guns.

Dang, you must be almost as old as Eric and I.

Nope, I was 25 in 1987.

Edited by amenditman

V.T. Eric Layton

37... that was 1998 for me. I was working at Sears Home Services. I was unattached relationship-wise, but had a couple "regulars" I spent time with occasionally; no strings. I was driving my same ol' Chevy truck and my '85 Yamaha Virago motorcycle. It wasn't a bad year, but '99 went all to sh*t for me. :(

• Like 1

37 ... that was 1999 for me. Don't remember one d*%n thing from then. Hmmm!

How do you have such clear memories of times long gone, Eric?

Edited by amenditman
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

37 ... that was 1999 for me. Don't remember one d*%n thing from then. Hmmm!

How do you have such clear memories of times long gone, Eric?

I took notes.

• Like 1

Hey Eric .. I'm waiting for a virago at the minute. It's only a 250 . But what the heck ..it's a small island . Anyway the lad will get it soon enough and it will be a good starter bike for him ..

37x85.. computers were as big as busses then and had to be programmed with pre punched cards . Methusela was only a boy.. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Virago 250? Nice little bike. I had a pal who had one.

2007-yamaha-virago-250-1_600x0w.jpg

Isn't that the one that has the fake gas fill on the top of the tank and the real one is under the seat?

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... after checking, I don't think that little Virago was the one with the real gas tank under the seat. I must have it confused with something else.

www.bikepoint.com.au

Maybe this will work.

Sorry the font has taken on a will of it's own .

Whaddaya think of the leading link forks .