69 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   siebkens

siebkens

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:33 PM

So I can go to [insert computer store here] and buy an off-the-shelf mouse (OK- I'll check for compatibility) with scroll wheel & it will give the emacs extra choices like the right click on an IBM?  COOL!Thanks zox - I'll try the CTRL key & see what I can find!!   :D

#27 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:15 PM

siebkens :Congrats on the eMac, they are great computers!Zox is right about the Control button on the keyboard.  I would also agree that you should buy a 3rd party mouse.  All Logitech mice are compatible except for their Bluetooth models. Microsoft has also done a great job making sure their mice and keyboards are compatible.I have the Logitech Desktop Duo, keyboard and mouse combo.  It's great because it's wireless, and has a charging base station/reciever (one unit) that charges the mouse.  It's great!  Logitech also has the Mac equivalent key text printed on the keys (example the Windows key is "alt / option" and the PC "Alt" key is the "Apple logo / Command" key).  Microsoft doesn't print the PC and Mac text on the keys so you will be guessing if you get a MS keyboard.I would stick with Logitech, or Microsoft... or if you want to go with a different brand, just make sure it's compatible so you can customize the buttons etc on the mouse.WORD of WARNING!!! Do not get rid of your Apple Keyboard or Mouse!  They may be required if you ever need to contact Apple Care for support.  Example: You may need to hold down C when restarting to boot from the Hardware test CD.  A wired or wireless 3rd party keyboard MAY NOT WORK!  Just make sure you hold onto your original Apple keyboard and mouse.
The Lavender ribbon symbolizes/supports Cancer Awareness - As a cancer survivor, I wear a lavender ribbon. I'm an All-Things-Apple/Mac Enthusiast... You can visit my site, and get links to all of my online profiles at: http://7nk.us/me

#28 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:19 PM

kevinh, siebkens,If you haven't already, I would recommend looking over my most recent list of fav Mac apps... You might find some great apps![ List ] My Favorite Mac Apps
The Lavender ribbon symbolizes/supports Cancer Awareness - As a cancer survivor, I wear a lavender ribbon. I'm an All-Things-Apple/Mac Enthusiast... You can visit my site, and get links to all of my online profiles at: http://7nk.us/me

#29 OFFLINE   siebkens

siebkens

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:56 PM

Arena2045, on Apr 17 2004, 11:02 PM, said:

Congrats on the eMac, they are great computers!
Alas - they're not mine.  I only get to support them & use them from time to time. The elementary school got 25 emacs in a new lab & we've been having fun with them! :)

#30 OFFLINE   volunteer

volunteer

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

I bought a G3 266 Mhz, 256 Mb ram with OS X. It has a Zip drive too.  I bought it on Ebay for $149 including shipping.I'm reading "Mac OS X Jaguar Edition" by Robin Williams, good book.I'll add a few essential apps: Appleworks, FTP client, Safari, and Camino and .......So far I really like it.  It will be my main web surfer and email client.Ken

#31 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:56 PM

volunteer, on Jun 15 2004, 06:27 PM, said:

I bought a G3 266 Mhz, 256 Mb ram with OS X. It has a Zip drive too.  I bought it on Ebay for $149 including shipping.I'm reading "Mac OS X Jaguar Edition" by Robin Williams, good book.I'll add a few essential apps: Appleworks, FTP client, Sahara, and Camino and .......So far I really like it.  It will be my main web surfer and email client.Ken
Awesome!  Welcome aboard Ken!  Feel free to ask any questions  :P

#32 OFFLINE   volunteer

volunteer

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:02 PM

Arena2045, on Jun 15 2004, 06:58 PM, said:

volunteer, on Jun 15 2004, 06:27 PM, said:

I bought a G3 266 Mhz, 256 Mb ram with OS X. It has a Zip drive too.  I bought it on Ebay for $149 including shipping.I'm reading "Mac OS X Jaguar Edition" by Robin Williams, good book.I'll add a few essential apps: Appleworks, FTP client, Sahara, and Camino and .......So far I really like it.  It will be my main web surfer and email client.Ken
Awesome!  Welcome aboard Ken!  Feel free to ask any questions  :P
This is my training wheels  :D Maybe I'll move up to a G4 or G5 one of these days. :P It's fun and I like a challenge.

#33 OFFLINE   RichNRockville

RichNRockville

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:41 AM

I just bought a mini-mac and  am very pleased with it's operation.I can use my linksys attached printers and log into my windows 2003 network.all in all, I don't understand what all the fuss is about as I can use the mini-mac on myhome network just like any of the other 5 computers attached to it.I intend on upgrading the ram to 1gig so that I can try to run virtual pc for mac.:)I went for the faster processor and the super drive but I should have upgraded to 1gig raminstead of 512meg.But we live and learn.I like the Isight video camera, what a good clear picture and it goes with ichat. Havent' been able to figure out how it goes with yahoo chat yet but working on it.I also like the timed turn on and off options. :blink:

#34 OFFLINE   Dale Ray

Dale Ray

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:13 AM

iBook clamshell G3 300mHz, 198 MB RAM, 6 GB harddrive, OS 9.2, Airport cardiMac, G3 400 mHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB harddrive, OS 9.2 (I am going to install OS X)I bought these computers used because I started working at a newspaper where I use an iMac everyday. It drove me nuts not knowing the ins and outs of the computer, so I bought the iBook and liked it. I then bought the iMac.Both purchased on ebay.I am considering a Mini-Mac, but am waiting for Tiger to be released.

#35 OFFLINE   jtrapp

jtrapp

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

I bought an eMac when the Mini was released.  Rising expectations at the Mini rumors and then disapointment with the specs when it was released led to my eMac purchase.  Fail to see why Apple is stuck on the 1 button mouse.  My experience vastly increased when I finally broke down and bought a multi-button scroll wheel mouse.Besides Logitech and MS, Kensington is a good choice for a mouse.

Edited by jtrapp, 01 March 2005 - 01:49 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   Chrysler1924

Chrysler1924

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:16 PM

Greetings All, I'm using an Apple PowerBook G4 15", SuperDrive. I love the computer except for the fact that last month the harddrive died and I had to get it replaced. (Computer is only four months old!)I'm still learning the world of the Mac, as I just made the switch with this computer.-C

#37 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:23 PM

Congrats Chrysler1924!  The PowerBooks are great systems.  Feel free to post here in ATM if you have any questions, or if you find a really cool app and want to share it with the rest of the community.

#38 OFFLINE   siebkens

siebkens

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:59 PM

G4 ibook for Christmas! ;)  Wonder how my husband knew exactly what i wanted? :thumbsup: I'm back into mac & will be learning more!!  This forum, of course, was my first stop for information.  B)

Edited by siebkens, 21 December 2005 - 12:01 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:55 AM

I was given an iMac with OS9 and 128Mb RAM about a year ago.   I use it sparingly because I don't really know what to do with it  :w00t:  .   I did manage to upgrade to IE 5.1 for Mac all by myself  :P What will this puppy do?   I can surf with it but that's all I know how to do with it.   I come from the world of PC's and Windows  B)

Edited by daveydoom, 21 December 2005 - 08:56 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:42 AM

View Postdaveydoom, on Dec 21 2005, 07:55 AM, said:

What will this puppy do?   I can surf with it but that's all I know how to do with it.   I come from the world of PC's and Windows  :w00t:
What processor is in the system?
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#41 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:50 PM

I have no idea, I'll have to report back later tonight when I'm home.Cheers, Dave

#42 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

PowerPC G3 400 MHz.   I have no idea what that's equivalent to in PC terms (not that it really matters)  :hysterical:

Edited by daveydoom, 21 December 2005 - 08:54 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:22 PM

Does this look like the system?  If you can get a DVD drive in it, you should be able to upgrade to OS X.  You'll also need some more RAM.  While you wouldn't want to use this system for any heavy CPU processes, it should work fine for e-mail, web browsing, etc.I come from a long Windows background, starting with Win 3.1.  I've been using Macs and OS X for a couple of years now, and love it.  I've still got a Windows PC at home for a couple of needs, but since I started using my iMac (G4 700 Mhz), I've added an iBook for my wife and a Powerbook for me.  I find that I use the Powerbook every day.  I use the iMac desktop system every couple of days, and the Windows box (XP Home) about once a week.
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#44 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:07 AM

Actually, it looks like this one.Is it hard to add more RAM?   I have no idea how to do it in a Mac and I'm not really interested in spending any money on it but I would like to know how to do it.   I will probably continue to use it for surfing as I have been doing.   I could also use it to access my web based emails.Just cool to play around with  :)Thanks for your time so far  :devil: .Dave

Edited by daveydoom, 22 December 2005 - 08:10 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I added memory to my iMac and my wife's iBook.  Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!  :devil:   Just don't buy Apple's memory.  It's too expensive.  I've never used OS 9, but I think if you upgrade to OS X, you'll be very happy.

#46 OFFLINE   Ghost

Ghost

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

Well it is technically not mine but I was able to talk my boss into getting me a Mac.  :w00t:Processor 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel XeonMemory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMMSo far I have no complaints. Everything has been great. I am still learning about the utilities and features that I am not used to!

#47 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

*wipes the drool off the desk.....*Wow. 2 3GHz dual core processors? Wow! B) B)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#48 OFFLINE   Ghost

Ghost

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:37 AM

View Postross549, on Nov 9 2006, 11:34 AM, said:

*wipes the drool off the desk.....*Wow. 2 3GHz dual core processors? Wow! :w00t: B)
Yes I was surprised myself! The machine really does rip through the little tasks I have given it.Now if I could talk them into buying me one for home  :w00t:

#49 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:54 AM

Currently my main Mac is a 2.0GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro 15 w/2GB RAM and the 120GB 5400-rpm hard drive. My Computerworld-supplied Mac is the same model with the 100GB 7200-rpm drive.But ... my new Mac (which was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but now won't arrive until next week) is a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 17 with 2GB RAM and the 160GB 5400-rpm hard drive and the glossy screen. Needless to say, I'm very happy (even before I get it), very much in hock (although I managed to get a great deal), and very fed up with Vista after all the reviews I've done of it over the last 5 years. Right now, it's Mac time.We'll see how long I can truly stay away from Windows though.  B) -- Scot
Scot Finnie, Business & Technology Writer, Editor (that's me in the upper left corner)

#50 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

I am undecided which Mac to buy though. I still have to define what my real needs are. I probably won't make a real decision until Photoshop CS 3 is released next year. B)

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users