boot sector problems

merlyn

Hi. I am running Win ME and have had a querky issue for the past two weeks. While working one night an error message, generated by Norton AV popped up telling me that the boot sector had changed and asked wether or not this was expected. I answered yes since I had been playing with dos, actually trying to implement PureDos, a day or so before. That whole attempt caused major problems. I'm still not sure why. The machine wouldn't reboot and I had to try a few different tools to get it back up. Then, after a crash, Bill's Blue Screem of Death, scandisk reported problems with the boot sector( I'm not sure about the error message content). Ever since crashes are more freqent and scandisk reports the same boot error on reboot. Any ideas?Merlyn

Gads!!! :) Let me see, ur running ME with Norton and ur getting error messages at times....? :unsure: I don't think i'll tell U just how lucky u are. :) Do ur self a favor and buy any OS (NOT ME), format and install it and forget about "N" and get the freebie AVG virus software and get back if u need any help doing this.I hope this isn't too derogatory, but u have the worst scenario with above average result's.

Guest ThunderRiver

Do you use any financial software like Quicken? Apparently Quicken uses MacroVision piracy protection measure which modifies your boot sector, and sometimes things can become quite disasterous. Well, wish you well. I suggest you to get a Windows ME boot disk. and boot into it, and typesys a: c:That command will copy the system boot sector files onto C drive which I assume to be your system partition.

muckshifter

Your AV program was just doing it job … you chose to ignore it, big mistake.FDISK/MBR is DANGEROUSI almost never recommend the use of the /MBR switch with FDISK. If used incorrectly, it can make access to your partitions impossible. Do not use if your machine has a drive overlay, or more than 4 primary partitions.Try ThunderRiver's sugestion first.Good luck