IE6.0SP1

donmor

Running IE 6.0 SP1 with Win98SE on Toshiba 2520 Laptop. Every time I shut down IE, I loose all control of my computer. I can not start any other programs or access the start menu. Must shut down via power button. Worked fine until I installed Picture it 2000. Made a change to IE and messed it up good. Reinstalled win98se and IE 6.0 SP1 and that didn't help. Picture it is now uninstalled. When I try to update IE6, the message said that I do not have IE6 and I have reinstalled it twice.Any help would be appreciated.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but some things there's no known help for.Lesson learned: Hang back on service packs. In fact, think twice before you install something as new as IE 6.0 on something as old as Windows 98. People do this everyday without problems, but I have to tell you that when you mix age groups of Microsoft software, you very definitely increase your risk of getting into a no-win situation.Check the Microsoft Knowledgebase:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspxThis is really the best thing I can offer you. Call Microsoft. Explain the problem.Also: Never reinstall Internet Explorer over itself. Always uninstall it first, if you can. When you reinstall it like that, you kill all chances of ever uninstalling it.I'm not all that familiar with problems with Picture It! But Microsoft may be. So, again, use the KB search and call Microsoft.If nothing works, you're probably facing one of two things:1. Living with it. (Have you tried Mozilla's Phoenix browser?)2. Reinstalling Windows by doing a partial or full clean install. :unsure: Hope this helps.-- Scot

muckshifter

I agree with Scot here, your going to have to do a clean install to get out of this mess, sorry.IE 6 was designed for use with XP … MS, in their wisdom, released IE 6 to the public … MS continually make mistakes … In general most people have not had a problem, it works with their “set-up/configuration†as promised.We, in the know, know different … my advice to 9x/ME users is stick with IE 5.5, it works well.As for “Picture It†… sorry, I’ll leave that to people who have tried it. I’ll stick to what I know. :rolleyes:

Want to thank you both for your help. I have reformatted several times so will once again. This time I will try IE 5.5. IE6 has worked very well for me for several months before this misshap.Once again, thank you.Don