DayZ Looks Like It Will Come To Linux In Future

securitybreach

securitybreach

DayZ is the massively popular open world zombie survival game that re-started the genre for a lot of people, and it looks like the developer wants to bring it to Linux.

Speaking on reddit Dean Hall "rocket2guns" stated this

A decoupled renderer makes opengl not only possible, but likely. Which achieves a linux port. Hypothetically speaking, one could say that is what ive always wanted....

Source

I think that's pretty solid confirmation that they will at least look into it in future, but considering he stated Linux so specifically it's already deeply rooted in his mind at least.

http://youtu.be/3ss1dckHhfI

http://www.gamingonl...in-future.4150/

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I love zombies! That looks very interesting. Have you played this yet, Josh? I don't even care about Linux. I'd play it in Windows.

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... this thing is only in early-alpha stages right now. If they do it right, this is going to be one VERY COOL game! I don't want to be an alpha or beta tester, so I'll wait till the finished product hits the streets, I guess. It might take another year before beta happens according to some of the reading I just did on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DayZ_(video_game)

V.T. Eric Layton

No Windows? Must get stuffy in there with no cross breeze. ;)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

I have not Eric as I do not have a window's partition anymore...

Neither do I ! Mind you I do have a dedicated ssd with Windows Gaming Edition installed :worthy: :Laughing:

Love shooting zombies :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400: For an alternative zombie experience have a look at Project Zomboid. I bought it with lifetime updates when it was just in its first beta stage and very raw and basic. I could see the vision of the developer though and it looks like he is making a very cool game indeed. Have not had time to look in on it lately but caught a quick look at a latest you tube clip and was pretty impressed with the games development.

http://projectzomboid.com/ :Smiley-IPB-400: :Smiley-IPB-400:

Ah... this thing is only in early-alpha stages right now. If they do it right, this is going to be one VERY COOL game! I don't want to be an alpha or beta tester, .....

I'm sure it's very playable already (on Windows). They rave about it on the local gamers tv show Good Game, and it was voted no.62 in the top 100 games by Aussie viewers.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/stories/s4065784.htm

Zombies are not my thing though, I prefer Need For Speed or Tomb Raider although Portal2 is my next game to play.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, Roger... it does look like a fully-fledged game already. Myeh... you never know. I'm might give 'er a go sometime. I have something else in the works at the moment, though. There's a heavily re-worked version of an excellent STALKER - Call of Pripyat mod that I just downloaded last night. I'm very interested to see how this thing looks/plays. It's on my agenda for later this evening, maybe.

STALKER - Call of Pripyat --> MISERY mod

An aside... I recognized a lot of scenery in that DayZ game. The reason being, its setting is "Eastern Europe," most likely Ukraine around Pripyat/Chernobyl. It even looks like they've borrowed some scenes and textures from the STALKER series of games/mods.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting, but nope. I've never seen ARMA 2 (or 1, either) till I looked them up just a few moments ago. :)

Oh, and the MISERY mod turned out to be a bit buggy. I'm going to have to tweak some vid settings to make it playable, I think. Oh, well...

V.T. Eric Layton

I was on Steam last night, Josh, reading some of the user reviews for DayZ. They are frickin' HILARIOUS! Here are a couple of my favs:

The Tick says,

You start off randomly spawned in the area of Chanarus, most likely near the coasts. You are equipped with clothes, a battery, and a flashlight. Shortly afterwards you are hungry and thirsty.

Your main objective is to find buildings and search for food and drink and then a melee weapon. Don't know where you are at? Find a online map of Chanarus and look for town signs and landmarks. Once you've found where you are at, make your way to the nearest town for supplies. Keep in mind your current clothes allow for very little inventory, so you'll want to look for new clothes in order to carry more items.

OK, so you've managed to find a can of soda, a can of tuna, and some gloves. Good start. Now you'll want to continue... wait. Is that a zombie you hear? Yep. He sees you. Go back inside that house and shut the door. Everyone knows they don't know how to use doors because THEY CAN CLIP THROUGH THE FREAKING WALLS!!! AHHHHHH!!!

Alright, after you've put down the zombie with a hammer, you'll want to take care of the warm red stuff squirting out from your body. Take off your shirt and rip it into rags. Now use the rags as bandages. Good as new. Carefully move on to the... What? Hungry again? But you just ate 3 minutes ago. Pull out the can of beans you found and... crap. You need something sharp to open the can. Keep looking. Maybe the guy rapidly coming at you screaming "HEY YOU! I WANT TO AXE YOU A FEW QUESTIONS!" can be of some assistance. Calmly face him and...

You start off randomly spawned in the area of Chanarus, most likely near the coasts. You are equipped with clothes, a battery, and a flashlight. Shortly afterwards you are hungry and thirsty. Is that some fruit on the ground? Oh lucky day! Pick up the fruit, dust off the mold, and take a bite. Feeling a little sick? It's probably nothing. Just keep moving...

You start off randomly spawned in the area of Chanarus, most likely near the coasts. You are equipped with clothes, a battery, and a flashlight. Shortly afterwards you are hungry and thirsty. You find a barn with some steps.

You start off randomly spawned in the area of Chanarus, most likely near the coasts. You are equipped with clothes, a battery, and a flashlight. Shortly afterwards you are hungry and thirsty. You look up to find another newly spawned user who is disoriented but has a cool hat. You look down and find an axe. Now you have a cool hat and two sets of clothes, batteries, and flashlights...

2H2K Johnsy88 says,

Day1:Lost.......Tried to be nice to someone to get some help......punched and knocked out......Woke up in my underpants

Day2:Found new pants, Found a pistol..........tried to make a friend..........handcuffed after trying to recieve food and knocked out..............woke up in my underpants

Day3:Decided not to trust anyone (they steal your jeans) , Found an airfield and dressed like G:I Joe, Found an m4 and ammo............punched in the head whilst crouching..........everything stolen and woke up in my pants

Day4:Went back to airfield, Found a pistol, saw a guy running towards me shouting "friendly" (was worried about ending up in my pants at this point)....................Shot "friendly" guy in head and stole his jeans................

HAHAHA! :hysterical:

It's too bad it's $29 to try this out. I'd like to give it a go just for funzies, but cannot justify the $$$ to do it. :(

• Like 1

securitybreach

Same here but once it is stable, I may end up buying it. There will probably be a sale when it first hits steam so I will likely snag it then. B)

• Like 1