Beating the Bushes for the Best Linux Browsers

V.T. Eric Layton

Good article -- thanks for the link.

Right now, I use Chromium most of the time, but I don't think I'll ever rely on only one web browser, or have only one browser installed here.

Pale Moon wasn't mentioned in the article, but I think that's the next one I'll be trying.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm completely converted to Chromium (from Firefox) these days, but I still keep FF, Seamonkey, Opera, and Google Chrome on my systems in addition to Chromium. Browsers are like Lays potato chips, it seems. ;)

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I too do not use only one browser, or OS for that matter. ;)

I use Google Chrome and Firefox, Pale Moon, Opera, and even Internet Explorer on sites that do not like the others (few and far between these days).

I like syncing my settings, extensions and bookmarks across platforms though in Google Chrome. I encrypt all that with a secure password.

My first love in browsers was Firefox back when it first came out under Phoenix and ever since. I still love it. I still use it.

securitybreach

Well I guess I am the only one... I use one browser, chromium.

Other than that, I use wget as an 'alternative'... B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Let me clarify a bit....

I use ONLY one browser also -- Chromium. However, I have all those others I mentioned installed on my system. Occasionally, I'll use Opera to view a website that Chromium didn't render properly or had blocked in some way due to extension settings. I also use Seamonkey primarily for its Composer HTML/WYSIWG editor.

And I use IE on my Win 7 installations. I don't have much of a need to access the Internet when in Windows, but when I do, IE is the browser there.

wget? Man! Too techie for me. ;)

• Like 2

Cluttermagnet

What was that Chromium variant that was sanitized of all the Google snooping?

Is it still viable and supported? Anyone using that one?

V.T. Eric Layton

As stated above, Clutter, I use Chromium as my primary browser in Slackware. I'm loving it! It's fast. It's not a resource hog. It rarely ever crashes. It's a lean, mean browsing machine. ;)

Err... a variant of Chromium? I'm not sure what that is that you're referring to. Chromium is the original open source project that Google Chrome is base upon. The two streams are nearly identical these days, though. My Chromium is nearly identical in form/function to the Google Chrome I also have installed in my Slackware, minus any Google branding, etc.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Guest LilBambi

Yep, Google released the open source project when they released Google Chrome back in Sept. 2008:

Welcome to Chromium

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Today, Google launched a new web browser called Google Chrome. At the same time, we are releasing all of the code as open source under a permissive BSD license. The open source project is called Chromium - after the metal used to make chrome.

Why did Google release the source code?

Primarily it's because one of the fundamental goals of the Chromium project is to help drive the web forward. Open source projects like Firefox and WebKit have led the way in defining the next generation of web technologies and standards, and we felt the best way we could help was to follow suit, and be as open as we could. To be clear, improving the web in this way also has some clear benefits for us as a company. With a richer set of APIs we can build more interesting apps allowing people to do more online. The more people do online, the more they can use our services. At any rate, we have worked on this project by ourselves for long enough - it's time for us to engage with the wider web community so that we can move on to the next set of challenges.

We believe that open source works not only because it allows people to join us and improve our products, but also (and more importantly) because it means other projects are able to use the code we've developed. Where we've developed innovative new technology, we hope that other projects can use it to make their products better, just as we've been able to adopt code from other open source projects to make our product better.

How will we be working with the open source community?

To begin with, we are engaging with the WebKit community to integrate our patches back into the main line of WebKit development. Because of Chromium's unique multi-process architecture, the integration of the V8 Javascript engine, and other factors, we've built a fairly significant port of WebKit on Windows, and are developing the same for Mac OS X and Linux. We want to make sure that we can find a productive way to integrate and sync up with the WebKit community in this effort as we move forward.

Today, you can visit our project website at www.chromium.org, where you can get the latest source code or the freshest development build. If you're interested in keeping track of what's going on, you can join one of our discussion groups, where you can participate in development discussions and keep track of bugs as they're filed and fixed. Maybe you'll want to fix a few, too! You'll also find information on reporting bugs and all the various other aspects of the project. We hope you'll check it out!

This is the Chromium blog. The posts here will be of a mostly technical nature, discussing the design theory and implementation details of work we've done or are doing. Over the next few weeks there'll be a number of posts that give a high level tour of the most important aspects of the browser.

Finally, if you've not yet done so, take Google Chrome for a spin. You can download it fromhttp://www.google.com/chrome/.

Posted by Ben Goodger, Software Engineer

I use the same browsers in Windows as I do in Linux - Firefox and Google Chrome. I find that Chrome works best with PepperFlash but in some places like my "Watch Forum" Firefox works better - especially with embedded video. You can get Chromium to work with PepperFlash but the way Linux Mint/Debian does it is to download Chrome, not install it and snip the PepperFlash code out for installation in Chromium. I felt I might as well install Chrome from the get-go.

Cluttermagnet

Ahhh- I'm quite sure I heard about some variant of Chromium right here in these forums. Did it have the word Iron in it? Like maybe Iron Forge or something? Anyway, the story at the time was that Chromium spied on you and this 'Iron' variant did not. It was presented as a basically 'cleaned up' Chromium. But it was a little more geeky to install, perhaps? Don't remember if I ever actually ran it or not. Anyone? I'm quite sure I am not imagining this thing I'm asking about...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Yes, originally I heard about Iron Browser from Josh and tried it out, but prefer to get updates immediately with browsers so I changed to Google Chrome and Chromium on the Raspberry Pi for my Google Chrome variants.

Cluttermagnet

So I guess I'll give Chromium a try in Linux Mint...

Well, that was painless. Downloaded and installed by Synaptic from the repositories.

Anyone want to mention their recommended extensions for security? The equivalent

of NoScript is what I guess I'm fishing for here...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I decided to try going back to mainly using Firefox (instead of Chromium) for awhile. In my Wheezy Xfce installation, I went back to running Iceweasel; it's still at version 24.7, but I'm okay with it.

But then I added Pale Moon in a few distros. Pale Moon is very nice. I don't know which is better, overall, between Firefox and Pale Moon. The fact that Pale Moon can use Firefox extensions is huge; I didn't realize how much I'd appreciate that until after I got Pale Moon installed.

I'd be happier if Pale Moon was found in distros' main repos. I did see it in AUR.

In any case, whether it's Firefox or Pale Moon or a combination of both (or even ol' Iceweasel), I want to see how I get along without Chrome/Chromium..

• Like 1

securitybreach

Yeah, prettty much anything is available in the normal repos or AUR. I guess because it's so easy to build an AUR package of anything.

Cluttermagnet

I've been playing with Chromium lately. I seem to be taking to it well. Bet I keep using it, though I'm not dropping FF.

I'm running Chromium right now from within a live-DVD session of Knoppix.

I would sorely miss NoScript, however, and need to learn what equivalent extensions there may be.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

One of my biggest fears when going to Chromium was that I would lose all my nifty extensions. Believe me... there are equivalents for all the FF extensions at the Google Chrome Store; tons of other goodies, too.

Become assimilated. It won't hurt you none. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, here are my extensions...

Adblock Plus 1.8.3

The free adblock tool for Chrome: Blocks annoying video ads on YouTube, Facebook ads, banners and much more.

Bookmark Sentry (scanner) 1.7.21

A bookmark scanner that checks for duplicate and bad links.

DoNotTrackMe: Online Privacy Protection 3.2.1139

Protect your privacy. Stop companies & advertisers from tracking your browsing and sending you spam email.

Downloadr - Download Manager 0.5.8

Manage your downloads directly from your browser's toolbar. Forget the fat download shelf for good.

FlashBlock 0.9.34

FlashBlock for Chrome. Block them all, or be selective with the embedded whitelist manager

Foxtab Speed Dial 9.4.24

A great, easy and intuitive way to customize your new tab page with your own favorite sites

HTTPS Everywhere 2014.6.26

Encrypt the Web! Automatically use HTTPS security on many sites.

LastPass: Free Password Manager 3.1.53

LastPass, an award-winning password manager, saves your passwords and gives you secure access from every computer and mobile device.

Minimal Bookmarks Tree 1.1

Display a tree of bookmarks under a toolbar button, and search your bookmarks in the omnibox using the keyword 'bm'.

ScriptBlock 1.0

A smart extension that controls javascript, iframes, and plugins on Google Chrome.

Scroll To Top Button 6.3.1

Adds a scroll to top or bottom button.

TinyURL 1.0

This extension creates a tinyurl for the current browser tab.

Xmarks Bookmark Sync 1.0.28

Backup and sync your bookmarks and open tabs across computers and browsers. Xmarks is also available for Firefox, Safari and IE.

Google Chrome Store

Cluttermagnet

One of my biggest fears when going to Chromium was that I would lose all my nifty extensions. Believe me... there are equivalents for all the FF extensions at the Google Chrome Store; tons of other goodies, too.

Become assimilated. It won't hurt you none. ;)

Uh- 'store'? Is this free software or purchased?

V.T. Eric Layton

Free, man. Free. Everything from Uncle Google is free. Join the fun! You can be Clutterborg - 14 of 37. ;)

borg.jpg

Speaking of becoming assimilated...

I've decided that DuckDuckGo, Bing, Yahoo, and others just do not give the awesome search results that Google does, so I've set all my default search engines back to Google. I'm feeling more borg-ish every day. :yes:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

The inside joke here, Cap'n, is that I've been a serious Google-basher for a few years now. I was treated unkindly by them back then. It cost me $$$. I was angry. Besides, Google is a giant uncaring data stealing mega-corporation out to rule the world, but that's OK. They off some mighty fun and useful free stuff. I think I'll just jump on board with the rest of the sheeple and grab me some. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It's a Google skin. I'm a firm believer in voting for Cthulhu... why settle for the lesser evil? ;)

• Like 1