Linux Red Hat 9 boot problem

Borst

I am having a problem with booting RH 9. The problem started late last week. While running in RH, X crashed and rebooted. When it rebooted, I got the following errors:Start service eth0Bringing up interface eth0: IP: error while loading shared libraries: libresolv.so.2: cannont open object file: No such file or directory.3c59x device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.Start service sshd: sshd:/usr/sbin/sshd: error while loading shared libraries: libresolv.so.2: cannont open object file: No such file or directory.Start service cups: error while loading shared libraries: libresolv.so.2: cannont open object file: No such file or directory.INIT: Id "x" is respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.When I shut RH down, I get the following:stopping NFS statd [Failed]I can log in without x. I have gone to /lib to verify that libresolv.so.2 exists. When I go there, it is present but is listed in red.I have tried the followin, with no success:1. Gone through interactive boot and not loaded the offending services (or those dependant upon libresolv.so.2.2. Physically removed my ethernet card and rebooted. Kudzu removed the configuration for the ethernet card.3. Installed a different (spare) ethernet card.Any suggestions how I correct this problem?TIABorst

I am not a Red Hat person but there are not too many on line tonight. Since the offending file is listed in red I would assume there is a problem with it. I would either do a reinstall or try this command: redhat -config-xfree86If that does not work you might try http://www.redhat.com/apps/support.If you can find the file on your CDs or elsewhere and replace that might help. Good luck.

Guest LilBambi

I think tranquilo probably hit the nail on the head.Often a red link indicates a broken symlink.I would update your slocate datebase (as root, type 'rebuilddb' -- sans '' -- at the / command prompt), then type 'slocate libresolve.so.2' -- again sans '' -- to show the location(s) of the file(s)/symlinks for libresolve.so.2.When you locate the actual files (not the symlink(s) that are broken. You may be able to edit the symlink to the actual path to the file if it shows as a different path.I usually use mc for this, there is an option for edit symlink in the file menu options of mc (midnight commander).I have done this in the past, but you have to be sure that you get the actual file's location not the symlinks that may be in different locations.TRICK for telling the difference between files and symlinks: easiest way is use mc to look at each one there is an @ symbol in front of symlinks. Also from the ls command you should see an @ symbol after files that are symlinks as well.BTW: Have you recently upgraded any programs on your Redhat system that might have had dependency issues and you chose to force the install?

Welcome Borst!The file you need is libresolv-2.3.2.so. See if you can extract it from your install CDs. Copying it back to the /lib directory should fix the link. If you can't find the file, PM me and I can email you the file. Without the resolver library you will not be able to use TCP/IP networking: it depends on that library to resolve host names to IP addresses. All your networking services depend on it.