Totally Free

raymac46

It must suck to be Richard Stallman. Aside from going around trying to tell everyone "it's 'GNU/Linux' not 'Linux' you fools," RS has to use a totally free version when he runs Linux. That means something obscure, outdated possibly, geeky and missing codecs, firmware for wireless and CPU, video drivers, etc.

My adventures with Debian (a really nice distro in many ways) have convinced me that I could never be a hard core FSF guy. Just getting Debian installed without the firmware for wireless meant I had to sit next to the router plugging my Thinkpad into an Ethernet port. In one way that's good; speeds were much better - but in another, annoying. I had to get some Intel firmware just for wireless and Intel is one of the best at Linux compatibility.

You can run a distro based on FSF only packages and even get a machine with it preinstalled but your choices are so restricted I don't see a lot of freedom at the end of it all. How do you feel about going totally free in your implementation of GNU/Linux?

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 3

Hedon James

I'm totally onboard with Stallman's vision and his mission with the FSF. However, I'm not able to follow in his footprints, to the same extent that he advocates....purism.

Unfortunately, we live in a world FULL of proprietary implementations and attempted lock-ins. NOT a fan of that business model, as it tells me the vendor believes their customers could (and possibly would?!) go elsewhere if they weren't already locked-in with invested efforts/formats/fees. And if the vendor believes that, it tells me they are NOT the best choice. JMO...

I will attempt to use open and FSF software whenever and wherever possible. But when it just isn't possible, or just isn't sufficient to get the job done in the manner that I need it done, I will absolutely use a proprietary software to get it done. And in those rare instances when the proprietary software is head & shoulders above its peers, with features or stability or some other important metric, I will even consider paying for it. But in BOTH of those use cases, I am pulling real hard for Stallman and the FSF to improve the open/libre offering to the point where I can switch to their offering...and I WILL do that when it's an option.

I admire his efforts and am fundamentally on-board with his mission, but for myself (and many other folks like me) it just isn't practical to implement a purist philosophy...at least not yet. I believe in the "right tool for the job"...and unfortunately, sometimes the proprietary tool is the correct one. I prefer the open/libre software, but will use proprietary if I have to, and will even pay for it if it is actually THAT good. I'm a practical realist...

And I'll also make donations to the open/libre projects that I believe have the ability (now, or in the near future) to replace proprietary offerings...JMO...

• Like 2

I totally agree in principle as well. I make it a habit to run FOSS software even in Windows. But in practice I find it impossible to do without wifi on a laptop, or be unable to play an MP3 in Linux. Right now I'm doing my best to use FOSS video stacks but that is pretty easy if you have Intel or AMD video solutions.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I think all this utopian dreaming is a wonderful thing. However, I use whatever works for me; be it in computers, automobiles, eBook readers, or grocery store purchases. I'm loyal to no stores, brands, manufacturers, etc. I'm loyal to the best deal I can get for my measly $$$. Free is even gooder.

• Like 3

securitybreach

The only thing I use that is not open source is the Nvidia driver for my desktop. Luckily all my laptops are either intel based or anthegros so there is no need to install any proprietary stuff. I strongly believe in open source but sometimes a closed driver is required.

• Like 2

Hedon James

I was gonna post about the MP3 codec being public domain now, but you beat me to it!

MP3 is a perfect example, IMO, of wanting to use libre/free codecs (OGG and FLAC), but can't without sacrificing compatibility. So I settled on MP3 for universal compatibility and was okay with that. On the other end of the spectrum, I spent a LONG TIME identifying DRM in *.wav files purchased from Microsoft for my Zune, and DRM in *.aac files purchased from Crapple. Not only were Crapple music files DRMed, they also restricted by ability to listen to MY music, that I PAID for, to only 3 devices at any time. I ripped ALL DRM from my music, converted to MP3, and never looked back. I would've gladly ripped to OGG or FLAC if they were universally compatible across all devices I own. But they aren't, so MP3 is the winner, and with DRM removed permanently, I may still convert MP3s to OGGs or FLACs in the future, if necessary and/or prudent.

I've done something similar with video files and MP4s, for the exact same reason. On the spectrum of usability and preferences, free/libre codecs would be my preference for everything. On the other end of the spectrum, DRM is supremely offensive....I won't support it AT ALL and won't even purchase products that enable it (no Crapple in this house...EVER!). I will do whatever is necessary to hack it and crack it. MP3/MP4 is a happy medium...not exactly what I hoped for, but not inconvenient enough to do anything different. And so it goes with my overall philosophy of free/libre vs. proprietary offerings. JMO...

securitybreach

On the other end of the spectrum, I spent a LONG TIME identifying DRM in *.wav files purchased from Microsoft for my Zune, and DRM in *.aac files purchased from Crapple.

Wow, you were one of the few who actually bought a Zune! That is amazing in itself.

Hedon James

On the other end of the spectrum, I spent a LONG TIME identifying DRM in *.wav files purchased from Microsoft for my Zune, and DRM in *.aac files purchased from Crapple.

Wow, you were one of the few who actually bought a Zune! That is amazing in itself.

Haha! Not just one, but several! Researched the specs and determined that the Zune, hands down, was a much superior device and platform than the iPod. Therefore, obviously, that platform was going to win the battle! Also quite obviously, I forgot the lesson in the VHS vs. Beta struggles.

P.S. Still have the Zunes and they still work just fine! Seems that someone finally cracked the handshake encryption key, so Zunes are usable in Linux now, although maybe just as portable drives. Not sure... I hopped on the Android train as soon as it arrived at the station, and my music collection of 30GB+ songs is located on a hacked HTC Evo that I refer to as my "A-Pod". And if I choose, I can swap out the Music sd card for a Video sd card and "cast" to a flatscreen while on vacation. Crapple never allowed for this (at least back then they didn't...maybe now?) and it made for MUCH lighter packing!

securitybreach

Nice. I couldn't tell you the last time that I actually had any music on my phones. I just streaming everything nowadays via Google Play Music.