The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Dec 14th in theaters

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - IMDb - December 14, 2012 in theaters

The Original The Hobbit book made into a movie that finally should be what many Tolkien fans would be happy with (like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings series of movies).

And yes! Peter Jackson is the Director!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks Josh for bringing this up on chat!

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/66285-new-hobbit-trailer-seeks-the-mountain

We first learned about the trailer earlier this week when the studio posted a short promotional video and poster teasing the big event. Frankly, I thought it was a bit silly at first to tease a teaser. Yes, it's a strange trend born of a quickened cinema news cycle, but this trailer may have been worth it - as the footage comprises new and compelling material.
:shifty:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - IMDb - December 14, 2012 in theaters

The Original The Hobbit book made into a movie that finally should be what many Tolkien fans would be happy with (like Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings series of movies).

And yes! Peter Jackson is the Director!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks Josh for bringing this up on chat!

Yeah this is a must see for me as well. I found about it about a month ago when a friend of mine invited me to go see the latest Batman movie. I saw the previews for it.

Peter Jackson did such a phenomenal job with the first 3... I'm eager to see how this one will be.

Guest LilBambi

I loved The Hobbit first, and from a much younger age than the Lord of the Rings books, but better, not sure about that. I love them all so much!

I can't imagine Peter Jackson doing a poor job of The Hobbit after doing such a phenomenal job with The Lord of the Rings movies.

yes, it is amazing (in these days) that any movie has such high production values.

and what is really amazing is that each of the 3 movies matched each other in quality and content. (of course, this was achieved by continuously shooting until all 3 were done.) these weren't your average sequals (of course, they weren't sequals at all) where 2 is worse than 1 and 3 would be crap.

:hmm: 'empire strikes back' was better than 'the new hope' , 'godfather' and 'godfather II' are a push, 'alian' and 'alian II' darn close, 'wrath of khan' much better than 'the motion picture'* , 'from russia with love' better than 'dr no'.

that's all i can come up with, so yeah, i agree sequels aren't worth the effort :)

* though i would submit the first movie was more ambitious.

And usually what made that first movie special- introducing the characters, getting them to all work together to resolve the central plot, etc.- is not able to be done in a sequel. Few exceptions exist and have been cited above.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Personally, I would be very surprised if Peter Jackson didn't do a fine job, actually, but it is good to know he did a fine job, Temmu! Yea! Can't wait to see it!

• 2 months later...

Is it true that the movie is being made in three parts or did I read that wrong somewhere? I don't really like how they break a book up into parts to make more than one movie these days it just seems like a way to make more money.

• 8 months later...
Guest LilBambi

Things have changed again! Eight months ago right about the time this movie came out, they (screenrant.com) correctly indicated that the second one would come out December 13, 2013 and the third one was to come out July 18, 2014:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey hits theaters December 14th, 2012. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug hits theaters December 13th, 2013. And finally, The Hobbit: There and Back Again hits theaters July 18th, 2014.

Now everywhere is saying it won't be out till December 17, 2014!

Wikipedia doesn't even give a date in 2014:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is an upcoming 2013 epic fantasy adventure film co-written, produced and directed by Peter Jackson. It is the second installment of a three-part film series based on J. R. R. Tolkien's 1937 novel The Hobbit, beginning with An Unexpected Journey (2012) and set to conclude with There and Back Again (2014).

IMDb says The Hobbit: There and Back Again comes out December 17, 2014:

The Hobbit: There and Back Again (2014)

Adventure | Fantasy - 17 December 2014 (USA)

I would be surprised if the two movies are released that closely together. I bet one will be out this Christmas, and the other next Christmas.

If they released close to each other, I bet more than a few people would wait for the DVD release and watch it at home.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that is what I am talking about. They are doing the second one December this year (2013) and the third one December next year (2014).

Originally it was going to be third one in Summer next year (2014), but apparently they changed their collective minds on it.

Guest LilBambi

Cool! A bit long for me, but I am sure others will love to watch it! I know I would love to watch it. Wish it was up here while I was at Starbucks on their wifi earlier LOL!

• 3 years later...

Bump ! As it has not been so busy on here lately I've taken to reading some of the posts and topics from wayback.

So now just to fill in even more time in the long winter evenings I've dug out the @Lord of the Rings " boxed set .

Have to admit that for me it hasn't dated . It's just as enthralling as when the movies first came out .

Yagoddaluvit :clap:

• Like 1

Bump ! As it has not been so busy on here lately I've taken to reading some of the posts and topics from wayback.

So now just to fill in even more time in the long winter evenings I've dug out the @Lord of the Rings " boxed set .

Have to admit that for me it hasn't dated . It's just as enthralling as when the movies first came out .

Yagoddaluvit :clap:

I totally agree! The wife and I watch them at least once a year. I really enjoy the "Making Of" disks to see the work that their crew put into making the movie. Capt, you might also enjoy the three Hobbit movies. They're greatly expanded from the original book, especially the final film - "The Battle Of The Five Armies". Very well done.